Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bang after 102 days

OP, what a nightmare. You have my every sympathy.

I hope the outcome is satisfactory.

As an aside, the 6 months thing has always puzzled me. What's the point of a 3 month warranty (which more often than not is more exclusions than cover)?
I once asked a dealer this as he proudly explained the terms of the complimentary warranty and invited me to upgrade to 6 months. He just looked at me blankly!

Can i ask, and i'll admit i haven't read the 4 pages, is this the result of IMS bearing or something else?

The IMS looks perfect (except the externally applied crush damage to the shaft)

Cause would appear to be a rebuild error (which includes simply rebuilding with an imbalance between new and old parts/inappropriate reuse of old parts, as well as assembly error)

By the look of it, a piston or con rod has disconnected (through disassembly or fissure)

Video of right side showing cylinders 4,5 and 6.

https://youtu.be/kIKkALoqrsQ

Engine requires full bottom end. This will be at my cost. Who would have these parts or can rebuild it with supply of parts? At what cost? Who may have full engines? Thanks, Phil. :sad:

GT4 said:
....The IMS looks perfect (except the externally applied crush damage to the shaft)....

Keep the IMS and replace the engine. Someone has to be the first to do this!

...just trying to lighten the mood...

GT4 said:
The IMS looks perfect (except the externally applied crush damage to the shaft)

Cause would appear to be a rebuild error (which includes simply rebuilding with an imbalance between new and old parts/inappropriate reuse of old parts, as well as assembly error)

By the look of it, a piston or con rod has disconnected (through disassembly or fissure)

Cheers GT4, reading the four or more engine failures in the last week i'm getting a little twitchy especially as my 996 c4s has done 110k+ miles. The IMS issue has never really worried me before especially as my Indie says its a limited to a small percentage and made worse by forum horror stories etc etc....but you can't help but wonder. I dont fancy an £8k rebuild and now thinking i might follow go down the IMS Solution route.

Seeing the pics, hearing so many stories this week of IMS & Bore Score problems is a bit of a stark reality these things are potentially a ticking timebomb or game of russian roulette.

OP - sorry for your loss mate

Avon said:
GT4 said:
....The IMS looks perfect (except the externally applied crush damage to the shaft)....

Keep the IMS and replace the engine. Someone has to be the first to do this!

...just trying to lighten the mood...

:what:

scarletboarder said:
Looking at the consumer rights summary despite the vehicle being sold with a 3 month warranty I'm assuming I have some recourse referencing this part;

"During the expected lifespan of your product you're entitled to the following:UP TO 6 MONTHS - If it can't be repaired or replaced, then you're entitled to a full refund in most cases."

I did not pay any part of the vehicle cost on a credit card. The repairer have already taken the engine out which they did not ask me about before actioning!!

Dealer owner has not rang me back yet despite leaving messages with other staff there.

My understanding is exactly what is quoted. Keep calling and go there if needed. Dont forget to mention that you're seeking legal advice.

The key surely is in "expected lifespan of your product"... taking into account age, make and mileage of a 12+ yr old performance car. No doubt this could be exploited by the defence lawyer.

No doubt the engine builder is being a bit cagey because it will be up to the dealer to prove the fault was not there at the point of sale. If it was, then obviously liability will then pass to the engineers.

The wider question for the lawyers in the room... given the faults with the M96/97 engines are well documented to exist at the point of sale, do owners have any recourse to Porsche GB under CGA?

I remember when this happened to my Alpina and ended up with the largest repair bill BMW have ever had over £34k and went down to just a catastrophic failure, not that this helps you, I have also a pall who like you only had the car short period and ended up with a £14k engine rebuild from Hartech, this would be any owners nightmare

in fairness to the £14k Hartech rebuild it has transformed the way the car drives

don't know any words that can help but we all feel for you

Robertb said:
The key surely is in "expected lifespan of your product"... taking into account age, make and mileage of a 12+ yr old performance car. No doubt this could be exploited by the defence lawyer.

No doubt the engine builder is being a bit cagey because it will be up to the dealer to prove the fault was not there at the point of sale. If it was, then obviously liability will then pass to the engineers.

The wider question for the lawyers in the room... given the faults with the M96/97 engines are well documented to exist at the point of sale, do owners have any recourse to Porsche GB under CGA?

I suspect there may be problem with a CGA against Porsche in that we are not the first owners and didn't buy the cars from them. Also, the cars are now old and Porsche may argue they have reached their normal end of life.

Great idea though and any help from Porsche would be very welcome.

I'm in Stuttgart at the factory next Tuesday so will be taking along images etc just to see what they think.
Popping to the dealers with images in the morning. Not expecting a hearty welcome.

scarletboarder said:
Popping to the dealers with images in the morning. Not expecting a hearty welcome.

I still think you should be looking at some legal advice regarding their responsibility.

It would be very good if they restarted their offer of discounted replacement engines, that shouldn't cost them too much as I'm sure they make a healthy profit on them.

Of course they may not find it easy to produce volumes of 3.4/3.6 engines now but 997 spec short motors at a sensible price would be very welcome!

scarletboarder said:
Video of right side showing cylinders 4,5 and 6.

https://youtu.be/kIKkALoqrsQ

Engine requires full bottom end. This will be at my cost. Who would have these parts or can rebuild it with supply of parts? At what cost? Who may have full engines? Thanks, Phil. :sad:

Looks like the (steel) liners didn't slip then and I can only think the circlips haven't gone in correctly for the gudgeon pins as the pin seems to have slipped to the right causing trauma to the next bore (on the right) and then the rod has broken free, it is such a fiddly job to get right (I was terrified the first time I did one) as you assemble them from a 1 inch hole feeding them in blind from outside the end of the engine casing.

Why at your cost??

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back