Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Back in a 993 - Goodbye Viola 4S. Hello Riviera RS.

Kimbo said:
...I imagine there are a lot of disappointed souls out there when they go to test their M3 and they can't hear the exhaust...

Funnily enough there's a guy near me with an M4. He started it the other day at 6am outside my house. I thought someone had started a knackered Transit van, it sounded utterly awful. I went to the window and could not believe it was a brand new M4! Shocking.

My point was that even if it sounded good, he probably wouldn't be able to hear it much of it inside the cabin.

What's the point, if the driver can't hear the exhaust he's paid so much money for? Those Maseratis sound great outside but you can't hear much inside.

Now if you've got a Cayman (ahem) with the manifolds not far from your head, with acoustic soundproofing, the right switchable exhaust, tuneable exhaust baffles and a lot of experimenting, you can get that Playstation sound inside the car that has no drone and doesn't hurt your ears.

That's a great model, worth taking time to find the right one.

Now for a few silly photos, next to the real thing when you get the chance. :)

The RS noise is nice and lets you know of it;s intent. In a CS it is a different story, no soundproofing at all and steel syncro's play their own tune.

It does the "chainsaw cutting open a wasps nest" trick when the varioram comes in, fun while it lasts as after a couple of hours behind the wheel the noise takes it's toll!

Kimbo said:
My point was that even if it sounded good, he probably wouldn't be able to hear it much of it inside the cabin.

What's the point, if the driver can't hear the exhaust he's paid so much money for? Those Maseratis sound great outside but you can't hear much inside.

Now if you've got a Cayman (ahem) with the manifolds not far from your head, with acoustic soundproofing, the right switchable exhaust, tuneable exhaust baffles and a lot of experimenting, you can get that Playstation sound inside the car that has no drone and doesn't hurt your ears.
M

Wise words Kimbo :thumbs:

The flat six howl from a Cayman or Boxster is a thing of joy.

A 993 RS must sound beautiful.

Old-school turbos can also sound pretty good too: My 993 for one. Also listen to any Group B weaponry at full chat and it is pretty special, punctuated with pops and cracks from the waste gates.

tim993 said:
The flat six howl from a Cayman or Boxster is a thing of joy.

My old 986 Boxster with a £90 exhaust bypass (Hollamby mod) was absolute aural perfection on a still day, smooth road, with the roof down, wind deflector up, windows up. That configuration isolated the sound of the exhaust perfectly and you got the full howl with no extraneous noise, unless I had a Rick Astley CD on.

I never really got that pure exhaust sound (inside the cabin) in a standard 993, and I tried many exhaust configurations, maybe there was too much soundproofing.

For those of you keen on the sound inside the car.

Here is a recent clip of PCGB 993 RS register secretary driving his 993RSR at Portimao.

Note, an RSR does not have Varioram, but runs on throttle bodies.

You can hear the transmission and diff working through the turns, something you can't pick up so easily on a road C2.

Exciting but as I say tiring after a while (wimp!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zczU_9Wvj5o&app=desktop

Lovely, perfection.

What I've been striving for is to create that 'pure sound' of exhaust, engine, gearbox, but at a level that won't tire you out after a short space of time.

i.e: just like that but with the overall volume turned down to about 6 rather than 11.

The you can drive it all day.

wpozzz99zSS said:
That's a great model, worth taking time to find the right one. Now for a few silly photos, next to the real thing when you get the chance. :)
At somepoint lol :wink:

wpozzz99zSS said:
The RS noise is nice and lets you know of it;s intent. In a CS it is a different story, no soundproofing at all and steel syncro's play their own tune. It does the "chainsaw cutting open a wasps nest" trick when the varioram comes in, fun while it lasts as after a couple of hours behind the wheel the noise takes it's toll!
I bet it has a certain ring to it (not just in your ears lol), I can imagine it being quite intense. Mine with just a token smattering of unbacked light carpet, headlining and the odd bit of insulating pads in the front footwells takes the edge off just bare metal, but the mechanical menace behind still makes it's presence well known. Hope to see yours at somepoint. Good video btw, is that Paul Howells? :thumb:

Yes PH driving his RSR.

I had an M002 previously and have driven a lot of different examples, great cars, I used it as a daily driver and track day car for 3 years.

Now I use the RS as a weekend toy the M003 suits my needs, it has that sense of occasion.
Among the best Porsche made in my opinion and the newer "special" cars seem to be going away from what I want in a lightweight 911.
On that basis there will always be strong demand for as long as we are allowed to drive petrol cars.

First run of the year this weekend to blow the cobwebs off the ol' girl. Forgotten just how visceral and focused the drive is, ran superbly especially in the cool evening air, a bit 'tappety tappety' at first but subsided when fully warmed. :D

Fitted the Intake Trumpet (993.110.360.51 Ansaugtrichter) from a turbo, to a previously bought spare airbox lid (internal duct is removed in the process too) and was very pleased with the increased induction noise, subtle but distinctive, especially on high rev lift offs into the bends 8)

edit to re add pics due to photophucket

Attachments

• airbox_snorkel_2_zpscyn75kx0_205.jpg
    airbox_snorkel_2_zpscyn75kx0_205.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 3,801
  • airbox_snorkel_zpsva3tir0k_164.jpg
    airbox_snorkel_zpsva3tir0k_164.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 3,801
Couldn't resist, ended up getting the GT Spirit diecast :oops: Detail is great but could be better on the speedline's and headlights, but overall pleased :thumbs: Hope you don't mind a couple of photo's..

edit to re add pics

Attachments

• img_0708_zpskhcgehhb_812.jpg
    img_0708_zpskhcgehhb_812.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 3,800
  • img_0707_zpsziwbsjz4_1_405.jpg
    img_0707_zpsziwbsjz4_1_405.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 3,789
Car is looking good NottsRS :thumbs: I am a sucker for those scale models too; I have a few 993 including the Rauh Welt extra-wide bodied coupe.

~ Maxie

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back