Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Subaru Impreza RB320

effy

I was travelling home from a friends house on Saturday evening, in my Carrera 2S, the roads were really clear and lovely and dry, and upon approaching a long stretch of carriageway, I noticed a Subaru Impreza RB320 in my rear view mirror, approach me quickly, so just as we got onto the dual carriageway, I was already in sports chrono+ and planted my foot into the carpet, but to my surprise I could not pull away from him, in fact he played with me, going to overtake then holding back!!! Even when I hit ***mph he was still playing with me. I can only think he's spent a serious amount of money under his bonnet, or I am seriously down on power, I hope it's the first as mine doesn't feel as if it is, what are your thoughts guys?
As we came to the end I slowed down and he came past me, that's how I know it was badged up RB320 (Orange badges)

They actually don't need much playing with tbh. A remap and extra boost probably.

I got done by a focus RS with a chick driving it and her boyfriend clearly telling her to floor it in my 996. Sat on my arese way past the speed limit and wasn't losing pace at all! It was F-ing fast.

I was gobsmacked, but apparently 400bhp isn't uncommon in them either. :dont know:

effy said:
I was travelling home from a friends house on Saturday evening, in my Carrera 2S, the roads were really clear and lovely and dry, and upon approaching a long stretch of carriageway, I noticed a Subaru Impreza RB320 in my rear view mirror, approach me quickly, so just as we got onto the dual carriageway, I was already in sports chrono+ and planted my foot into the carpet, but to my surprise I could not pull away from him, in fact he played with me, going to overtake then holding back!!! Even when I hit ***mph he was still playing with me. I can only think he's spent a serious amount of money under his bonnet, or I am seriously down on power, I hope it's the first as mine doesn't feel as if it is, what are your thoughts guys?
As we came to the end I slowed down and he came past me, that's how I know it was badged up RB320 (Orange badges)

Why are you suprises?
Carrera 2S are not particularly quick.
My M3 daily is probably quicker and have a number of cars playing with the M3 which are equally as quick if not quicker.

You need to drive a 997 turbo or Nissan GTR is you want something quick

effy said:

I just love it when I'm goaded. And it happens a lot if you drive a 911. I never a pick a fight but I don't mind a tussle when provoked. And yes, you're down on poke.
Luckily I'm armed with circa 615 bhp. I had a Focus RS goad me recently and yes they're quick but soon dispatched with a 9E turbo... Tra...

Agreed there are plenty of fast road cars out there. The problem is most aren't used to someone also putting their foot down and are only used to cars "disappearing" in the rear view mirror because they are not trying, especially in a straight line. The scooby would hold its own on the twisties though / have a greater advantage. I have fond memories of my scoobies being the best A to B cars I ever owned and I've owned a lot of "faster" cars on paper. Magazine 0-60 times can be so misleading in the real world where actual gearing, traction, etc.... are big factors.

You don't want to cross me in my work van then :lol:

Do also remember that all of these boosted hatchbacks are geared shorter than Verne Troyer. They are great for the traffic light grand prix but they run out of breath once into 3 figures and cap out about 40mph slower than the top speed of even a C2. They go fast from a standing start and on twisty roads over short distances, but for long range continent crushing runs they are very much the wrong toy compared to a 911.

It isn't really worth letting yourself be baited by them though - why fight meaningless battles when you know that the war is already won. :thumb:

Disco said:
Do also remember that all of these boosted hatchbacks are geared shorter than Verne Troyer.

:grin:

On a runway day I recall seeing a highly modified Scooby do the 30-130 in 4.1 seconds but it topped out at 145.

T8 said:
Disco said:
Do also remember that all of these boosted hatchbacks are geared shorter than Verne Troyer.

:grin:

On a runway day I recall seeing a highly modified Scooby do the 30-130 in 4.1 seconds but it topped out at 145.

Bloody nora! And I thought I was the fastest thing on earth with 6.9! But I push on past the double ton....
Oh no, hang on. Just checked and it's 60-130. Blimey, 30 to 130 in 4 seconds must hurt!

OP - You need a Turbo, sadly N/A's are not quick, and a slightly breathed on Scooby, EVO or RS will show you its rear end with ease !!

There are some serious bhp Subaru's out there, but even the base WRX can push out 320-330 bhp before breaking the gearbox, and that's a lot of very accessible horsepower. Combine that with a committed driver, and you've got one stuck to your arse. :frustrated:

Unless you are on an autobahn and in the 130-180mph top-end race, the most important is torque and power in the 40-130mph range in this country on country lanes.

The Turbo excels in this range with 2nd gear up to 75mph on the red line, 3rd with 110 on the red line and snick inot 4th and still got two more gears though the torque starts to peter out in high speeds in 5th and 6th I'd guess (never having attempted it).

There are some quick hatches - Skoda RS, Seat Leon RS, Ford RS, Subaru, Golf VR32 etc.

MaxA said:
There are some serious bhp Subaru's out there, but even the base WRX can push out 320-330 bhp before breaking the gearbox, and that's a lot of very accessible horsepower. Combine that with a committed driver, and you've got one stuck to your arse. :frustrated:

...and one who will overtake you, whatever the cost to his or your life.

Some of these Subaru/Ford boys spend £20,000 on engine mods. Don't get it myself.

However I do get the person who buys an old rusty Merc saloon and puts a V8 or V12 under the bonnet and blows away everything on the road. I admire that.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back