Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bang after 102 days

Nothing to add apart from ouch and sorry to read of yet another failure.

Good luck getting it sorted.

feeling your pain mate but just think of how much better the new engine will be!

Sorry to hear this mate. Your engine going pop is never something that you want to hear. All anybody can say at this point is good luck and prepare for the wallet to be absolutely shafted. This is pretty much what happened to me but mine didn't detonate itself, it merely cracked a head.

What you need to do is decide if you want to put another 7 to 12k into it or if you want to cut your losses and run. :sad:

Sorry to hear this. The strip will show what else is needed. You might consider a comprehensive repair with new liners (to prevent bore scoring in the future) with new pistons, new timing chains/tensioners, new clutch (if its a manual) or torque converter seal if its an auto.

Before all that, the decision is do you sink £10k-£11k into the car knowing you will not recover that but will keep it forever and enjoy it?

Let us know what they find when they strip the engine.

Can a 3.4 be fitted into a 996.2? They seem much more reliable.

TBF, a rebuilt engine, done by a reputable builder, will likely be just as durable as anything.

OP, I feel your pain - I had an extensive gearbox rebuild on mine just 12 months ago - and can only echo what a few others have said; if you want to keep it, you have the chance to build something that's better than anything you could buy.

The only real choice is a full and comprehensive rebuild or sell it as-is for the buyer to sink his money into it. But if your dealer has started dismantling, the journey has begun on the road to a full rebuild because you'd have him put it back together to sell it as-is with broken engine.

Bad luck.

Get it rebuilt properly, don't scrimp or try and cut corners.

Hopefully 102 days was long enough for you to realise that you have one of the best drivers cars in the world.

Good luck.

Thanks for the comments. I bought the car from a dealer. The engine was rebuilt on 24/11/15, details below. It has done approximately 4000 miles since with about 2k during my ownership. I've run it on 2 500+ mile trips and had an oil service on it as soon as I took ownership back at the rebuild garage for them to check everything was ok.
At the time I was accelerating up past 60 miles an hour at about 4500 rpm. Oil seemed to be coming from the left side of the engine underneath. No strange noises or issues prior to this.
0619b04d-4e31-47fe-b60b-d839f61467d2_zpsosyfozlt.jpg

06CE93D4-63B5-433B-8359-A890DB27A553_zpscwnrgj2a.jpg

Thanks, Phil W

Looks like you may have some recourse to the dealer and/or rebuilder. Depends on what went wrong but it really shouldn't fail so soon after a rebuild.

The invoice does mention keeping the revolutions down for the first 2,000 miles although you were just over. I would say dealer may feel obliged to chip in ...goodwill?

Pip

It's under a year since the rebuild...and 4K mileage.
Would have expected it to last longer than that :eek: ?

Sorry to hear,

The repair bill from the last rebuild is an interesting read and your best course of action immediately will be for the place that rebuilt the engine to have a look at it.

The works they did only seem to be concerned with replacing liners on bank 2 but the whole engine was re-ringed? Would be asking what ring set was used as this engine seems to be using original Pistons and ring set in a variety of cylinder liner materials (perhaps that is ok?). No mention that the timing chains were replaced or any work to fit a new ims bearing while the engine was in bits so seems like a false economy not to have changed those at the same time.

There's no such thing an easy quick rebuild with these engines, too much time and effort involved to get it removed, stripped, assessed, fixed and re installed. It's a shame Porsche ran out of the replacement short block units at 4K as they were a good deal, albeit with the same potential failure issues.

Keep us updated

Having owned the car for less than 4 months I would be banging on the dealers door discussing the consumer rights act.

"Between 30 days and 6 months
If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months have passed then you are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. It is assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise. During this period, unless you have agreed otherwise, the seller (dealer) has only one opportunity to repair (or replace) the faulty vehicle after which, if they fail to repair it, you are entitled to a refund."

Harv said:
No mention that the timing chains were replaced or any work to fit a new ims bearing while the engine was in bits so seems like a false economy not to have changed those at the same time.

Ditto on that. Seems a no brainer that with the motor in bits, a new standard sealless ims bearing should have been installed or ideally the modified Hartech spindle and bearing.

Unless the original rebuilder is prepared to discount heavily on a new rebuild, I would be inclined to take the engine to one of the better known rebuilders of the m96 engine such as Hartech.
fwiw
Rick

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back