Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bang after 102 days

You will not be surprised that I would like to add a comment.

Firstly I take no pleasure in reading about problems this owner and others have had with the faults they encounter and the unsatisfactory rebuilds elsewhere and I feel a lot of sympathy for the owner, the damage to the marque I love and the affect it has on model values.

What this reveals however is that our posts that warn against the variety of different solutions using ferrous liners that are often short lived and can result in further rebuilds are at least based on experience and not scare mongerring.

Two rebuilds with ferrous liners have (it seems) still not managed to fix the looming problem of bank 1 bores, still not resulted in a reliable engine and involved two different versions/designs of iron liner businesses and further liner sub-contractors (that always makes it difficult to get satisfactory support when things go wrong).

It may very well be that the fault this second time was not related to the liners but it reinforces the need for at least considering the benefits of having a proper rebuild done by the leading experts even if it may cost a little more in the short term.

Our price for 3 liners in one bank is only £1400 +Vat but reduces to £2,500 + Vat for all 6 (effectively just a little more expensive than this second rebuild charged) and provides a best solution with the longest lasting bores that run with any piston coating and provide the best cooling and stable expansion and contraction characteristics that suit this engine type and with the crankcase converted to a closed deck design - later proven reliable by the Gt3 and turbo variants and the Gen 2 engines.

Furthermore because all our work is carried out "IN-HOUSE" - if ever there was a subsequent problem (even if it was or was not caused by us) at least all the negotiating would be with just one supplier - with no opportunity for us to blame others - and we would do our best (as always) to help the owner and keep everyone happy.

Fortunately our reliability record is superb and the fact that we have several dedicated people and facilities doing nothing else but engine repairs and rebuilds daily - enables us to take a more supportive view of any subsequent problems as we are set-up to handle them effectively and quickly.

We have gone to great lengths to explain why we think it is best to adopt the solution we uniquely offer in our new engine guide (we hope to finish and make available soon) but until then we have found many reasons why the replacement with ferrous liners is often less reliable long term than with Nikasil alloy liners and I am sure that if we had had the opportunity to rebuild this engine originally it would still be running perfectly Ok.

Baz

Nightmare! Second one on here this week too :sad:

The waters are rather muddy though re the build- it will be difficult to prove it was anything to do or not with the rebuild that caused the failure. If it was an IMS or timing chain failure which the previous owner decided to not get done then the builder has no liability IMO.

Either way I hope it get sorted in some favourable way for you.

Hi Scarlet - really feel for you m8; keep us all informed of your progress.

Osh

The rebuild should be paid for by the dealer, no question at all.

Any faults in the first 6 months are assumed to have been present at the time of sale, unless proven otherwise (as Nigel said earlier).

Be thankful it didn't happen 81 days later......

Lots of interesting info in the comments, thanks.
The dealer who sold it to me on 05/08/16 was the one who had the rebuild done. The son then used the car for the time in between. The car is back with the garage that did the rebuild and I await their report. I haven't contacted the dealer yet. Phil.

scarletboarder said:
The son then used the car for the time in between. Phil.

So it was clearly run in carefully!!!

Man you must feel sick

I have decided not to drive my car for the rest of the week. Disturbing pattern of engine failures!

just curious who was the dealer that sold you the car...

Really sorry to read this, no doubt you bought the car having already had a rebuild so that you had some piece of mind.

Hope you get it fixed very soon.

Horrible situation :nooo:

On the plus side you'll get plenty of advice and support on here :friends:

One thing you might want to familiarise yourself intimately is your rights. But also the best way to get the outcome you want. They are more robust than you may realise? (Apologies if you already know what they are!):

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/a...e-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34410782

One thing I'd be cautious about from what you've said is that you haven't informed the dealer. Please be careful you don't engage the repairer / contract with them at this stage. Tempting as it may be, it isn't you and them vs the dealer. The contract you had is with the dealer. You really ought to give them the opportunity to rectify the fault / situation.

In fact (if I have understood the thread correctly?) by returning it to the original repairer you are entering potentially difficult territory as it could be argued they have a vested interest in where any fault lies, since they had a pre-existing contract with the dealer. This could see things get messy. It may not but I'd just be careful IMHO.

At the end of the day though you have your rights, no matter how 'firm' retailers get. In these things its always best to keep things simple and clear. You can also simply launch a small claims action against the trader these days:
https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

I've done it myself and it is very easy. And like I said at the start, plenty of help on here.

But I'd recommend you think about how you broach it with the retailer / dealer. In short its their mess so I'd make sure they clean it up.

Good luck mate - feel for you big time :thumbs:

(Please note - the above is my opinion and nothing else. It should not be construed as legal advice! Other approaches and views are of course available :thumb: )

Im a little surprised that i didnt see any mention of the IMS bearing being replaced , Perhaps Hartech could advise wouldn,t that normally be replaced as a matter of cource ?

From the description it does sound like thats the component that has failed .

4k miles and less than a year .. if i had rebuilt that engine and herd this news i would be a pretty worried puppy right about now .

Sorry to hear this I went through somthing similar all be it bores in my case. As others have mentioned you are in the time period where the dealer should be looking after you .

If you paid any part of the bill with a credit card than you can approach the credit card company as there is responsibility on there part as well

Hope it gets resolved

Looking at the consumer rights summary despite the vehicle being sold with a 3 month warranty I'm assuming I have some recourse referencing this part;

"During the expected lifespan of your product you're entitled to the following:UP TO 6 MONTHS - If it can't be repaired or replaced, then you're entitled to a full refund in most cases."

I did not pay any part of the vehicle cost on a credit card. The repairer have already taken the engine out which they did not ask me about before actioning!!

Dealer owner has not rang me back yet despite leaving messages with other staff there.

The engine is massively damaged, see video and photos. The garage haven't said exactly what happened and seemed unsure or non-committal.
https://youtu.be/KUp_v-Obpcg

A1F2B0C5-F6F5-46A9-A731-3DEA52179814_zpsx8w9kusn.jpg

B4B22614-CC31-45AF-A459-99DC0674052A_zpskxesphhf.jpg

98FFBC11-4B49-4BD8-8877-ACAE961CE446_zpsdzgf6y7d.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back