Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Leak at spark plug hole valve covers

jlee

Monza
Folks,

Apparently I have a leak coming from the spark plug hole of the upper valve cover.

All is fine around the valve cover with no leaks except the spark plug hole.

I have been advised perhaps something to do with rocker shaft not being properly seated or damaged after rebuild and also advised it may just be a seal around the valve cover spark plug hole. Rebuild was done aces years ago and did not leak then so wondering what is up?

Anyone care to shed some words of wisdom on that ?

Thank

If there is a leak on the rocker shaft on the upper valves then the whole plug chamber will be full of oil. There is no seal on the plug cap itself btw. Sounds implausible to me, pull the plug cap and check for oil then clean everything and see if you can determine where the leak originates.

This is a common leak area, oil can get past the rocker shafts and get to the area of the cam housing which is supposed to be dry, the plug chambers, it then leaks onto the heat exchangers giving that burnt oil smell. There's no seal on the shafts as standard, they seal by compression causing expansion when the through bolt is tightened.
More importantly the rocker shafts can slide in their housing and start to come out, this can cause a lot of damage so make sure that your rocker shafts are positioned correctly which is not obvious unless you know what you're looking for. The first sign of a "walking" rocker shaft is the leak you described.
Google it you'll see what I mean.
This happened to mine, the engine will be getting rebuilt next year when I get a chance to do it, the shaft partially slipped out causing the rocker to seize and was snapped in half probably by the piston hitting the exhaust valve.

The annoying thing was that I was conscious of the leak which developed quite quickly :nooo:
At the time I thought it was the rocker cover gasket

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back