Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 GT3 brake problem - long pedal when hot

Senoj said:
All brands of pads do this. Its an artefact of the six pistons and long (ish) pad rather than the pads maker i believe.

The time when I ran a set of Endless they didn't do it. I seem to recall that the OE ones wore fairly even too, but given that they only lasted 2.5 track days that doesn't really matter... Everything else that I have tried did though.

Cunno said:
How does the uneven wear create a long pedal as per the OPs problem and by rotating or changing pads cure it? Or do we think his issue will remain?

The issue will present eventually (it goes long when you are down to minimal pad depth), but flipping the pads so that they wear evenly will get you more life out of them before it comes to that. If you aren't in the habit of having less than 2mm of pad depth then you won't experience it. I don't know if it is thermal, because the pistons are that much closer to maximum extension or something else causing it though. Just that it is what happens.

Disco said:
Senoj said:
All brands of pads do this. Its an artefact of the six pistons and long (ish) pad rather than the pads maker i believe.

The time when I ran a set of Endless they didn't do it. I seem to recall that the OE ones wore fairly even too, but given that they only lasted 2.5 track days that doesn't really matter... Everything else that I have tried did though.

You change your own pads and measured them then ? :D

I have used and changed myself, so taken them out and looked at them, even measured with digital thing , Pagid, PF and Endless, all do it.

Disco said:
Cunno said:
How does the uneven wear create a long pedal as per the OPs problem and by rotating or changing pads cure it? Or do we think his issue will remain?

The issue will present eventually (it goes long when you are down to minimal pad depth), but flipping the pads so that they wear evenly will get you more life out of them before it comes to that. If you aren't in the habit of having less than 2mm of pad depth then you won't experience it. I don't know if it is thermal, because the pistons are that much closer to maximum extension or something else causing it though. Just that it is what happens.

But the photos show 5mm left on the thinnest part, so not sure that the above will resolve this issue?

Anybody put on a different set of calipers? Something like Alcon for example?

Cunno said:
Disco said:
Cunno said:

But the photos show 5mm left on the thinnest part, so not sure that the above will resolve this issue?

Theres 5mm left because they haven't been flipped around hence why you need to keep an eye on them. Its probably (maybe?) a bit too late for these to be flipped. This happens on the road too just not to the same extent.

This is all assuming that the OP's heat issue is the culprit.

Rear pads good as new.

The only solution here looks to be new front rotors.

Senoj said:
Cunno said:
Disco said:
Cunno said:

Theres 5mm left because they haven't been flipped around hence why you need to keep an eye on them. Its probably (maybe?) a bit too late for these to be flipped. This happens on the road too just not to the same extent.

This is all assuming that the OP's heat issue is the culprit.

Understand that, but are we saying that running pads down to 5mm or less will give you the issue OP has with long pedal? Being a Northerner I take then to the back plate on PF and not suffered this issue. The one set of R29s I've used had the same angle of wear as Ops but I'd gone into the backing plate at bottom edge. (hadn't spotted the issue of uneven wear it was the grinding noise that alerted me), but didn't suffer from the long pedal described.

mm450exc said:
Rear pads good as new.

The only solution here looks to be new front rotors.

Don't follow rotor look ok?

Yes - rotor looks ok. But if they wear the pads like this you only really using 50% of the pad/caliper...

mm450exc said:
Yes - rotor looks ok. But if they wear the pads like this you only really using 50% of the pad/caliper...

I'm no expert in this stuff but can't see how the rotor is causing the issue, unless the 12mm increase in dia is some how effecting. To me the issue is the calliper. The thread on Rennlist which you have contributed too could hold the answer. The guy explain that the pucks are getting pulled back off the discs by the seals and dust covers, I'd run without dust covers and see if it makes a difference then also look at seals on calipers. As others have said uneven wear is common but not to that extent. Had same issue with wear on the only set of R29 pads Ive used but didnt suffer from long pedal. I've changed pad type and fluid will report back on wear.

Sorry - typo! Ment to say caliper....

I will go over the front calipers and pop in a new set of RS19 and report back.

Just keep an eye on the pads and flip them when you start to see them wedging up, its not that hard and cheap too...

Vln and cup cars run the same caliper, there's nothing wrong with it.

Just to resolve this thread...

PFC08 sorted it. What a difference compared to the pagids!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back