Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 911 - When is the Best Time to Buy?

apollokre1d

Based on the U.S market but an interesting video about depreciation.

My American cousin. :eek:

That's an interesting video in that it concisely summarises the basics of depreciation in 5 minutes.

However, it is based on just the 911 Carrera and on OPC prices so is of limited use to anyone looking to buy any other model or to buy from other dealers/ privately etc.

The fact that his graph shows no overlap between 996/997 and 997/991 values confirms this.

+1

:floor:

... although, if I'm honest, I would have preferred the chart to have also been presented as cummulative percent from RRP and also yearly incremental

Very true, depreciation is on options especially when very few are factored in to trade values :what:

I'd say - without meaning to be glib - that the best time to buy is as soon as you can afford it. Whether you buy new or used is another question. Then it's a question of condition, colour and spec.

+1 MaxA totally agree for me buying a Porsche is all about all the factors coming together cost ,colour spec and price all at the same time ,are we buying a car or looking more for an investment ?

Agreed, it's the OPC's which control the market values. If they hold the prices high associated with the Porsche Brand then so do second hand car dealers and below them private sales.

I follow prices, possibly as 90% of us do, and we've seen the 997.2 increase back into the £40k's with mileage and spec etc. Plus all the hype of the pre 991's Turbo engines hike in resale value.

In reality 'the real world' all we've seen in 2015 and 2016 is the 991's dropping in price. Those that own anything pre 991 have seen possibly a slight increase in 2015 for 997.1 which levelled off in 2016.

In 2016 we saw the 997.2 rise back from mid £30k's into the £40's for a good low mileage and build spec.

2017 and 2018 is going to be interesting in terms of resale value trend. Eventually Newton's law comes into effect, 'What goes up must come down'.

Over the last few years all the talk, the press, the magazines, the internet etc has been blighted with increased talk about IMS, RMS, Bores Scoring, etc hasn't helped matters. Coupled with OPC's having more and more 991's for resale in their showrooms with fast depreciating prices as a % comparable, Ithink we'll start to see OPC's dropping the prices across the range of 911's. I can't see OPC's keeping the 997.2's prices high to hold up the 991'1 and 991'2 resale values.

The question we should all be asking is 'What will the next generation of 911 buyers want? A Porsche flat six sound and all that Porsche cars were or or or will they want a car dripping with technology, 4 stroke turbo, electric light steering etc'.

Time will tell what the next generation want and what OPC's are going to do with showroom prices

Vinyl, tape, CD or MP3.....?

The only best time for buyers is end of the months to hit sale targets.

Agreed, it's the OPC's which control the market values. If they hold the prices high associated with the Porsche Brand then so do second hand car dealers and below them private sales.

I follow prices, possibly as 90% of us do, and we've seen the 997.2 increase back into the £40k's with mileage and spec etc. Plus all the hype of the pre 991's Turbo engines hike in resale value.

In reality 'the real world' all we've seen in 2015 and 2016 is the 991's dropping in price. Those that own anything pre 991 have seen possibly a slight increase in 2015 for 997.1 which levelled off in 2016.

In 2016 we saw the 997.2 rise back from mid £30k's into the £40's for a good low mileage and build spec.

2017 and 2018 is going to be interesting in terms of resale value trend. Eventually Newton's law comes into effect, 'What goes up must come down'.

Over the last few years all the talk, the press, the magazines, the internet etc has been blighted with increased talk about IMS, RMS, Bores Scoring, etc hasn't helped matters. Coupled with OPC's having more and more 991's for resale in their showrooms with fast depreciating prices as a % comparable, Ithink we'll start to see OPC's dropping the prices across the range of 911's. I can't see OPC's keeping the 997.2's prices high to hold up the 991'1 and 991'2 resale values.

The question we should all be asking is 'What will the next generation of 911 buyers want? A Porsche flat six sound and all that Porsche cars were or or or will they want a car dripping with technology, 4 stroke turbo, electric light steering etc'.

Time will tell what the next generation want and what OPC's are going to do with showroom prices

Vinyl, tape, CD or MP3.....?

The only best time for buyers is end of the months to hit sale targets.

MNC911 said:
Agreed, it's the OPC's which control the market values.

I figure the OPCs can do this providing the demand is there. If WE as consumers don't see the value at that price point then there is no market. I think a lot of what is driving the market it is the perceived value in these types of cars.

Almost every day we hear of a manufacturer introducing a £xxx,xxxx supercar where there appears to be no shortage of money for the high end market. However, to buy into a similar experience is not big money by comparison and the performance margins are narrower than before.

We have cars that are up to 1.5s slower 0-60 but 70%-90% cheaper than most supercars and cheaper still compared to the iconic 911R yet are as usable and as much fun to drive as any of them. Oh and it has the best arse in the business and regardless of age you can't help but admire it. That's cracking value in my book ;)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back