Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 911 Turbo Cab 991.1 v 911 Carrera S Cab 991.2

bg259

Hi All. I have been pondering another 911 for the last couple of months and I am undecided against a gen1 991 turbo or a 991.2 Carerra. I am veering towards a cab but have to admit the coupe drives much better and you feel the weight saving !

I have driven lots of 991.1 turbos and they are an awesome tool. You lose the soundtrack but the power delivery makes up for it. The 991 turbo is a visually stunning vehicle from the rear. It's larges haunches just look the business when you drive behind one and the deployment of the front and rear spoilers in sports plus mode puts a big smile on my face.

On the flip side. I have driven a 991.2 and the technical updates are brilliant. Apple car play is very useful and the minor changes. SC on steering wheel, better door handles, more supple suspension all make the 991.2 to a pleasing prospect. The carerra is just dull in comparison. As an every day tool, it is brilliant. The new 3.0TT engine is supple, light, agile and solves the issue of a lack of low down torque the 991.1 Carreras suffer from. My general impression the two times I have driven the 991.2 is a sense of under whelment.

I use my 911 very infrequently. It is a weekend tool to put a smile on my face and I drive very spiritedly when I do take my cars out. My only worry wth the turbo is that it will attract too much of the wrong attention from boy racers and the police alike. The 991.1 turbo is a licence loser, not to mention a death trap in the wrong hands.

I suspect that at the 110k level. A 991.1 turbo will have a shallower depreciation curve. There are less turbos out there (especially cabs) and the market will always be flooded with the latest 911 offering, meaning the 991.2 will have a steeper depreciation curve. On the plus side it is a newer car with a longer warranty and will have less miles on it.

Am I answering my own questions here ????

I am veering towards the 991.1 turbo. A turbo S would be lovely, especially with PCCB, PDDC, 18 way seats and carbon interior as standard. Just dont think the extra 15/20k is worth it.

Would love to know what you guys think.

bg259 said:
Am I answering my own questions here ????

It looks that way to me.

It seems to me that all 911 Turbos from the year dot have either increased in value or held their residuals very well indeed. Moreover, you are answering all of your own questions and I think you have talked yourself into the 991.1 Turbo over the 991.2 Carrera - the latter of which will depreciate quicker. Both cars are license losers now (the difference in top speeds is only 10mph and the 0-60mph acceleration times is only 1 sec apart). The Turbo, as you say, carries the more visual drama and doesn't look like every other 911 out there. For the sake of a few updates like Apple Play for instance, I think it's worth going for the older car.

This is just imo of course!

~ Maxie :thumbs:

If it was a daily I would vote for a well optioned new 991.2 C2S or C4S for a little more bling...that rear light strip is a rather lovely thing.

For an occasional driver the Turbo would be the perfect visual and driving sense of occasion. It's mental fast and often well optioned. I often consider the purchase of a Turbo and like you can't get my head around the extra ££ for an S and would merely look for a Turbo optioned with the S center lock wheels.

Yes. You guys seem to think the same way I am leaning towards. I just now have to decide between a cab or coupe ? The coupe feels faster and I love the panoramic roof ( would not buy one without it ! ). The convertible though is that much rarer and looks achingly gorgeous from certain angles with the roof down. The other plus point is, you get all the aural drama from the turbos and the pops/crackles with the roof off. A bit poserish, but hey f your buying a 911 turbo, your no hermit are you !!

What colour combo would you guys go for ?

Black/Black
White/Black
Grey/Black

I think the black purple colour with a mahogany/espresso natural leather interior is gorgeous. With Luxor sports chrono dial and Luxor gushes. You will struggle to resell it though !! (I saw one in Miami and it looks amazing!).

Also what options would you go for as a Must?

For me it must have Sports Chrono. A turbo without SC, is like a Lion without teeth !
Folding mirrors also a must for me.
Sports Design steering wheel with paddles

Deathtrap is never a word I would use to describe any Porsche. It implies unsafe. Driving any car at 100mph into a wall or stationary car will have the same result.

Also I don't think any 911 will have any different of an effect on the rozzers as they all look the same to people outside of the Porsche fan club. Unless the car has a big wing on the back (GT cars). My Carrera Cab got way more attention than my turbo did in standard form.

Buy the car that makes you the most happy, that's my motto.

bg259 said:
Yes. You guys seem to think the same way I am leaning towards. I just now have to decide between a cab or coupe ? The coupe feels faster and I love the panoramic roof ( would not buy one without it ! ). The convertible though is that much rarer and looks achingly gorgeous from certain angles with the roof down. The other plus point is, you get all the aural drama from the turbos and the pops/crackles with the roof off. A bit poserish, but hey f your buying a 911 turbo, your no hermit are you !!

What colour combo would you guys go for ?

Black/Black
White/Black
Grey/Black

I think the black purple colour with a mahogany/espresso natural leather interior is gorgeous. With Luxor sports chrono dial and Luxor gushes. You will struggle to resell it though !! (I saw one in Miami and it looks amazing!).

Also what options would you go for as a Must?

For me it must have Sports Chrono. A turbo without SC, is like a Lion without teeth !
Folding mirrors also a must for me.
Sports Design steering wheel with paddles

So many options! Coupe would be my choice with center lock wheels, anything else is just a bonus. With these types of cars I think you just know which is the right one for you regardless of the spec sheet ;)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back