Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Christmas came early...

Stuart Mackay said:
+1 for gorgeousness :thumbs:
plus I am typing this cuddling and surrounded by my early Chrimbo pressie, a new set of forged magnesium 19 inch Manthey MM1s that I collected today :thumb:

These are my absolute favourite rim for the 997 five stud. A load of Manthey tax but so hard to resist.

Senoj said:
Stuart Mackay said:
plus I am typing this cuddling and surrounded by my early Chrimbo pressie, a new set of forged magnesium 19 inch Manthey MM1s that I collected today :thumb:

These are my absolute favourite rim for the 997 five stud. A load of Manthey tax but so hard to resist.

Tis true about MAT, but OMG, soooooooooooo light and made of unobtainium!

Stuart Mackay said:
Senoj said:
Stuart Mackay said:

Check them carefully for cracks where the spokes meet the rims after you've done the second set of tyres; my bet is you'll find them cracked & you can't repair them... :eek:

david_yorkshire said:
Nick - dont spoil the love for these wheels :)

I nearly went this route with my other GT3

They are pretty but to bin £6k of wheels after such a short life doesn't sit well with me. My OZ Alleggerita's that are ~5 years old have also cracked on every spoke, but they've had slicks on for the last 3 years & are only £1.5k but it still hurt a bit to bin them...

Attachments

• oz_cracks_1_170.jpg
    oz_cracks_1_170.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 9,051
  • oz_cracks_2_184.jpg
    oz_cracks_2_184.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 9,051
NXI20 said:
Stuart Mackay said:
Senoj said:
Stuart Mackay said:

Check them carefully for cracks where the spokes meet the rims after you've done the second set of tyres; my bet is you'll find them cracked & you can't repair them... :eek:

The Manthey ones are Forged so should be a lot stronger than the oz allegeritta

Senoj said:
The Manthey ones are Forged so should be a lot stronger than the oz allegeritta

Unfortunately, it's the magnesium they're made from that's the problem, not how they're made. Matt has a set in the stores at Fearnsport that couldn't be used again due to cracks after 2 sets of tyres.

The 993GT2 Speedlines (magnesium centres) suffer from cracking too, but as the spokes are substantially thicker they can usually be repaired if the damage isn't allowed to get too bad.

Well they still look nice as ornaments :floor:
Am planning to use them on track high days and holidays and not as a general road wheel.
Plus will get them xrayed before the tyres go on.

just for reference, OZ Ultraleggera HLT weights as per belowfor 19 inch
Wheel Weights:
8.5J = 9.9Kg
10J = 10.85Kg
11J = 11.91Kg
12J = 12.50Kg

Very, very nice Stuart and very, very tempting. I may be persuaded to get a set myself. I currently have two sets of OEM GT3 wheels so could lose a set of those and replace them with the BBS E88s.

Anyone know how much a set of OEM 996 GT3 wheels would go for (obviously without the tyres)?

Pip :?:
Ps it is just wrong posting up with the wheels in boxes and not a picture with them fitted.......... :hand:

Pip1968 said:
Anyone know how much a set of OEM 996 GT3 wheels would go for (obviously without the tyres)?

Hi, depending on price I would be very interested.

:thumb:

Daniel said:
Pip1968 said:

Hi, depending on price I would be very interested.

:thumb:

I will let you know although it is unlikely to be until spring/summer next year at the earliest as I have other :roll: things to sort on the car first. I am guessing they must be something around the £2,000 mark though :?:

Pip

Pip1968 said:
I am guessing they must be something around the £2,000 mark though :?:

Guess again - they rarely go for more than £1500 in perfect condition. I got £1100 for mine a few years ago.

Well...I think they look really good, no that's wrong !...."top banana wheels"
comes to mind !.

Ps, gentle nudge...see you next week ! 8)

I was considering stumping up my hard earned cash for these until i did more research on the cracks issue.

I've gone a bit cold turkey on these! Can't justify purchasing a set if they crack this easily. The roads where i live are not particularly smooth either.

Are these isolated incidents, does anyone have firsthand experience?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back