Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Project outlaw 944

Great work Ian! I don't know how you can work outside this time of year! Well done. :thumb:

Front of yours looks quite dry in regards oil leaks think I would still change the oil pump seal while you have it in bits.my front dust shields are also disintegrated but don't think I`m going to bother replacing them I got the calipers powder coated but they have been murder to put back together with the coating being too thick.

I have also been a bit lazy updating my thread so will try and get some pick up this weekend

Great progress there Ian! Puts me to shame. Looking forward to seeing the coilovers fitted.

Keep up the good work :thumbs:

Chris

Gazc2 said:
I got the calipers powder coated but they have been murder to put back together with the coating being too thick.

As they are sliding calipers you need to shave off some of the coating where they move with each other or the caliper won't work well and may bind, I took mine back to bare metal where the slide and didn't have an issue assembling. They weren't designed to have paint on them so the additional thickness isn't good.

I'm having a little cry now :sad: Wish I'd kept my shed and spent the time and money on it. Boo Hoo Hoo Hooo. They do look so cool and they are a hoot to drive

^ looks grand on the cookie cutters!

Gaz, remind me about the piston angle again?

I'll check on the water pump make, it was £150 from ECP, got it for £100 using the Xmas discount code, don't know how good it'll be but it has the metal impella.

Ian,

if you open the link there is a good explanation of how the piston has to sit at a certain angle relative to the cut out on the top of the piston

Attachments

• caliperpercent20step11a_189.jpg
    caliperpercent20step11a_189.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 11,941
Got everything back together and filled up with coolant. To be honest I wasn't expecting the very bad vibration at idle to be eradicated fully as I've had a couple in the past with the same simptoms.
Well I'm very happy to report she idles like a rock now with vertually no vibration. I think the problem lies with the balance belt sprockets. To simplify things if the bottom sprocket is fitted the same as the top sprocket it will be 180 degrees out of balance. The top sprocket is fitted with the 'o' mark to the top and the bottom sprocket with the '0' fitted to the bottom.

Back together

The wipers have always been painfully slow so I removed the wiper motor. This was very easy to remove, took me about 5 mins.

I stripped the motor and gave it a good clean and lubricated the moving parts. They work perfectly now so bring it on rain!

I noticed a bit of oil in the air filter box so after a bit of research it seem the seals have gone on the AOS, air oil separator. Luckily this is a cheap easy fix but it's located under the inlet manifold so I'm going to have to remove it for access. I think I'll let the weather warm up a bit befor I sort this

:thumbs:

Gaz, I moved the car yesterday when she was really cold and I've still got a bit of vibration but only for around a minuite or less then she quickly calms down and idles really well. Might be old age plus I haven't got the boot carpet fitted so that might be a factor, anyway I might just have to live with it. I'll keep you informed.

Still a million times better than it was though.

Good stuff Ian I cant keep up with you at the minute jumping from car to car !I have also got a new pair of engine mounts to put on although like yours didn't think the old ones looked to bad,at the end of the day its a 30 year old motor you could chuck a heap of money at it to resolve every little niggle think I`m up to about a grand on bits and pieces which does include new seats and front suspension to be fair its sounds as though you have got it running sweet enough.

Ok quick update to keep everything up to date!

Every time I start this car the heater blower squeaks like a mouse, it's very annoying!
So I removed the plastic cover and removed this -

From hear -

A bit of oil and a clean and it's nice and quiet now.

Next I removed and refurbed the rear brakes, cleaned with a wire brush in the drill and given a coat of cure rust then a good few coats of black gloss hammeright. Put back together with new seals and dust covers, good as new.

Looking sad.

Cleaned up and ready to go back together.

Replaced the rear anti roll rubbers and brackets.

Snapped on though!

Tried to weld a nut onto the snapped stud but failed so I ended up drilling the bolt out and used a new nut and bolt instead. Messed around with the welder for about an hour and ended up drilling it out in about 5 mins! It's always the easy things that waste all your time :frustrated:

Made up a little petrol bath to clean all the oil out of the air oil separator and pipes. Replaced seals and put it all back together.

Gave the throttle body a good clean aswel.

After doing the belts a had a noise like one of the belts rubbing on the cover when I pressed the accelerator. I ended up removing the cover and tightening up the ballance belt slightly. That seems to have sorted the noise and the engine vibrations at idle touch wood!

Been waiting for my GAZ coil overs for 6 weeks now, hopefully they'll be on there way soon :?

:bye:

I like a clean throttle body Ian :eek: .... keep up the good work , I'm going to jet wash my engine at the weekend :thumb:

Looking good Ian, but couldn't you treat yourself to some new bleed nipples :puh:

Keith,
DO NOT jetwash your engine! PLEASE......they don't like getting real wet.

Chief said:
Looking good Ian, but couldn't you treat yourself to some new bleed nipples :puh:

Keith,
DO NOT jetwash your engine! PLEASE......they don't like getting real wet.

Any recommendations then Chief ? , I did my red car covering the distributor and air intake blasting low down with the nozzle and it was ok , the thing that worries me is some electrical cables (The sleeves) are open ended and water in them isn't good either !... ive been on a long drive up to Aberdeen and the engine is noticeable salty, the rest of the car has had a major clean just want to sort the engine bay , steam ??? :thumb: sorry for the hijack Ian

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back