Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to make a 991.2 turbo sound better without voiding warra

k3bab

I would love to find a way to improve the engine noise of my new 991.2 turbo. The car is superb but just does not sound as good as it should. Much preferred the sound of 997.1 C2S with PSE.

Could someone please recap the possible options (even less conventional ones) and sum up the impact on warranty? I assume any sort of change will void warranty?

Does yours have porsche sports exhaust already?

It is a 911 turbo so no. I was under the impression that turbos do not have a PSE option?

I think I'm confused and not being helpful at all, sorry. Is yours a proper "Turbo" then and not a 991.2 Carrera which happens to have a turbocharger in the engine?

Yes sorry I confused matters myself. It is a proper turbo.

Out of my league then, must be awesome :worship:

It also means I have no idea :coat:

I am slightly shocked that Porsche don't offer a sport exhaust option for the turbo. I am sure it is a box that would more often than not be ticked if they did. Maybe speak to Porsche re warranties etc but I suspect there are no options available sadly.

I would be interested to hear how you get on with your quest. I am not in a position to purchase a 991 Turbo yet but the exhaust note, or the lack of, is the second biggest obstacle I have in buying one..the money is my first obstacle.

Having seen and heard some of these rocket ships on the track I think they sound OK but on UK roads I can imagine there isn't much opportunity to floor it past 2nd gear.

You might find some info here where they are discussing the same topic:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1518001

Re: How to make a 991.2 turbo sound better without voiding w

k3bab said:
I would love to find a way to improve the engine noise of my new 991.2 turbo. The car is superb but just does not sound as good as it should. Much preferred the sound of 997.1 C2S with PSE.

Could someone please recap the possible options (even less conventional ones) and sum up the impact on warranty? I assume any sort of change will void warranty?

I had the exact same thoughts when I bought my 997.2 turbo last year.
I slapped a full Kline system on with magnificent results. No noise low down when pootling about or motorway cruising but bury the accelerator and a glorious howl lets rip. Added an IPD plenum and 9e tune too. It's fabulous.

Warranty void? Probably. Had the engine compression tested prior to the work. All good so I'm pretty relaxed about reliability.

If you car is still covered by a factory warranty you may be able to mod and keep the warranty. Ask your OPC. But the second hand OPC warranty like I've got is ridiculously restrictive.

+1 for the Kline innovations exhaust...

I had an Inconel system fitted on my Turbo S recently , bought direct from Felix at Kline, great guy to deal with ....

So , I had the usual reservations about fitting an aftermarket exhaust, even after having mine delivered , I had it on my garage bench for a few weeks deliberating whether it would be a good idea or not.
It looked so good sitting there it was a great conversation piece and was almost an artwork ..!!

....but I trolled the internet & You tube ( E sysman's GT2 RS conversion was played over and over again, to listen to the kline on his !!, I recommend watching that just to appreciate his commitment to his vision) listening to as many Kline systems as possible, the Porsche sound with Kline is still the best imho.....

So , on it was fitted and .........I can thoroughly recommend this exhaust as it transforms the usually muted sound from the Turbo stock exhaust ( although it could be made to howl a wee bit in ' Sport mode' at high revs)

There is no perceptible difference at low speeds, a sound that is comparable to an angry dinosaur when on boost and on the over run , it pops and bangs like a good un......
on my way home after the exhaust was installed , I had the initial feeling that it was delivering a flatter torque ' curve' as it felt like the power delivery was more linear than previously experienced ... I still think that is the case , but only a dyno would truly tell but I will not subject my car to that ...

I love this exhaust, and it must be one of the best mods that can possibly be done to a 997 turbo to improve the sound.

Terry

911TEL said:

I had an Inconel system fitted on my Turbo S recently , bought direct from Felix at Kline, great guy to deal with ....

So , I had the usual reservations about fitting an aftermarket exhaust, even after having mine delivered , I had it on my garage bench for a few weeks deliberating whether it would be a good idea or not.
It looked so good sitting there it was a great conversation piece and was almost an artwork ..!!

