Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

wax or ceramic coating???

I'm going to get the paint on my car 'corrected' and prepared for a ceramic sealant rather than just a waxing - there are many other coatings available from the dealers around here, but they only seem to last around a year (at least around here), even for AED 3500. It's at least a two day job, one to do the correction and the detailing, and one to apply the ceramic coating.

I'm going to go with Terry Hilton Automotive here in Dubai who is working with Feynlab on the basis that the Feynlab founders were the ones who actually invented the ceramic concept some 15 years ago (and have until now been licensing their invention to the detailing market).

^^^^ yes to all that

Ceramic coating every time over wax for durability and added protection against swirl marks. On my previous car I had it treated with Swissvax Endurance (PTFE), is this only available via approved detailers. This is a great wax and last over a year excellent for harsh winters, however Ceramic coating lasts 3- 5 years which include Hydrophobic benefits plus provides added protection against swirl makes etc. Some companies try to promote Ceramic coating as providing stone protection coating. I think that is stretching the imagination a bit far.

I am due to pick up my recently delivered 911 S4 from CleanDetail tomorrow. which has had the full Gyeon treatment inside and out plus a full body coverage of Xpel Ultimate stone chip protection film.

Nick has been working on the car in his studio for over 6 working days. I asked the Porsche dealership not to detail car before handover. have arrange CleanDetail would do a full stage 1 machine polish before applying a full body Xpel Ultimate stone chip protection film then for added durability a coating of Gyeon Mohs + which provides a 5 year warranty. Nick is also treating the alloys and the inside of the car with Gyeon Rim (alloys), Gyeon leathershield, Gyeon Fabric and Gyeon View (windscreen protection).

I hope to have some pics soon of the finished result. Here are a few pics during the process.

30267649034_ce88b51666_b.jpg

30598702970_e34d1734e0_h.jpg

30598703330_c082f4de93_h.jpg

Nick's website is at http://www.cleandetail.co.uk/

That's epic pre-drive prep! Looks awesome.

My last car, first week of driving, had a plastic body panel of some description fly off car in front on fast A road, hit my bonnet, windscreen and roof. Was not impressed, I was lucky with how little damage done considering the noise it made.

All ready to go back home after 6 days of detailing work: machine polish, then full panel coverage of Xpel ultimate film and then a top coating of Gyeon Ceramic sealant. The calipers, alloy wheels and inside leather and fabric have all had the Gyeon coating treatment.

One of the benefits of the Xpel film it make the paintwork extra glossy.

30975204156_c678214fac_k.jpg

22832424498_43625f3a4e_h.jpg

Now road legal having a front number plate applied, I chose not to go with the stranded screwed to the bumper black plastic mounting plate.

30975204646_c3143d55bc_h.jpg

Exceedingly shiny.

You need to get it dirty asap and pile some miles onto it now!!

When I bought the RS6, i went and did Wales Rally GB long weekend spectating. did well over 1,000 miles around welsh countryside and you could not see any of my paintwork or windows by the time i got home, it was absolutely plastered in mud! :D

CERAMIC!!!

Mike from EliteCarCare/Gemclean/Mulgari did my 993 a few years ago using Gteq's range of products.

A simple hose pipe was all i used to get the muck off it for the good part of 18 months. Would highly recommend using ceramic coatings. You can use them on top of paintshield as well which gives the added protection.

The photos don't really do the job justice.

http://gemcleandetailing.co.uk//showroom/?album=Album+21-Porsche+993+C2S

I find there is no point in polishing mine, as it just gets full of dirt / stone chips / mud, the car has done 20 miles from new, and is covered in stone chips :(

Attachments

• boxster123_100.jpg
    boxster123_100.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 3,065
What a great read this thread has been - particularly interesting comments from madge and mark pearce. AlpinaB3 - wow what a finish on your car there! Lovely job - and I like the stick on number plate!
I love detailing and for what it's worth I have tried almost every brand out there, for me Zaino is the best. Never tried anything ceramic though, so this was educational.

I'm a big convert to the ceramic coatings!

After using wax for years I took the plunge last year & after buying a new daily driver, I took the opportunity to do both cars with Geyon MOHS Q2.

It was a lot of effort to clean the car properly & apply the coating, but it still looks amazing after 2 years with only a couple of top ups with wet coat!

Still glossy & beads like nothing else!
I could quite easily clear a cabinet of all the products I don't use any more!

My advice is do it! You won't regret it in the slightest!

ms2015 said:
What a great read this thread has been - particularly interesting comments from madge and mark pearce. AlpinaB3 - wow what a finish on your car there! Lovely job - and I like the stick on number plate!
I love detailing and for what it's worth I have tried almost every brand out there, for me Zaino is the best. Never tried anything ceramic though, so this was educational.

On my previous car I always also used Zaino Z-2 Pro Show Car Sealant, the more layers you apply the better finish becomes. Unfortunately you can not use Zaino Z-2 sealant on PFF film. However I still use their car Z7 shampoo on the 911. Applying multiple layers of Zaino Z-2 can be tedious in its application as you need apply Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray between layers however you are rewarded with a great and durable finish that will last a year.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back