Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne S Diesel - newbie (daft) auto question alert

coopertrooper2001

Not strictly a newbie as I have been on here since 2013 with my 996, but picked up this beauty at the weekend and like to think I got deal of the year (and its only Jan).

http://www.imperials.co.uk/used-car...ate-meteor-grey-automatic-diesel-id_7270.aspx

Its an OPC Ex Demo car so it has more spec than you can shake a stick at.

One question I have and I cant help feeling its a daft question. Its our first automatic. What should you do when stopping at traffic lights/queus etc when you know you will be stuck for a 30 seconds +.

1. Shift to neutral and put the hand brake on.
2. Shift to park (with or without handbrake)
3. Leave it in drive with foot on brake.
4. Some other option?

Has auto start stop too, hence I think option 1 is the best.

Concerned about warping the discs if its a hard stop. Have also read about transmission wear going into netural all the time (this is possibly older style boxes).

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Turn on your stop start and it does it all for you

You will however need to keep your foot on the brake

To answer the basis of your question, it is completely normal to leave the vehicle in D whilst halted. We were like yourself when we first got one, but now had auto's for a number of years. If the halt is going to be a while (a few minutes) then I move to P, thats the safest as there is no way it can move off, and i don't need any brakes held on, doesn't really take any longer to get it into D than from N. But normal traffic delays its usually held on the foot brake

The handbrake is 'drive off' type, so if its on and you're ready to set off just press the throttle. So when stopped you could put the handbrake on, leave car in D and just press the throttle to drive off - I think though auto/stop start doesn't shut the engine down if only braking is the handbrake.

Shame Porsche didn't use a brake hold system like Mercedes that can hold the car on flat, slope or whatever, with no need to keep the brake pedal pressed, although that's using the foot braking system.

I've not heard of any disc warping issues

Nice beast , good find at that price , it's a bargain...!

Great choice ( I would say that though!)love it in meteor grey ...I had a GT3 in meteor ....beautiful ...

Option 3 with foot on the brake , shift to 'N'if going to be sat for an extended period ....

I haven't heard about warping discs and I 'use' mine regularly and it's a fair mass to slow down but it copes with ease

My front boots took a bit of a hammering though ,there seems to have been a bit of feathering of the outer treads , which I reckon must be my 'driving style'......I have just put winter wheels and tyres on as we have had a good fall of snow here last weekend , thawing now though ...what a difference these tyres make ...

As for the Start/ stop...I hate it with a passion ......its kin annoying and a horrible piece of kit...I wish I could remember to make that my first action after starting each time as it get s on my t1ts each time I pull up to a junction , have to stop momentarily and the engine cuts out ...even though it restarts on brake release , it has a momentary action that is counter intuitive for me ...rant over ( for now!) 😏😏

All in all a fantastic vehicle , can't fault it ,I am sure you will love it too...

All the best ,
Terry

The conventional answer has always been #3 for short stops.

Extended stops as per manual gearbox, ie #1 (but there is no reason you could not consider a really extended stop as actually parking, and thus #2!)

RCS said:
Shame Porsche didn't use a brake hold system like Mercedes that can hold the car on flat, slope or whatever, with no need to keep the brake pedal pressed, although that's using the foot braking system.

My 958 2012 model had brake hold, a green light would come on in the instrument pod to show when it was active :dont know:

#3 all the time for me as that's what it's designed for. As mentioned Stop/Start works in this mode albeit a prolonged stop is likley to bring on engine start given that there are a lot of pre-conditions/factors affecting when this function works.

Indeed. I that was the sort of question :dont know:

Hill hold holds on hills, but does not activate start stop, unless of course you have your foot on the brake in which event you don't need hill hold. I drive both the Cayenne and a Mercedes and I must admit that this aspect is much better on the Mercedes even though I prefer the Cayenne overall.

is the auto gearbox any better in the Merc :dont know:

It works fine in a Merc.

Less so in a sports car.

Hence all proper AMGs run DCT (dual clutch transmissions)

HOLD on Merc is a user applied function.

Come to halt and depress the brake pedal again and an electronic "hand brake" is applied ("HOLD" being shown in dash display)

You can remove foot from brake and then to release (ie junction free or traffic lights green etc), just press the throttle to accelerate away and the brake disengages.

Zingari said:
is the auto gearbox any better in the Merc :dont know:

Much of a muchness, the Cayenne is eight speeds, the Mercedes is seven. Changes both manually and automatically are broadly similar. I know from previous posts that your good self has slated the Cayenne auto, but I'm relatively new to driving an auto and don't really mind either. Having said that at a recent track day I tried the 991 Auto/Stronic/PDF/PDC or whatever it's called and that was remarkably good. So much so that I would consider trading the 993 for a 991 if the values ever cross.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back