Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil choice help please

mzmini

Barcelona
My 997 is due for a service later this month and my indie suggests that I change from 0/40 Mobil 1 to 5/40 Mobil 1, can anyone explain why please never quite got the hang of the oil numbers
many thanks
MZ

This is always an odd one to me, but I'm definely not an expert, only somebody who has spent far too much time reading up about it :roll:

With the Mobil oils, the 0w-40 is a "Mobil 1" oil (along with the Mobil 1 5w-50 and Mobil 1 10w-60) whereas the the 5w-40 isn't. You get the distinct impression if you do a little research, including reading Mobil's own description of their oils, that the Mobil 1 range is their "premium" range made from the same high quality basestocks, anti-wear, anti-sludge, anti-acidity additive package and they seem to offer pretty impressive HTHS viscosity (anti-shear) compared to other Porsche A40 approved oils.

If your indie is suggesting the Mobil 5w-40 because it's "thicker", it doesn't really stack up for me because at operating temp, the "-40" is the same, it's only when cold that the "5w" is thicker than the "0w" but unless your car is leaking oil when cold/stationary, I can't see the benefit of the 5w over a 0w :?

If you want a thicker oil because you've racked up a few miles and believe that the greater internal clearances means thicker is better and you want a Porsche A40 approved oil, then Mobil 1 5w-50 is an option. My car has done 51k miles and I'm leaning in that direction for its next change, an OPC will use it if asked and many default to it for older cars.

If you're not concerned about staying with Porsche A40 approved oil and want to go up a level in quality to a racing oil and also go thicker, then there are a few options, such as a Motul 5w-50 ester-synthetic oil or of course the Millers NFS nano oils that lots of people on here use and Hartech will recommend too, it comes in 5w-40, 10w-50 and 10w-60.

Thanks MJA that helps a lot I will check with the Indie that I have not got the 5/40oil confused with Mobil 5/50 I sure it is a Mobil 1 oil he wanted to use
thanks for that
cheers MZ :

Chris, I am using Millers Oils NANODRIVE CFS 10w-50 NT Full Synthetic Engine Oil.
best price is from opie oil using a car club discount code or a promo they run
usually between 10% and 15% depends on the promo.

I use it as MJA911 says because Hartech say it's best for engines with higher mileage. and for the sake of a few squid why not. :thumb:

Thanks gents will chat with them next week :thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back