Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne Air or Regualr PASM

Cheib

The only common consensus when it comes to the Cayenne is that it must have PASM and then it seems a lot of people say you must have the Air Suspension to which I 100% understand if you are towing etc. "My" OPC reckons that the car drives better with regular PASM describing it as more "floaty" on the air than regular PASM. The sales guy said one customer who ordered air on the recommendation of a friend and drove a regular PASM car a few months later instantly regretted it.

Clearly the OPC's job is to get me to spend as much money as possible! I've driven a regular PASM car on 21's and thought it was fine...OPC reckons optimum set up is regular PASM and 20's. I found for my personal preference in Comfort setting there was too much side to side movement/body rock in the car on country lanes. I'd be sticking to Sport for that kind of driving. Low speed in town and motorways for comfort I think.

Be very interested in what others think.

Oh we're talking lateish model cars if that makes a difference.

Hi,

It depends how much off-roading you do, for normal road driving and some off-road you will never need air-suspension, it doesn't improve the handling. If you're doing some serious off-roading get it.

I have a 4.2S Diesel (2015) and before that a V6 (2012). I do a bit of off-roading, I live up and un-made road on the side of a hill, I go skiing and other country pursuits across fields and rutted tracks and the normal PASM on springs is great. I nearly always drive mine on Sport Plus setting on road, I only use comfort for off-road. 19's are good for off-road and for general use 19's or 20's. I don't like the drive with either on 21's.

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks Gents...sorry been away for a couple of days and not had access to the forum.

How about if a car is very heavily laden...i.e. four up, boot brim full and big roof box on top. Standard PASM okay then or is air helpful then ?

I insisted on Air which as you know comes with PASM. Trying PASM in the three settings I couldn't really tell the difference between 'Normal' and 'Comfort', on 'Sport' it drove like a (tall) sports car but on any road surface other than smooth (ie A road/Motorway) the ride would be very choppy as if it was skipping down the road.

I liked Air for the simple reason I could run the car slightly lower than normal height as it looked better when the tyre-wheel arch gap was smaller :roll:

Come resale it wont make much difference whether you've got Air or not but if you dont have a panoramic roof that will kill off a lot of interest. I opened mine once and found too much buffeting.

If you get Air you'll probably think you could manage without if you're not towing etc. If you dont have it you'll think you want it. You'll defo want it on 21" rims :what:

The overactive 8spd tiptronic (except when you actually wanted kickdown and the lag was terrible - except in 'Sport') finally killed off my interest. I was convinced it was my car but OPC resetting/reflashing software made no difference :what:

Found a car....paid the deposit and picking it up in ten days. I was going to buy a Diesel S but the car will do relatively low mileage and mid-week I will only be using it for station runs. So in a highly controversial move we're getting a Cayenne S E-Hybrid! Car takes an hour to charge which gives it 15 miles of electric only range (Porsche claim up to 23 miles)....that's enough for me to do the station and back every day. When in "full attack" mode it's got 414bhp so not a slouch.

Unusual colour combo being Moonlight Blue with Black and Cream leather....I've had black (or very dark grey in my 997 GTS) interiors on every car I have owned in 20 years so quite a change. Will need looking after! It's an ex-demo car with £30k of optional extras on it (was the Head of Sales car).

To go back to the title of the thread it's got air and 21's....to be honest having driven a car on both I do think the car is a slightly better drive on the regular PASM...but the versatility of air will be very useful. Especially when we take the car skiing....being able to lower the car to get the car in underground garages is a massive plus! Having to unload a roof box into the car...take the roof box off....carry roof box into underground parking complex and then empty the car again is no fun after a 12 hour drive!

interesting thoughts;
I've had 2 KN's both with air, and never driven a non air variant.
We're looking to replace the mrs' car next year with a KN.
Up to now I've been firmly in the 'it has to have air' camp - your views will now enable me to have a wider search criteria :) Really must have a back to back drive in them.
Interestingly, I was told by an OPC not to go for panoramic roof - they have a habit of rattling ? (maybe they just new how OCD I am about in car rattles and getting them to fix under warranty !).

Ideally looking for a couple of year old turbo / s; was looking at a newish Diesel S, but we realised that the overall yearly mileage isnt that great; plus the Mrs' loves fast cars :)

The roofs do indeed rattle / creak a bit , ive even had to replace a mechanism for the roof as it jammed ..

Another strange fact .. the seals around the roof are a favourite of seagulls to chew .. nest building or eating .. either way i dont know but ive replaced 3 roof seals for this type of damage .

I would always go with air susp. its just a better ride imho .

Pdcc as well if not standard .

Interesting on the panoramic roof rattling.

Ours is a 2014 Diesel Platinum Edition and there is occasionally a noise from that area, but more recently there is an annoying one which seems to be coming from the front passenger door area, possibly around the internal door release. Guess it may have to go in to be looked at.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back