Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911tom's 3.8l engine build

I put a schrick cam on my old mini. Made a big difference to the mid range (which that particular cam profile was designed for).

As DynoMike says they are supposed to have some great cam profilers. I wouldn't say my experience with them in any way translates over to what you're after though, but the question wasn't 'has anyone had experience on a 996 turbo with schrick sport cams' :wink:

Following this thread with real interest mate, keep the updates coming!

:popcorn:

Sounds like the way forward then! Matt seems to think so too. I'm going to visit fearnsport next week so will hopefully have a build update.

no experience with schrick other than their good reputation.

my take on the cam situation is that it will help and give you more area under the curve, but as IMI A says its not really going to help with rev-ability, i.e constrained to (close to) stock rev limits.

for me it would be go full gt3 top end or stick with stock blueprinted and mildly ported heads and with OE cams.

I guess it all comes down to cost, if that isn't an issue then go with the best components you can.

ultimately for your Vmax events as much area under the curve would be beneficial, so assuming the schrick cams help you achieve that then why not

After all the updates on Faried's car I am now getting very excited. Mine won't be on quite the same level as Faried's I don't think but hopefully will be enough to scare me lol.

Since my last post I have received the fuel kit and the intercoolers. I had a very positive conversation with Matt @ Fearnsport this morning. We are just waiting on the cams and then the engine can be timed, lids go on, ancillaries etc then engine in. There is some work to do to the car itself, running fuel lines, fitting of intercoolers, intakes etc. He thinks by the end of the month it should be back on the road. I won't hold my breath but am hopeful! I already have a map loaded on the ECU which ran perfectly mafless which will only allow spring pressure on boost.I need to discuss running in etc with Matt but I am thinking 500 miles off boost, oil change, 500 miles with boost but on springs only, oil change then the car will go up to Unicorn motor developments for a week to be fully tuned. I will of course have to monitor fueling etc throughout the running in process.

I will likey ask Rick @ unicorn to provide 4 maps;

0. Spring pressure boost
1. 1.1 bar for normal day to day, school run, popping to tesco etc...
2. full boost. Not sure what that will be, I'm thinking 1.6 bar for my turbos
3. full boost with methanol injection activated for when I line up next to Faried at terminal velocity :hand:

I'll hopefully have some pics to follow soon!

Whhheeeeeyyyy Tom, great news and keep us updated, fingers crossed on the timelines,,,,excited for you too

I will get a special map marked up as "TOM vs FRP" !!!

Enjoy

UPDATE ADDED TO PAGE 1

I have decided to edit the original 1st post to keep the whole build together to make it easier to read for someone considering this type of build in the future.

Great to see your build thread progressing Tom, very uplifting :thumbs:

I'm sure Feansport will have that back in the car real soon, keep the updates coming
:thumb:

Tom

Great news.......soon very soon

Coolio

This should be fantastic, well done.

Am I the only one that is appalled by Porsche's workmanship and forgetting to bolt the pump down ?

I know it was "back in the day" but Just wondering if you had any correspondents with them as its clear you had proof the engine had never been apart since.

Anyway it will be a very quick car once done :thumb:

Yeah couldn't agree more it's not great but hard to prove anything really without a fight. There were clear marks on the engine casing where the pump had been moving. I guess it could be proved that the pump was original etc. But you know what, it had done nearly 100k miles like it. I'm not sure any other engine would withstand a cluck up like that. I've not lost a single nights sleep over it and it'll be worth any heart ache and cash spent when it comes back.

cant wait to see this and FRPs car at a few top speed events. Hope you're both booked on VMAX and TV ; )

iMI A

For sure. Don't know about Vmax as it's £500 is it not? But TV is much cheaper. !!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back