Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 Homelink Problems

AJLC

Yesterday I took delivery of my new 991.2 C4S with lots of toys, including Homelink.

After many frustrating hours, I managed to get the car to recognise my garage door controller (3 flashes on the indicators) but have had no luck in connecting the car to my Hormann Promatic 3 garage door motor.

I have been through both the User Manual and Hormann instruction book, but still the receiver refuses to recognise the car.

I have reset both the car and reciever and everything works perfectly with my original controller.

My dealer can't seem to help and looking at various forums, it seems I am not alone.

Any help would be most appreciated.....

You need to e mail Homelink and if necessary speak to one of the helpful C/Service people. They will ask you to interrogate the system in your car to determine the software code then they'll probably tell you what they told me which is it's not compatible! I was well cheesed off, was looking forward to opening the doors using homelink but it was not to be.
You can buy an add on unit that will make your door compatible, I think it's about 60 euro. If you need any numbers for Homelink I have them somewhere but a quick search on google will bring them up.

Sorry to hear of your issue.

I have been toying with spec'ing this on my T4S. The OPC salesperson advised me against going for the Home Link as his experience was fraught with issues of compatibility.

I too have a Hormann garage door and in the back of my mind I have been thinking, as Hormann is one of the top German garage door manufactures, surely Porsche would have at least got this one sorted.

I will be very interested to see if you can get it working....still time to amend my config.....

My 991.1 has Homelink (factory order) and I also have Hormann garage doors and openers and mine work, but my openers are Supramatics and are about 5 years old. So the following may or may not be relevant depending on whether they use a different protocol to the Promatics...

Getting them to register was a right old faff, but I finally managed to work out the required sequence and got it all to hang together in the end. I think it was trial and error though. My recollection is that the secret was getting the openers in the right state to receive the code from the car and doing it all in the required time frame. I may have some notes written on the Horman manual, I'll check later.

Took hours though. I seem to recall spending hours crouched in front of the car trying to get it to respond. FWIW I had homelink on my e92 M3 as well and that was just as difficult to set up. Worth it in the end though!

Mine are Hormann Promatic 3 and they aren't compatible with my 2006 turbo's homelink. I've looked for the paperwork on the set up but I appear to have discarded it, I was pretty disappointed at it not working!
Search Homelink on the net and there's loads of info and contact numbers including how to get your software code which you'll need if you contact them. They are very helpful if you call.
Good luck

weejimmy said:
Getting them to register was a right old faff, but I finally managed to work out the required sequence and got it all to hang together in the end. I think it was trial and error though. My recollection is that the secret was getting the openers in the right state to receive the code from the car and doing it all in the required time frame. I may have some notes written on the Horman manual, I'll check later.

Took hours though. I seem to recall spending hours crouched in front of the car trying to get it to respond. Worth it in the end though!

This is the same experience that I had with my 991.1 and Came gate openers (which are about 7 years old) but as Weejimmy says, worth it in the end. Especially when you've spent >£200 on the option!

Good luck

Persistence is futile!! Sorry couldn't resist that one.

I persisted for ages and it was a waste of time because in the end I contacted Homelink and they confirmed my worst fear, mine's not compatible.
Call them, it's easy and will save you hours of messing about trying to 'make' it work.
http://www.homelink.com/contact

Many thanks guys, most appreciated for all the responses.

Dealer phoned me today and he has put a call into Porsche Technical support so will see what they say next week.

I will also call Homelink support to see if they can help.

From researching online, Hormann can supply an additional single channel receiver which claims to be Homelink compatible, but I am loathed to spend more time and resource without some assurance that this will resolve my problem.

Will update further once I have more info.

Al

Al mate you came on looking for advice, phone/email Homelink they manufacture the item and can tell you if it's compatible, Porsche only fit it. :frustrated:

I designed my own system (part of my business) to work with Hormann as well as my gates, it uses my phone's GPS to detect my location so once I activate it - it opens the gates and garage when I am 50 meters from my house (distance configurable).

Is compatible with all makes by the way. I did not like to leave remotes or any controls in my car itself due to security reasons, so being part of your phone it means that you can control the doors / gates from anywhere without ever needing a remote again.

Happy to answer any questions about it.

Did you get this working? I hooked up my 991.2 GTS to my Hormann doors today and it worked fine, so it looks like homelink is the same on the 991.1 and 991.2.

The sequence I went through was to follow the porsche guide for openers with rolling code sequences, so I did the bit where you squat in front of the car and hold the button on an existing opener and the car does three flashes of the hazards. I then put the openers in their mode for receiving a signal from a new remote (the same process you follow if you get a standard new fob) and once it was in the right mode I pushed the programmed button in the car and hey presto. All good.

I have two single garage doors so I set button I for the left hand door and III for the right hand door.

For me the hard part was getting my openers into the state to pair with a new remote. The `Hormann manual called it " Teaching in a radio code on the integral radio receiver".

Hope this helps as it feels like it blind luck, but once you get the sequence it's simple enough.

In summary, set the car button from an existing remote, then pair it to your opener.

AJLC said:
From researching online, Hormann can supply an additional single channel receiver which claims to be Homelink compatible, but I am loathed to spend more time and resource without some assurance that this will resolve my problem.

Will update further once I have more info.

Al

This solution WILL work.

I had similar issues in my previous house and the problem was an incompatible receiver on the newer openers with the much older Homelink system. It's not really Porsche or Hormann at fault, it's homeland not keeping up to date. I refuse to spec it these days - I've since moved and in my new house I've retained the newer received and instead opt for Hormann's cigarette lighter insert - it just sits in the power socket and looks no worse than the actual fag lighter. Works perfectly.

However, if you find an approved Hormann installer they absolutely can change your receiver and it will work. Believe men though, it will still take many many attempts to get it to work (I thought I'd wasted my time after 'downgrading' the receiver) but persistence does pay off.

Palmball said:
opt for Hormann's cigarette lighter insert - it just sits in the power socket and looks no worse than the actual fag lighter. Works perfectly.

Interesting. I specced the smokers pack as I have the same remote and planned to use it if homelink refused to work. But on mine the lid wont shut with the remote in place. Maybe the newer version of the remote is slimmer?

weejimmy said:
Palmball said:
opt for Hormann's cigarette lighter insert - it just sits in the power socket and looks no worse than the actual fag lighter. Works perfectly.

Interesting. I specced the smokers pack as I have the same remote and planned to use it if homelink refused to work. But on mine the lid wont shut with the remote in place. Maybe the newer version of the remote is slimmer?

I spec'd the smokers pack for the same reason and has exactly the same problem.

To get round this I dremmeled the inside of the lid - there's a moulding lip that catches the garage door opener which needs grinding back. I also had to dremmel a more rounded edge on the garage door opener lighter insert itself....the combination of which means it just about squeezes in under the lid. Not a particularly elegant solution but you'd never know with the lid shut, and indeed even with it open it's all but invisible (you can see the rounded garage door opener but if you been careful with the dremmel, grinding the inside of the lid remains invisible.

I'll post some pics later so you can see.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back