Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Me again with another question

I have had 3 x 911's and then 2 xE46 M3's and now back to a 911.

I still have my M3 which will be sold next spring but I can honestly say that you will never regret buying a 911.

Like many the 911 was a car I always wanted and I was lucky enough to get one quite early in life but like many people a family came along and the 911 had to make way for a more practical car, but the draw of a 911 was never forgotten.

Go with you gut feelings if you have always yearned for a 911 go for it you will never regret it.
The M3 will keep up on a straight road and is definitely more comfortable and quieter but get to the twisty bits and the 911 will leave the M3 in its dust because it just takes corners that much better and inspires confidence.

Just remember to have all the braking done before the corner and you can't go wrong but having said that the more modern 911's with PSM are much more user friendly and will keep you out of trouble to a certain extent but will not save you if you do something too stupid.

For me I feel like I have returned to my youth now that I have another 911. The car just feels right and fulfills all the things the M3 never could even though it is a lovely car.

:D :D

We have a Boxster and 997 the Boxster is a more balanced car for sure BUT its not a 911 and nor is a Cayman a 911 we have and are looking at a 981 right now but I bet the next model we buy will be a 911 again :grin:

ps. With regards to your original question - If you've wanted for a 911, there is no other answer than a 911. Forget the Boxster/Cayman thing, you'll spend all your days wishing you'd bought a 911.

I was just a bit doubtful having read that article! Following all the responses to my queries and now especially your last post - I wouldn't even consider anything but a 911 now 8) !
thanks everyone!
Nicola

Biddy - what a great dilemma - but the answer is simple.

Go and test drive all three cars; chose the one you like the most. All 3 are Porsches and you wont be disappointed with any of them; sadly, like others have said, if you don't chose the 911, you'll always have that nagging you at the back of your mind - particularly when you see one of us go past you... :thumb:

Osh

Mid engines may be better balanced, but the 911 is basically unique in its handling (although Porsche continue to dial it out with a combination of electronic driver aids, fancy suspension and moving the engine closer to the midline)

So you have to drive to its strengths (and take account of its weaknesses)

The back end is heavy and the front end is light.

So steering can be vague in certain circumstances, or the front characteristically "bob" at speed (A tank of fuel or just the weight of front prop shafts can help here), and certainly on older 911s with no nanny systems, don't back off or brake on a corner, or the backend may disagree.

But here is the payoff:

When you brake (straight) you can brake so much later and so much deeper.

And when you've rounded the curve, you can plant the throttle much earlier too.

Traction for acceleration is unparalleled (in a straight line).

Truly, nothing compares to them.

GT4 said:
Mid engines may be better balanced, but the 911 is basically unique in its handling (although Porsche continue to dial it out with a combination of electronic driver aids, fancy suspension and moving the engine closer to the midline)

So you have to drive to its strengths (and take account of its weaknesses)

The back end is heavy and the front end is light.

So steering can be vague in certain circumstances, or the front characteristically "bob" at speed (A tank of fuel or just the weight of front prop shafts can help here), and certainly on older 911s with no nanny systems, don't back off or brake on a corner, or the backend may disagree.

But here is the payoff:

When you brake (straight) you can brake so much later and so much deeper.

And when you've rounded the curve, you can plant the throttle much earlier too.

Traction for acceleration is unparalleled (in a straight line).

Truly, nothing compares to them.

I couldn't have put it better. That's exactly why I found driving my 993 on track days to be far less daunting than the seminal R26.R which would almost certainly be quicker in the right hands. 911s just feel 'safe'.

I would still not dismiss the 981. It's not a 911 but it is a cheap way to buy the front end and interior of a 911! As a pure drivers car that will make smile and thankful for the good things in life, the 981 is a delight and against the 912, something of a bargain.

Tough choice
:grin:

Nicola,
The great thing about these cars is the amount of things you can bolt on, as you say your friends GT3 sticks low and flat, and that can be achieved to any 997 with either coilovers or lowering springs and widen the stance with spacers, the engines hang off the mounts on these cars so over time the mounts sag causing the engine to waggle around, so fitting semi solid engine mounts will give you much of the feel of the GT3 without making it track hard. Also the steering is quite light on these cars so fit a 4" underdrive pulley and this will add a little weight to the steering which in turn adds confidence. There are also various other things you can do dependant on how far you want to take it, as you can imagine with a car that has the racing heritage of Porsche. :thumb: :grin:

For 997.2 money, buy a 987 Cayman and a 996 Coupe then you don't have to decide.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back