Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 1
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 77
996 : 1997-2005 35
993 : 1993-1998 7
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 4
Macan : 2014- 5
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

DucatiRob
Kyalami

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of the Cargraphics unit, just had a look, not cheap Surprised

If disconnecting the wires from the PSE switch doesn't throw any error messages then I don't see any reason this mod can't be fitted easily, plus if you have the PSE switch anyway it's a cheap mod for less than £15! Plus you alway have the option of reverting back to standard easily too Thumb
Ducati 996

deMort
Dijon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy way to check would be to just unplug the pse valve and see if you get any messages / errors .

This will simulate replaceing it with Robs setup .

Im of the opinion that you will get no messages or even fault codes as im fairly sure its a dumb system ( not a system thats monitored ).

My Daughter's Crowdfunding has hit the target see Here

Thank you all so Very much .

She's not going until july 2020 though .

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

DucatiRob
Kyalami

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a little research, the standard PSE system controls the valves so that they are open at idle, then close as revs rise and then open again at around 3500 rpm. The valves are obviously controlled from the ECU so it's a question of whether unplugging the solenoid throws some sort of error, probably not according to Dermot.

One thing I am not sure of is whether there is a dash indicator when PSE is manually activated, just like there is when you activate PASM?

If there is, and you wanted to retain this feature then the wiring would be a little more complicated, you would need to find the control unit or relay for the PSE! I would imagine that the ECU would perform the same function as my latching relay circuit, performing the switching in auto mode with the manual override to turn it off completely I guess?

Is the button LED lit in normal mode, or is it activated when you turn the PSE off?
Ducati 996

Bonners1
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lost me at, "This is something...."

Dont know

DucatiRob
Kyalami

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonners1 wrote:
You lost me at, "This is something...."

Dont know

Think I lost myself too Surprised

Think I'm just trying to say this can be fitted to PSE cars too, just maybe a bit more wiring if there is a dash indicator!
Ducati 996

deMort
Dijon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no dash indicator that ive ever seen .. but i dont know everything nor do i own a 997 Razz

Imho your system would be a direct replacement with no faults listed .

It might help people if you could explain how you made the voltage reducer .. i see that as the only sticking point in what is a very good idear and post .

.. i think a lot of people will be wanting this Smile

EDIT .. i actually think if you could do this as a kit then people would buy it .

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

DucatiRob
Kyalami

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demort wrote:
Theres no dash indicator that ive ever seen .. but i dont know everything nor do i own a 997 Razz

Imho your system would be a direct replacement with no faults listed .

It might help people if you could explain how you made the voltage reducer .. i see that as the only sticking point in what is a very good idear and post .

.. i think a lot of people will be wanting this Smile

EDIT .. i actually think if you could do this as a kit then people would buy it .

Like the idea of that Dermot Thumb

Let me see Question .. £23 for the parts excluding the switch, plus an hour of hard laour and some Porsche tax... about £600 please.. place your orders here thumbsup

Yes, the voltage divider.. I found a pic I took but it doesn't show the connections so I have added a few lines so hopefully it is clear.

The red wire is the 12v input, the black wire goes to ground and the red/black wire is the 4v output! Note.. the two resistors wired in parallel can be swapped for a single resistor half the value of the first resistor, I just didn't have resistors of the right value in the pack I bought from Maplin. The size of the resistor is not important, it's the relative value that matters.

I think these are 110 ohm - 3 watt resistors. Two 110 ohm resistors wired in parallel give a total resistance of 55 ohm. 3 watt resistors are a decent size so no chance of overheating.

Hope this helps!
Ducati 996

deMort
Dijon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I humbly added your info to the picture , hopefully thats ok , people tend to skip text Wink

i think the resistors are 160 ohms .. Brown , blue brown .. checked it here but im no electronics expert , i just fault find 12v systems ...

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/resistorcalculator.php

Its an easy enough job to do and i think its very professional to be honest ..

But if anyone wants this and is not confident at doing it themselves then print Robs instructions and take it too your local garage , they should have no problem fitting it for you .

Im not sure how posts are added to the Faq section .. but this gets my vote for being put there .. ive bookmarked it just in case any customer wants it Smile

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

SAM_5040_copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  169.89 KB
 Viewed:  5837 Time(s)

SAM_5040_copy.jpg

DucatiRob
Kyalami

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demort wrote:
I humbly added your info to the picture , hopefully thats ok , people tend to skip text Wink

i think the resistors are 160 ohms .. Brown , blue brown .. checked it here but im no electronics expert , i just fault find 12v systems ...

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/resistorcalculator.php

Its an easy enough job to do and i think its very professional to be honest ..

But if anyone wants this and is not confident at doing it themselves then print Robs instructions and take it too your local garage , they should have no problem fitting it for you .

