Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Neon yellow/green fluid leaking onto garage floor

markz86

So i went to clear out my garage today, and noticed some neon green spots on the garage floor below where the exhaust usually is when the car is parked in the garage.

There was a few spots each side of the car.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what fluid this might be?

I googled it and it seems quite a common issue on all models of car, but is particularly linked with driving in snow (see link below). there is no snow in bristol, but it could perhaps be the same phenomenon?

the liquid under my car (image below) seems to be the same colour as the liquid in the thread below and the one over on rennlist

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/118604-neon-lime-greenyellow-fluid-leak-solved/

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/630804-strange-green-fluid-under-car.html

That looks extremely fluorescent, and given the criticality of its loss, any other trivial possibility needs to come second to you first checking the coolant levels and from there (if indicated) the coolant system integrity.

You could try to taste it (don't swallow, and wash you mouth/tongue), but coolant is sweet and has a silky/syrupy texture between the fingers too.

Probably do the finger test first!

EDIT: I've just checked the other side (that I didn't clean) and I can confirm that the liquid has the consistency of water and tastes a little salty. No sweetness to the taste at all.

When I cleaned the floor earlier it felt very watery between the fingers.

I've checked the coolant level, and it's still on max. It's also red in colour.

I've also checked the AC and that is fully working too.

I only noticed it this evening, I've driven the car for about an hour today (out all day) with no issues. The car has been parked up now for a few hours and no new green leakage has occurred.

I did notice while checking the AC function that water was dropping from the join between the side mufflers and central muffler (H&S bypass), it was suspiciously close to where the marks on the floor were, but at this point it was coming out clear.

Suspect it must be the residues mentioned in your links then

Although AC has both oil lubricant and a UV dye, refrigerant leaks will be gas, not liquid.

If the system liquid was escaping the gas would be way ahead of it! (ie AC would not work/would be on the way out)

Did you check for this guy?

Attachments

• img_4218_395.png
    img_4218_395.png
    955.6 KB · Views: 9,182
sideways said:
Did you check for this guy?

Yes! looks like he was hiding in the exhaust area!

No more spots this morning so the mystery continues.

The catalytic convertor geneates water as a by product , more so on the warm up phase , this combines with the gasses .. im guessing sulpher and can cause a yellow stained water .. it will drip out of the exhaust normally where theres a join.

looking at the exhaust you can sometimes see a dry yellowish stain .

Its a normal function of the system but i have no idear the exact reason for it and it will effect any car with a cat.

Red is coolant as mentioned .. a/c dye is green but theres nothing near the exhaust that can leak and its also oil based .

Pentosin is green .. again oil based but not used here .

Link here but to be honest its above my pay grade .

http://www.chemistryland.com/CHM107Lab/Exp02_Exhaust/Lab2Exp2Exhaust.html

Thats my thoughts anyways .

OEM (Elf) coolant is green by reflection and pink by transmittance (ie coolant looks green when you look into it, and pink when you look through it)

I extracted a small amount of coolant and dropped some on the floor, it's still pink / red in appearance.

I checked under the car again, and as mentioned, there is a very small yellow spot on the bottom of the cat. It looks like water has leaked from the connection to the x-pipe and pooled / dripped from there.

I only had the x pipe fitted 2 weeks ago, so I expect that the connection to the cat isn't as tight as it should be, allowing the liquid that otherwise would have evaporated within the exhaust to escape.

Obviously it's alien blood. You have an extra terrestrial hiding in your garage!

markz86 said:
I extracted a small amount of coolant and dropped some on the floor, it's still pink / red in appearance.

Might be something to do with daylight, but I can assure you the Elf stuff is bi-coloured

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back