Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake pads

weejimmy

Anyone had them replaced?

Car has done 18K miles and I am being told my rears need replacing. I rarely have to have pads done on cars (I generally change cars after 3 years). Surprised that the rears would need doing before the fronts! Is that typical on a 911?

Cheers.

Yes, due to the weight distribution, the rears do a larger proportion of the braking than a normal car. And at least on mine, the rear discs are the same diameter as the fronts (they're a bit thinner, though). I'll be putting Pagid RS29 pads on front and back shortly.

My last couple of cars have had rear pads wear out first.

What price have you been given?

£575. Seems pretty steep for 1.5 hours work. Anyone else had a price to change the rear pads?

My local indy charges £220+VAT to do rear pads on a 997. Cant see a 991 being much more work?

Phoned another Porsche main dealer... £970 sir. Which I queried. They are going to check that isnt for discs! Suddenly my local OPC seems competitive!

Second dealer now inline with my OPC - said just the pads were £370 the pair! I do need new stoppers as when I looked at the pads myself they look like they are pretty worn. So hey ho.. :dont know:

Did the sensors trigger, or was it simply from an inspection?

Car with with the dealers for something else and they said "It need new front tyres and rear pads. Shall we fit them sit"? Cough!

I eventually got it out of them that out of the six measurements for the front tyres only one was less than 3mm at 2.95mm. The rest were all over 3 but that triggered their 'collect customer credit card' logic. I was loathed to replace the fronts as they are the originals and have done 20k. Rears were changed at 12K and have about 4mm currently left so I'll do all 4 when they are worn out. Surprised they would advocate new fronts with worn rears... mate totaled an Evo6 with that setup on!

They also eventually told me that the pads were at 4mm and start at 10mm. I said go for it, but by that time it was about 2:00pm as they took forever to provide the details and when I said "do it" they said they dont stock pads as service items and had none available. So couldnt fit them and "would I like to re-book"? It would be funny if it wasn't so sad! A main dealer that doesn't stock brake pads!

That was 1500 miles ago so have now booked it in after visually checking myself. TBH pedal is a bit long and there isnt a lot of bite at the top so I think they are due. No warning light though. Dont want to get to that point as I dont want to do the discs as well.

Fair play... in my RS6, the brake costs were savage, and at the time no aftermarket alternatives were available... every 20k miles (so once a year for me for the 4 years I had it), £2,200 for a set of discs and pads. Plus a service every 10k, plus tyres every 12k, plus fuel every 12 miles... it would have been cheaper to have a mistress. My best ever was a thermostat at £15 part and £1,000 labour to take the engine out to fit it, and £5k for suspension.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back