Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 987.1 S journey from pre-purchase to making her mine

What's the general ruling on grills for the rad ducts? Are they worthwhile? Any drawbacks?

Also with the switchable PSE, is there always a button down where Sport / PASM / PSM is?

The return of Marty Wild said:
What's the general ruling on grills for the rad ducts? Are they worthwhile? Any drawbacks?

Also with the switchable PSE, is there always a button down where Sport / PASM / PSM is?

As owner of a Cayman S 987.1 I haven't seen any issue so far, mine has 35K miles . As per price the one you are looking at could be overpriced if compared to others on sale, but few months ago prices were way higher! On the other hand it has 64K miles and no "toys", no sport seats, no sport chrono, no sport exhaust neither PASM! So it is overpriced!

Mine has everything and at the moment is pulling 335 BHP so more than a Gen 2..but for the price of a Gen 1! I may be selling it....

Thanks TheItalian,

I knew that was massively overpriced but it was reasonably close and I knew I had no plans of buying it.

I am leaning towards some Zunsport grills, good little first project I figure and I wan't to minimise risks where possible.

How is yours running 335bhp? 911 plenum, TB etc?!

The return of Marty Wild said:
Thanks TheItalian,

I knew that was massively overpriced but it was reasonably close and I knew I had no plans of buying it.

How is yours running 335bhp? 911 plenum, TB etc?!

well is overpriced if compared to others on sale, but at the same time the price is right if we consider that the others should be higher. Hope this makes sense. Now is not the time to sell let's say....but is a good time to buy!

Yes usual mods, just got the underdrive pulley recently will dyno the car tomorrow to see if there is any increase!

Glad to hear it's a good time to be buying!

Let us know how you get on with the dyno.

I am ecstatic to announce I picked up my first Porsche on Sunday, had been in Helmsley for a Christening the day before. The roads up there were outstanding, but it was obviously the wrong time of year as they were inches deep in crap and anything but dry. But having skilfully managed the drinking at the celebrations that night I was good to go that Morning to Lincoln.

I had taken a half day to wash my previous car (mkIV R32) with a view of it looking its best for the purposes of PX. I needn't have bothered, by the time I had navigated the roads from York to Helmsley there was precious little paintwork even showing.

I made it to Lincoln to meet someone that needs no introduction, Tom from 911 Virgin. He had seen this thread and contacted me with a car he had that I might be interested in. They guy was an absolute gentleman from start to finish, accommodating beyond measure and very helpful. It actually felt like I was getting support into the fold, not just being sold a car.

As for the car, I picked up a '07 Cayman S in white with almost 54k on the clock. It had all the 'drivers' toys I had originally wanted, but presumed, I wouldn't be able to have if I wanted the car anytime soon. When compared to the car I saw in Harlow (link above) it was the deal of the century. Strangely, Lakeside cars still appear to have that particular motor! Haha

Initial impressions when compared to a mkIV R32, it just feels so much more solid and better put together. The throttle, even with Sport mode enabled isn't as sensitive, the brakes and clutch though, require more of a push obviously. Was surprised by how much difference the PASM button made, even if the other half wasn't impressed with my direction changing tests on the A1(M) as we cruised home. Visibility in the rear view and wing mirrors is next level compared to the R, that was really apparent. Even my good woman picked up on that, she said 'are your wing mirrors set up ok, I can never normally see the cars behind us?", guess not having a high back end creates a much bigger field of vision.

Managed an indicated 28mpg on a sensible cruise to pick her up in the R32, got 27mpg on the final leg in the Cayman.

Now I am totalling itching to use her again, living in Cambridge it's quicker to cycle and not put start/stop miles on her. So don't drive daily. Not even seen her in the daylight since I picked her up. Will keep her as god intended bar a full LED conversion inside and out, had some spare LEDs sitting at home from the R32 that fitted the numberplate. Can't wait to find out more about this car, the initial impressions were just amazing!

Will make a separate thread for the full LED conversion for anyone that might be interested.

Forgive the poor quality of my first ever pic of her, lighting was bad.

Attachments

• porkie_357.jpg
    porkie_357.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 8,193
Did the numberplate LEDs as had a set sitting there. Left is the IMO hideous standard yellow light.

Attachments

• number_plate_comp_114.jpg
    number_plate_comp_114.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 8,180
  • number_plate_comp2_170.jpg
    number_plate_comp2_170.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 8,180
Very nice :thumbs:

Great write up regarding your collection adventure too. :thumb:

Thanks T8 and everyone who contributed to this thread when I was still rubbing my chin, a man seeing possibilities of a dream come true.

Car looks awesome and the wheels really suit it too. :thumb:

A bit jealous of your garage space too, mine is about 6inches wider than than my car!

Thanks Gents! When I was thinking of the purchase, figured I would end up in Silver or Grey, hadn't seen one in white. The odd red one but other than that, always black, silver or grey.

Must confess, sadly that is not my garage! Wish it was!

Have not seen it in the light since Sunday, got a 120mile trip lined up for tonight. Literally can't wait!

p.s. really don't think the air intakes are very attractive on the gen1s, when I saw this car I was instantly pleased. Being black really does make the best out of them!

That's a lovely looking car, congrats. White is one of my favourite colours. Enjoy it.

Lovely looking motor and good write up! See you on the Cambs roads!! :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back