Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997/987 Sound Package Plus amp problems - Common Fault!

The return of Marty Wild

I know a lot of regulars already know this, just figured I'd condense all I've learnt into a thread for any would be new owners.

Having recently picked up my Cayman, not knowing any better I didn't realise the ASK amp that forms the 'Sound Package Plus' upgrade wasn't working.

The sound was hollow to say the least, if you put your ear to the 8" woofers in the doors and you are getting no sound, the amp is dead. It is also possible that the system makes a hideous noise when you try and listen to it, this again is a common symptom but is obviously a lot more noticeable. The amp also rounds the centre speaker on the dash in the Cayman.

Anyways, after a few recommendations I decided to go with a chap called Tore in Norway. Sounds mental to send the amp overseas, but when I rang a company in the UK. They couldn't provide a quote without seeing it, saying that even if I didn't get the work done by them, they'd charge me £80 just to send the amp back.

Your friend Tore charges flat rate 80€ for the fix and 40€ for return shipping. At current exchange rates, that came to £112 plus the initial postage to him at £13 for International signed for.

The turnaround was 13 days, the majority of them being transit, in fact, he turned the amp around in hours of receiving it. He was a Gent from start to finish, can't recommend him enough! His website below:

http://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/services.html

Some other bits of info I gleaned from the man...

"I have seen Porsche specs on the Sound Package Plus of 3x70W, but I guess the real output power without significant distortion is about 30-40W.

Centre is mono yes, and a filtered product of the four other "normal" channels. (forward and rear left and right). This active filtering is done internally in the amp."

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back