Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Y2K's arctic silver 2001 C2 3.4

Had a mini road trip in Wales and a track day at Anglesey last weekend.

https://youtu.be/e6Z8PSe6mNc

A short clip from Anglesey; this was the final lap of my morning session before I managed to lock my car key, wallet and phone in the boot. (as documented in my other thread) :frustrated:

It was my first time at Anglesey; great circuit, pity I missed out almost half a day of track time due to me being a plonker. :nooo:

Attachments

• img_1824_27e_181.jpg
    img_1824_27e_181.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 7,479
  • img_1825_27e_797.jpg
    img_1825_27e_797.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 7,479
  • img_1826_27e_132.jpg
    img_1826_27e_132.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 7,479
  • img_1841_27e_201.jpg
    img_1841_27e_201.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 7,479
  • img_1846_27e_132.jpg
    img_1846_27e_132.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 7,479
  • img_1851_27e_161.jpg
    img_1851_27e_161.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 7,479
  • img_1852_27e_128.jpg
    img_1852_27e_128.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 7,479
  • img_1862_27e2_190.jpg
    img_1862_27e2_190.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 7,479
  • img_1871_27e_408.jpg
    img_1871_27e_408.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 7,479
Nice to see one getting lots of use. Nightmare at your trackday but you have to laugh. :grin:

Nice pictures. That first one is great. :thumb:

Some great pictures....

A bit of a journey round the best parts of North Wales. The Evo triangle? and would that be the B4391 from Ffestiniog down to the A4212 toward Bala?

I also have a C2, manual, option code 014 full aero........ in silver. (Think they must have made a few!)

My dad lives up near Llangollen, so will be copying you later next year I hope.

Cheers James

Jamesx19 said:
A bit of a journey round the best parts of North Wales. The Evo triangle? and would that be the B4391 from Ffestiniog down to the A4212 toward Bala?

10 internet points to you sir! Correct and correct! First time driving in mid/north Wales for me.

Btw I used to live in Brighton. :thumb:

Few of us are, or have been down here in sunny Brighton. Must be something in the air.....

Y2K said:
Went to Castle Combe yesterday and had a very good day. Only just scraped through the static noise test though; the limit was at 100dB and I was asked to rev the engine to 4,500rpm but I cheated and registered 100dB at 4,100rpm. This will rule out Thruxton for me and a couple other 'quiet' circuits.

The car performed well all day and the brakes fared much better than at Donington, although they will benefit from an upgrade. As will the tyres and the seats - the existing seats are making the car more physically demanding to drive than it ought to be.

Coolant temperature was no higher than 107 degree; according to posts here that's within the acceptable range on track.

I still wasn't brave enough to do a 'Tiff Needell flick' at high speed corner entry; I thought Castle Combe perhaps wasn't the best place to try it. I guess I will have to visit Bedford at some point.

Ultimately the car is not that quick (207 bhp/tonne) but it's not a track car, so I'm enjoying it for what it is, a fine road 911.

Could I ask what brake and tyre setup your running?

I have recently purchased a very similar car that I intend to track come the spring any feedback on what works and what doesn't would be appreciated. - Cheers

crash7 said:
Could I ask what brake and tyre setup your running?

I have recently purchased a very similar car that I intend to track come the spring any feedback on what works and what doesn't would be appreciated. - Cheers

Brake pads and discs: Pagid package (from Eurocarparts?) fitted by last owner. Basically they are 'road' specs.

Tyres: Pirelli P-Zero Rosso (came with the car)

RE: brakes, the 'issues' (over heating, soft paddle) I experienced at Donington were actually self-inflicted. This is my first 911 and my first car with 'floor hinged' paddle; basically at Donington, as I was braking, the outside of my right foot was catching the throttle, possibly due to myself trying to position my foot to execute H+T downchange. This was picked up by my instructor at Car Limits so I have improved my technique since.

The Pagids are adequate on track, but essentially they are road specs so I'll change to Brembo HP2000 next (as recommanded by 911uk forum members). I've heard good things about Performance Friction pfc 08 also.

The P Zeros are fine on track but they do overheat. The 'breakaway' is fairly transparent in the dry, although as demonstrated in my video above (see my Wales/Anglesey post) rear-engined > any tyre characteristic. They are perfectly fine tyres for the road though.

I bought a second set of wheels and they have Bridgestone S-02A fitted. Once they are finished I'll probably try Yokohama AD08R.

Finally for reference, I had the car noise tested again, this time at Goodwood a few weeks ago. Again it registered 100dB :nooo: ; interestingly I spoke to a 997 C4S owner there and his only made 95dB.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Mine is currently on axle stands in the garage being prep'd, first hand feedback is priceless!

