Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What to do I'm moving house and mileage will be going up

If you don't want to run the Porsche, buy a shed. There's a weekly article on Pistonheads. Alternatively, can you not use your business mileage claims to cover the costs (which are presumably supposed to cover depreciation)?

Either keep both and beg and borrow the £20 k from friends and family or sell it and but something like the GR Cayman at RPM for mid 30's, keep the rangie you already own and put the extra cash towards the mortgage.

A 20K mile cayman or boxster will be valued on condition in another 100k miles anyway and a 2.7 is 90% of the same car .

Blimey you are in near enough my situation with just a few tweeks

1) We moved then all the money i don't have went on remodelling it
2) My 997 is a garage queen as i have a 330 xdrive to do 25k plus miles in
3) My wife does have an a3 cabrio though none of us love it
4) My daughter is 1 week off passing her driving test and already has a mini parked on the drive (provided by very generous grand parents)

So my situation is i really should drop a car. All the comfy money in the bank is a distant memory (well other than i can see it in every room of the house), i'm about to get a £2k hike in our family Insurance costs and honestly the 997 struggles to get used more than 3k per annum.

My original thought was to be Porscheless but as many have said life is short. My next dilemma is like you i do easy 25k business miles per annum (plus some clients my be a little sniffy at a Porsche). I also live at the bottom of a very steep hill that will never be gritted in my lifetime (only 8 houses in road).

So my original solution was just get a cheap boxster for weekend fun and keep the 330 and a3. However if i'm honest the boxster would never come out and it would become an ornament that just required work.

Then yesterday i drove a 718S whilst OPC sorted the tracking on my 997 and a little light bulb came on. Add to this my mother is looking to change her ML

It's not cost neutral but it may be the best of all worlds and could be the same for yourself. If i chop the bm in for the Macan my mum might be interested in and then sell the A3 and 997 i could get either a 981 boxster or cayman and have my mums ML for Mrs S to drive (or me in bad weather / uninformed clients). Yes the Porsche will lose some cash but honestly unless you get down to very cheap car, even with man math, it won't save you a penny. I have factored into the equation a set of winter wheels just to be sensible.

The way i see it is that even though you'll gain the cash to cover extra deposit the hit you'll take will wipe out any potential savings in a heartbeat. You may even be able to fund the shortfall with other loans which will cost less in the long run. That said if it will cause real financial hardship i'd sell the porsche (if you have a reliable rangie that will serve you for years and must have had all the gremlins sorted). I'd then get a hack and start banking any pennies you can in a porsche savings pot (preferably against the mortgage to save a few extra pennies) then when the dust settles see what can be had and by when.

Sorry for the length but thought it may help

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back