Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does anyone still track their GT3?

LaSource said:
Silverstone Tuesday
DN16 next week!

You have been very quiet - Joel said that the M3 looked awesome at the Ring and apparently was going some... We need videos man! Don't keep us guessing :lol:

still (sort of) tracking mine;
early this year got in some track time, but a combination of a wedding to pay for and a new engine needed, track progress has been slowed !
Going to squeeze a few more in before it snows this year !

One of the reasons I decided to sell the 997.2GT3 was a trackday where I broke the screen, which turned the cost of a basic Donington trackday up to over £2k with tyres, fuel and entry.
I bought an E30M3 V8 unfinished track car project in a quest to reduce the cost of regular trackdays.
After nearly two years, that cars still no-where near done, and I've been tracking my E90 M3 on standard brakes which suck! So I've given into the 991GT3 urge, and I'll be back out in that soon. Possibly next week 8) .
I am interested to hear how people get on with noise in these as it seems to be a fair bit louder than the 997.2.

Just picking up this thread, which seems to have moved onto noise limits....

My GT4 is useless on UK tracks as it's too damn noisy! Black flagged at Goodwood and Brands. So, it's been out to Spa a few times instead!!

My 997.2 GT3 is fine noise-wise though.... drove it last week and my first impression was how quiet it is versus the GT4....

Cheburator said:
LaSource said:
Silverstone Tuesday
DN16 next week!

You have been very quiet - Joel said that the M3 looked awesome at the Ring and apparently was going some... We need videos man! Don't keep us guessing :lol:

Hey - sorry just spotted this post. Can't recall if I've already posted a vid in another trackday thread, however given its xmas and the TV is full of repeats, then here could be another repeat :)

The M3 went really well. I reckon I would have got a sub 8 lap had we not encountered a yellow from mini karussell onwards. Really impressed with the balance and front end grip. The E46 flows at the ring.

LaSource said:
Cheburator said:
LaSource said:
Silverstone Tuesday
DN16 next week!

Hey - sorry just spotted this post. Can't recall if I've already posted a vid in another trackday thread, however given its xmas and the TV is full of repeats, then here could be another repeat :)

The M3 went really well. I reckon I would have got a sub 8 lap had we not encountered a yellow from mini karussell onwards. Really impressed with the balance and front end grip. The E46 flows at the ring.

That E46 flows well round the Ring, nice and smooth. Are you still playing with
the GT4 ? :?:

nick w said:
LaSource said:
Cheburator said:
LaSource said:
Silverstone Tuesday
DN16 next week!

Thanks - GT4 is actually now gone...(!)
...in came a KTM X-Bow
...and we'll see if something happens next year.

LaSource said:
nick w said:
LaSource said:
Cheburator said:
LaSource said:
Silverstone Tuesday
DN16 next week!

Thanks - GT4 is actually now gone...(!)
...in came a KTM X-Bow
...and we'll see if something happens next year.

I thought that you'd probably moved it on...I bought one yesterday !

You bought a GT4 yesterday?
Excellent move :)

I think they are great cars for road and track....and certainly for guys with RS with now high values, you need a sub £100k track Porsche.

For me I thought I'd try something a little more focused and didn't need a broad usage car.

...and in response to the original thread question, yes GT cars are still being used.

Here was my summary of all of my track outings in 2016 - cut and spliced to cover one lap of Silverstone, Spa, and a truncated Nurburgring....and some muzak :)

LaSource said:

I think they are great cars for road and track....and certainly for guys with RS with now high values, you need a sub £100k track Porsche.

For me I thought I'd try something a little more focused and didn't need a broad usage car.

Well I bought it as my new daily drive, with the view to taking it on European
track days and road trips. It's a clubbie, so it's wired for sound...collection will
be in a couple of weeks !. I'm looking forward to getting it...the other two
have rather become investment tools I'm afraid...

Ps..I drove a 981 Spyder yesterday, and so very nearly pushed the button on
that instead of the GT4.

nick w said:
LaSource said:

Well I bought it as my new daily drive, with the view to taking it on European
track days and road trips. It's a clubbie, so it's wired for sound...collection will
be in a couple of weeks !. I'm looking forward to getting it...the other two
have rather become investment tools I'm afraid...

Ps..I drove a 981 Spyder yesterday, and so very nearly pushed the button on
that instead of the GT4.

Nick, you also have a GT4 now too? That's just greedy! :grin:

Congrats - where's the pics? 8)

Hoping to be back out and about on track later this year :thumbs:

GT4 is awesome..! I've been very happy with mine. Only problem on UK tracks is noise - it is noisy! Got flagged at Goodwood and Brands last year - Spa no problem though.

The other problem with the GT4, is it is taking all my attention from the GT3 - I'm about to sell my 997.2 GT3 Clubbie - It hasn't turned a wheel in a year, and I can't handle it sitting there doing nothing. I might be wrong, it may go up in value, but who knows..!? Other options are out there to drive - 991 RS's are dropping back, sub £200k now. May give one of these a go instead.... :?:

Yup, I've put a deposit down and bought it as my 'weekend drive'. Collection
will be next week, and I'm so looking forward to picking it up.
The other two are now investment vehicles...so I did need something to have
fun in ! :grin:

So another one bites the dust! Who's left then - Cunno, NXI, Colin, Lasource... I think a couple of others on the forum. Everyone else has migrated to GT4's or M3's...

Pics when you get the car please Nick!

Richyd - how come your GT4's so noisy, is exhaust OEM or something fruity? Sounds like you're bored of the GT3!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back