Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo RWD conversion

911tom

It seems a lot of 'big power' turbos are converted to RWD. Is this purely done to change the driving experience or is there some weak components that force the mod? My car is a tiptronic and at a guess will be around 900hp. I have had the gearbox built to handle 1300nm torque. Being a tip and the turbo in general is not the best track car, I am not looking to improve track experience. For that reason I'd prefer to keep AWD. Any one no of any reason why I should go RWD?

JD / Ken I'm looking at you guys...

I spoke with Matt about this, decided to stay with AWD as there were concerns about serious traction issues otherwise.

MC

Yeah... That would be my concern. Going RWD seems a step backwards in some ways but most seem to be converted and I wonder why? So long as nothing is likely to break I'd prefer to keep AWD.

These cars were built with AWD for a good reason, to keep them on the road. By more than doubling the BHP and building an amazing road rocket, why ruin the work by restricting it to 2wd and being unable to put down onto the road all that lovely BHP you've just shelled out for.
Tom, 900 BHP, you nutter :D :worship: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Could not agree more Marcus. but people seem to convert them... All logic suggests that to get the power down AWD has to be better. Sure there are more transmission losses but got to be better. I can only think the reason is strength.

It may not be quite 900hp but I am trying to over engineer to make it reliable hence the strong, slightly OTT tiptronic box build.

The stock front diff bearing don't hold up too well even with standard power.

But i'm sure some HD aftermarket bearings would sort out that issue,
The viscous coupling should shield the front drive parts from any serious shocks or torque... although I'm not sure on how well that would take much power/heat.

Tom

Are you running an after market ECU?
The only reason I would consider changing to RWD would be if I was running Syvecs etc, control of traction control.
Even then, I would only switch to RWD in the event the front drive train wasn't capable of coping with the increased power delivery or it was subjective if it would control much beyond a certain point.

900hp is monstrous, respect :thumbs:

Weight saving?

Steering feel, weight distribution, reliability, weight saving, more fun, individuality...
The rear tyres on these car's are very wide so grip really isn't that much of a concern, I've run an 1100kg Rwd car with over 600bhp with 245 sections on the back, so a turbo with 295's or similar and all the weight over the back axle isn't really struggling for grip.

Tom

If you make a real 900hp you understand that firstly your PSM button will need to be off at any real load because it will stop you in your tracks - literally halt the car on acceleration because it cannot cope.

Secondly you have zero chance of running AWD with that hp - there are a lot of reasons why both hardware and safety as to why you will need to be RWD.

RWD and buckets of hp works fine. RWD in any 996 Turbo is a much better driving experience especially with PSM off - you can actually feel what it is doing instead of guessing and you will need to be able to feel the tyres. People seem to think that switching PSM off will kill you - it won't just driving not to the conditions will.

If it was the 997 Platform my answer would be slightly different.

Ken

WOW sounds like your going very serious with this rebuild :thumbs:

Ken tried to call you today .

Ken, I would be interested to hear why it really must be RWD, would the same apply if running a Syvecs?

MC

996ttalot said:
Tom

If you make a real 900hp you understand that firstly your PSM button will need to be off at any real load because it will stop you in your tracks - literally halt the car on acceleration because it cannot cope.

Secondly you have zero chance of running AWD with that hp - there are a lot of reasons why both hardware and safety as to why you will need to be RWD.

RWD and buckets of hp works fine. RWD in any 996 Turbo is a much better driving experience especially with PSM off - you can actually feel what it is doing instead of guessing and you will need to be able to feel the tyres. People seem to think that switching PSM off will kill you - it won't just driving not to the conditions will.

If it was the 997 Platform my answer would be slightly different.

Ken

Ken you are a true gent :thumbs:

I thought there'd be good reason for not keeping it AWD, there had to be. I don't know what power I'll see tbh but safety and reliability are key. Your comments regarding psm actually reflect my car in the small time that I had it with larger injectors etc. It seemed psm was fine when I ran stock injectors but the extra power meant psm cut the power on WOT. I suspect my days of turning up at vmax and just mashing the throttle are long gone lol

One last question Ken (I know your busy). Am I correct in presuming psm will not register any faults. As whilst the awd system is mechanically fairly clever it has not electronic connection. Well other than abs obviously. Therefore it should not even notice the lack of drive to the front wheels. I'll just turn psm off when at an event. Around town I can keep it on and either run a different map or modulate my foot.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back