Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 GT2RS Build... (Update - Dec 2022)

Mr02ard said:
Looking great - I dread to think what the total spend is!! But you love it which is what it's all about. Top job mate 👌

Haha I also dread to think what the total spend is!

Fantastic stuff isysman thank for sharing ;) Brings back memories
Do you know how they managed to drill out the spot welds without penetrating the panel it was attached to? Also the video made it look quite easy; simple things like transferring over those attachment brackets from the side windows is a right pain

Great story and build,

Quote from this thread two years ago almost to the day..

"Well now that I know the body conversion is going to take longer than I had planned (maybe a year longer, possibly more)...."

ELA said:
Fantastic stuff isysman thank for sharing ;) Brings back memories
Do you know how they managed to drill out the spot welds without penetrating the panel it was attached to? Also the video made it look quite easy; simple things like transferring over those attachment brackets from the side windows is a right pain

I have no idea how they did it! I was wondering about it myself but didn't ask. I know the video makes it looks fairly straightforward but as you know only too well it's far more involved. I was there almost two entire days and when I arrived on the first day they had already stripped out the interior and all the glass etc. They had also already drilled the roof. Owen the chap who did the work said he made a jig for the side windows to move the brackets over (missed that as well). On the second day I was there from 10am until 1630. I showed him some of the photos from your thread, the one with the wheels on top of the roof!

That looks like pretty much everything to me, so : is it finally done then? Or is there more still to come?

Great project and will be looking forward to see further developments!

On another note, I haven't seen and RS for sale for some time. Any speculation on values now?

:thumbs:

porkyb1 said:
Great story and build,

Quote from this thread two years ago almost to the day..

"Well now that I know the body conversion is going to take longer than I had planned (maybe a year longer, possibly more)...."

Ha well spotted. I forgot about that. So it seems I was pretty accurate about the time it would take!

Disco said:
That looks like pretty much everything to me, so : is it finally done then? Or is there more still to come?

The bodywork Is complete now. Next will be Suspension, probably in the spring and once the paint is settled I'll get it detailed and PPF on the front. I've also spoken to 9e about further engine mods, but I'm not sure about that yet.

isysman said:
Next will be Suspension

Any ideas what you are going to do there? Or are you just installing the front lift system?

I am going to 9e for their fully adjustable setup. It costs a fair bit but I heard from another forum member who has done it that it is worth the money.

apollokre1d said:
isysman said:
Next will be Suspension

Any ideas what you are going to do there? Or are you just installing the front lift system?

I am going to 9e for their fully adjustable setup. It costs a fair bit but I heard from another forum member who has done it that it is worth the money.

Yes I'm going with the TechArt coilover kit with front axle lift system. Tech 9 explained that they take the Bilstein Damptronics kit (which was my original choice) and improve the damping by modifying the valves. So it's a better ride.

KMA880 said:
Great project and will be looking forward to see further developments!

On another note, I haven't seen and RS for sale for some time. Any speculation on values now?

:thumbs:

I found this advert put up on 8 Nov. This is a left hooker and is for sale for £304,000. I suspect this is a car known to me also, if it is the same one it has a big accident at the Nurburgring a couple of years ago as it was at Tech 9 being repaired when my car was in there. It has aftermarket 20in wheels on it at the time.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C761423

7556133.jpg

Here is the what I think is the same car with the old wheels on it.

Reason I think it's the same car, yellow roll cage, oversized GT2RS badge on the rear and RS in yellow and shortened numberplate on the front. It's been covered in the for sale advert but you can see the shortened plate still on underneath.

Mr02ard said:
£304k 😳
Yes. This is exactly what I was going to say: it is an expensive project, no doubt. But it will still cost miles and miles less than an original. And I don't know how Isysman feels about driving hard, but one of my motivators in building a replica GT2RS is not having the worry that if something happens on a track day, etc, I will be destroying a large som of money AND a piece of history-just a mediocre a sum of money :grin:

ELA said:
Do you know how they managed to drill out the spot welds without penetrating the panel it was attached to?
While Spot welds are drilled with flat drills with only a small pilot point and there are even fixtures that allow drilling to a specific depth, you will always see the bottom spot when the panels come apart.
th902.jpg
spot-weld-drill.jpg

I didn't see anything in the vid either - so I assume they must have given the flange a light grind and a spot of primer previously.

Funny how everyone is now talking to you about the DSC suspension module, Isys. As we both want cars that perform optimally on both road and track, I believe this is the best solution. As IMI_A said, give the module alone with your stock PASM suspension a try - it's only $1200. You'll need it anyway if you go with the Tractive coilovers later. I wanted to go this route as well, but without a PASM suspension, I would have had to purchase the full $7000 suspension plus the DSC module, accelerometer, and wiring harness. But an aquaintance offered me a nearly new 997 GT2 suspension at a very reasonable price. So I will try this with the DSC module before sinking an additional $7000 in the Tractive coilovers. Now I just have to work out my lower, rear damper mounts, as the 996 has an eyelet and the 997 a bracket...

IMG_1015_zpstkljk7f1.jpeg

wow £300k for a bent Left hooker!

I love the focus on the roof, getting rid of the sunroof, changing the liner, poly carb windows etc and those final bits that you are focusing on really make this build special and unique to you. shame about the carbon roof as they do look the part. I used to love the carbon roof on my old CSLs.

are you going to do the carbon mirrors and put a cage in the back as all the OEM RS seem to have those?

you would be pretty much there then and only a real anorak with it in the air underneath could tell. is it still 4wd?

Mirrors are already done. They are OEM mirror covers with new OEM auto dimming glass replacements.

Well there are cars without the cage, that was part of the clubsport package. However I am planning to fit one. When the car was in getting the roof done they said it would have been a good time to fit it as the interior was stripped out. However when I contact OPC they said they no longer make them for the 997. And I couldn't find an OEM look cage inside the UK. The only ones I could find are in the US. But it's on my list.

Yes it's still AWD, that won't be changing, I like the security of that system.

NLW73 said:
are you going to do the carbon mirrors and put a cage in the back as all the OEM RS seem to have those?

The number that don't have the cage is actually more than you would think (and it wasn't even available in some markets, such as the USA {for type approval reasons no porkers have them over there from the factory - even GT3 RSs - and everyone who wants one has to retrofit}), so its absence in a replica really isn't that much of a big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back