Brake wise I am also intending on running OEM discs and calipers to start, research tells me that the adding of 997 GT3 brake ducts front and rear helps cooling, I picked mine up from OPC with all 4 costing less than £20.

In addition I have also removed the brake disc dust guards, again sheds a little weight, grams, but more relevantly improves cooling. Easy to do and free.

Pads and fluid also apparently make a big difference, I was going to go for the Brembo HP's but settled on Pagid RS42 and intend on using Motul or Millers high temp race fluid.

I am hopeful that they will be man enough for job, time will tell.

Tyre wise I settled on Yokohama AD08R after hearing good things, as a bonus they also look great, side walls are square and remind me of Avon ACB10's picked them up cheap, circa £100 a corner.

In regards to noise, what exhaust are you running?

RE: brakes, I'll change to Brembo HP & ATE Super Blue fluid once the current Pagid pads are finished (suprisingly duarble!). Mine has cooling ducts also but don't think they are the larger 997 ones.

Apart from the FVD oil sump, I have not modified the car. I thought it's best to see what works / doesn't, before spending money. I'm not trying to build a 'track special' though, rather it's a road car that does 4-6 track days p.a.

crash7 said:
In regards to noise, what exhaust are you running?

Dansk (sport) fitted in Aug 2012. When I was at the driving training event, forum member 'arry was there (also a 3.4 C2) and with the same system (albeit newer) and he said that mine sounded louder than his. My mechanic commented that it didn't seem all that durable. Sounds great though.

I'm guessing Castle Combe is your local track? Drop me a line when you are going. Cheers!

This may be of use in relation to pads, I have just picked up a set, the price is an outright steal, a full set for what you would usually pay for a pair.

http://forums.tipec.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=22094

Combe / Silverstone are about equidistant for me, I like both, although prefer Silverstone even though 300hp is somewhat limiting.

Do you notice any drops in oil pressure under hard cornering with the FVD sump/baffle? - Its on my to-do list, any particular reason why you went for FVD versus the others that are available?

Cheers

Y2K said:
wasz said:
I heard this is where the ex-Corrado owners hang out...

I had two VR6, a '94 Aqua Blue and later a '93 Schwarz Black. And a whole load of Mk2 golf GTIs :mrgreen:

911 looks great!

911s seem to be natural progression for us ex-Corrado owners. :thumb:

Actually come to think of it the power delivery of the 996 3.4 isn't too dissimilar to the VR6, and they both sound great too!

Me too! Had a Twilight Violet VR6 for 5 years. Fantastic car.
Y2k - whereabouts are you in Hampshire. I'm looking a buying a 3.4 C2 - would it be possible to pop over and chat some time?

crash7 said:
This may be of use in relation to pads, I have just picked up a set, the price is an outright steal, a full set for what you would usually pay for a pair.

http://forums.tipec.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=22094

Do you notice any drops in oil pressure under hard cornering with the FVD sump/baffle? - Its on my to-do list, any particular reason why you went for FVD versus the others that are available?

Cheers

RE: brakes, thanks for the link. How do I order them? I clicked on the third link from your link above and it took me back to a 911uk page?

RE: sump
I had it installed before my first track day. It was a preventative measure as I was hoping to take the car to Thruxton (my favourite UK track), that's before I found out my car's too loud.

I chose FVD after reading this thread:
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=103535&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

'poppopbangbang' is the chap with the 300+k miles 996. I bought it directly from FVD, the exchange rate was favourable then so it was cheaper than UK suppliers. Worth checking.

No issue with oil pressure on track and ground clearance remained the same. My mechanic thought the quality of the product was first class.

searider said:
Me too! Had a Twilight Violet VR6 for 5 years. Fantastic car.
Y2k - whereabouts are you in Hampshire. I'm looking a buying a 3.4 C2 - would it be possible to pop over and chat some time?

Replied. :thumb:

Thanks for the info on the FVD sump, I think I am sold on it! - Once I finish with the brakes and suspension it will be next.

I noticed you removed your rear bumper impact bar, in doing so you lose the towing eye point, what do you use as an alternative?

In relation to the Pagid RS5 below is the guys e-mail address.

[email protected]

Mine arrived next day.

Cheers

Thanks for the email, I have contacted the seller.

RE: FVD sump, my mechanic mentioned the bolts came with the sump and/or (???) fitting kit were a tad too short in his opinion. Replacement were easily sourced though.

crash7 said:
I noticed you removed your rear bumper impact bar, in doing so you lose the towing eye point, what do you use as an alternative?

No rear towing eye at the moment so only front. It's a risk!

Cheers.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back