Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice Needed: GTR 2017 vs 911 Turbo S 2017

jasonkkl

Hi All.

Really need some advice or maybe just some reassurance. So I put down an order on a new GTR in August but recently I have had second thoughts. Having seen a 911on the streets I thought I would check it out online and was quite impressed with the reviews, so much so I decided to book a test drive next week.
I really don't know what to do.

Finance wise if I was to get the gtr it would be in cash which is a plus and on finance at 6%apr with a £70k deposit for the 911. With the depreciation and the interest on the loan I would be taking a bigger hit if I were to choose the 911.

Image wise: I know the 911 is more prestigious but it is double the cost of a gtr but gtrs do have the bad boy racer image.

Iam looking to keep what ever car I choose stock, for around 3 years then sell. It will l be my daily and Won't be tracking it.

Delivery dates: Jan for gtr and April for 911 I am quite impatient and as you can guess change my mind often.

Any advice/reassurance would be much appreciated.

This is 911uk. What do you expect us to say. :?:

:welcome:

I know what I'd do and it would be a 911 turbo but not a new one. Simply because I don't do finance I'm also not keen on buying brand new. Don't get me wrong I've had new cars but alway regret taking a big hit. Each to there own though.

As t8 says all bar one on here will say 911 (johnnydangerous) but to be fair he has experience of both so likely the most qualified on here to help. I say drive both back to back and weigh it all up. I'm sure then you'll have an easier time deciding. A nice problem to have Jason. And :welcome:

Have you tried a 997 turbo? You may be able to get one for cash at 70K with a 2 year warranty from Porsche.

apollokre1d said:
Have you tried a 997 turbo? You may be able to get one for cash at 70K with a 2 year warranty from Porsche.

And make sure it's PDK ffs.... :floor:

Definitely get the GTR. Said no one here ever. :?: :?:

911 every day over the GTR. It's just oozes class by comparison and all the youtube vids and reports I have seen praise the 911 over the GTR.

I would have a Turbo S if I won the lottery otherwise I would buy a new C4S if I could. Amazing car to drive, try it. The wait will be worth it.

If you can't wait get a 12 month old 911 Turbo. IMO ;)

If you can afford, has to be the Turbo!

sideways said:
Definitely get the GTR. Said no one here ever. :?: :?:

or anyone over the age of 19 :lol:

GT4 said:
Put the miles on a GTR

Are they still 6000 between services?

When ever I've been on a Sunday drive out and a GTR has joined us they just can't help themselves driving like a ***** I'm not sure what it is with those cars.

I was in a 50 zone on the M1 Monday night when I was behind this GTR who would keep slowing down to 40MPH to accelerate up to 60MPH just so he could hear the sound of his terrible sounding, ear bleeding, trombone exhaust. I decided to film him in the end just in case I ran up his arse as he kept braking hard to get his speed down for the acceleration to 60 again.

This is typical GTR driving from my experience. DO NOT turn up your speakers. Poor quality video but you get the idea.

I think this is what they call a 'no brainer' although I do think it's a bit odd your asking this on a forum full of Porsche enthusiasts as you will obviously get biased answers from most at least.

With that said..

If depreciation/purchase cost is not an issue (from your post I gather it is though?) then 991.2 Turbo S no question.

If depreciation/cost/value retention is a consideration like it is to the majority of us go for a 997.2 Turbo S or a 991.1 Turbo S.

I have not driven the brand new version but own a 997.2 S and have tried a 991.1 S a few times out of the two I would take the 997.2 any day of the week. That bit more raw, far better looking, more classic Porsche 911 proportions, no difference in performance real world/b road wise which is where I do my driving. Of course if you just want a newer car and that is important to you and don't mint some premium go for a 991.1 S. A 2013 car for e.g. won't be bad value at all.

GTR IMO is an awful car. That's based mostly on it's appearance which I can not stomach. I don't care how fast it is as very little of the performance is usable anyway, so the aesthetics play a huge part. It looks bloated and over styled, it's too wide and too big. Has none of the elegance, beauty and effortless cool of a 911, 997 shape in particular. The interior is rubbish as well. Very questionable image.

Again, all IMHO.

I think the turbo is the best real world car Porsche makes. Forget the GT3/RS? unless you are one of the priveleged few who can buy one at list. It is a car that whilst a trifle dear, literally no matter who you are or which magazines you haven't featured in, Porsche will make you one. You don't have to have bought three previous GT3s and a Cayenne for the Mrs to be put in their lottery for a build slot. There really is nothing to touch a turbo or turbo S. Ok, I've only driven the old air cooled crates, but a 991 turbo looks superb and feels incredibly special to sit in (most dealers have one somewhere on their lot that you can try). They review quite well too. Watch the video of an S being lapped around the Anglesey circuit to see how quick they are in the right hands. Biased, me? Yes! This is 911UK!

jasonkkl said:
........ Finance wise if I was to get the gtr it would be in cash which is a plus and on finance at 6%apr with a £70k deposit for the 911. With the depreciation and the interest on the loan I would be taking a bigger hit if I were to choose the 911.

Image wise: I know the 911 is more prestigious but it is double the cost of a gtr but gtrs do have the bad boy racer image...........

.......... Any advice/reassurance would be much appreciated.

I think the fact that many on here would rather pay £75k+ for a 3-5 year old 997 Turbo rather than a new GTR should tell you something. :grin:

When you've had your test drive you'll know the answer yourself. :)

Seriously ......... Do you need a new car :?: There's lots of really good, low mileage 911 Turbos around for the same money as the Datsun.

If you are dead-set on a new car ..... why not save c£20k and go for a 991 Turbo rather than the 'S'.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back