....but I trolled the internet & You tube ( E sysman's GT2 RS conversion was played over and over again, to listen to the kline on his !!, I recommend watching that just to appreciate his commitment to his vision) listening to as many Kline systems as possible, the Porsche sound with Kline is still the best imho.....

So , on it was fitted and .........I can thoroughly recommend this exhaust as it transforms the usually muted sound from the Turbo stock exhaust ( although it could be made to howl a wee bit in ' Sport mode' at high revs)

There is no perceptible difference at low speeds, a sound that is comparable to an angry dinosaur when on boost and on the over run , it pops and bangs like a good un......
on my way home after the exhaust was installed , I had the initial feeling that it was delivering a flatter torque ' curve' as it felt like the power delivery was more linear than previously experienced ... I still think that is the case , but only a dyno would truly tell but I will not subject my car to that ...

I love this exhaust, and it must be one of the best mods that can possibly be done to a 997 turbo to improve the sound.

Terry

Nice. Your car looks ace. Love the wheels. I plan to go PCCB and gloss black centre hub wheels at some point.

Did you complement your exhaust system with a custom map? And if so what cat option did you take?

Just change your exhaust, your warranty will be fine, i've had a fair bit of work done on mine under warranty and i have a little more than an exhaust changed. Basically i've been told the warranty will remain in place unless the failed part is due to the modifications you have carried out, i.e. if your gearbox goes and you've lowered the suspension you'll be covered, if your shocks go you won't, which is fair imo...

Norfolk & Idea said:
911TEL said:

Terry

Nice. Your car looks ace. Love the wheels. I plan to go PCCB and gloss black centre hub wheels at some point.

Did you complement your exhaust system with a custom map? And if so what cat option did you take?

Norfolk,

thanks.. I like the car on the BBS wheels but they are back off again as I found a small rip in the tread of one of the rears , so back onto the turbo II's...

I haven't remapped it at all and do not plan to , I can see how the tuning/ modding bug gets hold though....... its a really slippery slope Terry

Its way quick enough for what I want to do with the car , and I will leave the engine stock.

If I can avioid watching Isysmans GT2 RS mod on youtube , I will leave it as it is for now ...

How do you find yours after your mods ?

Terry

Hey guys!

Thx for the recommendations :thumb:

Indeed the 991TT.1 and .2 dont have a sport factory option. The sound does change when you are in sport but that's related to the engine management.

You can checkout our exhaust sytem http://www.kline-innovation.com/exhaust-collection/porsche/991-2/991-turbo/

We hundreds of happy customers with 991TT. And most of the 1/4 mile record breaking 991TT's in the worlds carry our system. It's fast, nimble, totally transforms the car and it sounds amazing! Plus you dont need a remap since there are no error codes.

We offer the setup in stainless steel and Formula 1 grade Inconel 625!

Here is a recent 991TT.2 which ran 10.295 SEC on 1/4 mile - STOCK car running just our exhaust with our equal length headers.

https://youtu.be/zvLXldepnLA

Feel free to PM or email me anytime.
[email protected]

:thumbs:

Attachments

• 991tt_manifolds_146.jpg
    991tt_manifolds_146.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 9,306
As I understand it, you ought to be fine with the mandatory manufacturers warranty (i.e. the first 2 years) due to European legislation, but after that it becomes an extended warranty at which point they could potentially reject a claim if the part installed was considered to be contributory to the fault that you were claiming for (i.e. anything engine related that isn't a separate ancillary) but they probably won't. The main effect is that once you have aftermarket parts on there they will not allow you to extend the warranty at the end of its term (assuming that you keep the car that long). So if you swap it and it is not to be a long term car for you : keep the old one so that it can be refitted if you sell or may want to trade it in to an OPC in the future.

Happy to be corrected, but I am fairly confident that is where you would stand. So in short - you are probably okay to put shoutier pipes on. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back