Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cteck battery charger problem

Carbon Guy

Hi all

i hope everyone had a nice Christmas!

i have recently bought a CTEK MXS 5.0 for my 981 but i seem to having a problem with it getting to charge all the way. I am connecting to the car via the 12V cigarette lighter in the passenger foot-well, once connected the CTEK works fine and analyses the battery and starts charging, however after about 30 minutes or so the CTEK changes to a standby mode as if it was not connected to the car.

From reading other related post i know that the problem is most likely coming from the car going into a power saving mode and cutting the power to the 12V outlet what in turn stops the CTEK from working.

Has anyone else had this problem or know how to keep the 12V outlets in the car to say on?

i have also spoken to Porsche as they sell the same product hoping to find a solution, ( http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod4306/Charger---Battery-Maintainer-Original-Porsche/ ) unfortunately they were unsure why it wasn't charging as they say it should just work one plunged in.

Attachments

• img_6975_211.jpg
    img_6975_211.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 8,542
Chris_in_the_UK said:
I use the outlet in the centre console and have never had a problem?

:yeah:

The answer is to connect the charger and turn it on before closing and locking the doors. Do not turn charger on after doors are locked or the car will fail to sence the connection and go into sleep mode after thirty minutes .

i have tried all 3 outlets on the car always connecting the charger as Curious2 mentions in the post above. Firstly making sure the CTEK is on with the mode selected before connecting, once connected and the first 3 indicators are lit on the charger closing the doors and locking the car only to return in about 30 minuets or so to find the CTEK in standby mode.

well i managed to find the problem after speaking to Porsche and one of there techs. it seem that these chargers don't work for the newer range of Cayman's via the cigarette lighters due to the cars power saving mode 30 min after locking.

luckily i can change the connector to the crocodile clips to directly connect to the battery.

Carbon Guy said:
well i managed to find the problem after speaking to Porsche and one of there techs. it seem that these chargers don't work for the newer range of Cayman's via the cigarette lighters due to the cars power saving mode 30 min after locking.

luckily i can change the connector to the crocodile clips to directly connect to the battery.

Ditch the croc clips and go for a quick release connector, much better connection :)

Chris

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back