Im not sure how posts are added to the Faq section .. but this gets my vote for being put there .. ive bookmarked it just in case any customer wants it Smile

Thank you Dermot.. yes bang on with your added info to the picture, much clearer Thumb

I'm sure you're right on the resistor size too, the value isn't important just the ratio!
Ducati 996

systech1
Silverstone

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: PSE switch retrofit on 997.2 Reply with quote

Many thanks to DucatiRob for coming up with this concept. The previous owner of my MY2010 997.2 had the OEM PSE retrofitted but without the switching mechanism. After I installed the H&S back box bypass, I decided to install the PSE switch as it was then very loud on start-up with no means of turning it off (the neighbours probably helped me to come to this conclusion!) . I initially bought the Carnewal remote kit but after having seen this post, reverted to this approach.

Have now done the upgrade in a similar way as DucatiRob has suggested with a number of amendments which may be of interest to any others planning to do the same mod on their 997.2 (his car is a 997.1)

a) I installed the latching relay and the resistive divider together in a small plastic box, with the resistors strapped across the relevant terminals on the relay

b) I then installed the latching relay under the PCM in the front console on top of the Nav processor (?) which meant that wiring to the switch panel (PSE switch output and PSE LED) was simple. Similarly sourced the 12V for the relay from Pin 3 of a suitable relay in the front relay panel under the drivers side dash.

c) this meant that the only cable required to the engine bay was for the PSE solenoid. I ran this cable through the centre console, under the carpet in between the rear seats (you need to pull up hard to lift this!) and to the rear shelf where the DME is installed and from there through a grommet under the DME to the engine (finding this was a god send!).

This solution now looks totally OEM but with the PSE either ON or OFF as per the switch setting without the DME interfering on a rev dependent basis.

Very pleased with the result but it's 12 hours of my life that I will never get back. Of course if (God forbid) I had to do it again, I could do it in half the time, so hopefully these few tips will help anyone planning the same process on their 997.2
Long time Porsche fan. Previous cars include 911T 2.2, 911E 2.2, Carrera 3.0, 986 Boxster S. Current car is 997.2S Manual (with PSE, H&S Backbox bypass, Sports Chrono, SSK, DSC PASM controller, Carrera Sports wheels, Ducktail/Diffuser and splitter, Sport Design steering wheel etc.)

DucatiRob
Kyalami

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: PSE switch retrofit on 997.2 Reply with quote

systech1 wrote:
Many thanks to DucatiRob for coming up with this concept. The previous owner of my MY2010 997.2 had the OEM PSE retrofitted but without the switching mechanism. After I installed the H&S back box bypass, I decided to install the PSE switch as it was then very loud on start-up with no means of turning it off (the neighbours probably helped me to come to this conclusion!) . I initially bought the Carnewal remote kit but after having seen this post, reverted to this approach.

Have now done the upgrade in a similar way as DucatiRob has suggested with a number of amendments which may be of interest to any others planning to do the same mod on their 997.2 (his car is a 997.1)

a) I installed the latching relay and the resistive divider together in a small plastic box, with the resistors strapped across the relevant terminals on the relay

b) I then installed the latching relay under the PCM in the front console on top of the Nav processor (?) which meant that wiring to the switch panel (PSE switch output and PSE LED) was simple. Similarly sourced the 12V for the relay from Pin 3 of a suitable relay in the front relay panel under the drivers side dash.

c) this meant that the only cable required to the engine bay was for the PSE solenoid. I ran this cable through the centre console, under the carpet in between the rear seats (you need to pull up hard to lift this!) and to the rear shelf where the DME is installed and from there through a grommet under the DME to the engine (finding this was a god send!).

This solution now looks totally OEM but with the PSE either ON or OFF as per the switch setting without the DME interfering on a rev dependent basis.

Very pleased with the result but it's 12 hours of my life that I will never get back. Of course if (God forbid) I had to do it again, I could do it in half the time, so hopefully these few tips will help anyone planning the same process on their 997.2

Excellent work systech! Pleased that someone else has been able to do the same thing. I think your wiring solution is better, as access to the unit is probably simpler than having to remove the subwoofer, carpets etc compared to where I put mine.

I like the memory function of this unit too, somyou can leave it open or closed all the time if you want, even after turning the ignition off!

By the way, how much is the carnewal unit?
Ducati 996

Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: PSE switch retrofit on 997.2 Reply with quote

systech1 wrote:

Great post systech1, I really like the way Rob and you have overcome what people said couldnt be done. a perfect way to OE style an aftermatket system

DucatiRob
Kyalami

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Phil Thumb Just waiting for the job offer from Porsche now Very Happy
Ducati 996

-- 997 --
Suzuka

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, am in the process of doing mine but slightly differently! Possibly gonna use 2 single latching relay rather than one as a caution for long term reliabilty and no resisters are used in the circuit, power will come straight from the igntion rather than tapping into console wires which will have a built in fuse in the box where the relays will sit in, the relays will be located at a convenient area for easy access aswel!! And the remote fob that is currently connected to the exhaust valve will be disconnected and will be made redundant..

Picture's will be posted once i get my 5hit together.. Thumb

J

Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DucatiRob wrote:
Cheers Phil Thumb Just waiting for the job offer from Porsche now Very Happy

mate you couldnt take the pay cut Floor Floor

Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-- 997 -- wrote:
Hi, am in the process of doing mine but slightly differently! Possibly gonna use 2 single latching relay rather than one as a caution for long term reliabilty and no resisters are used in the circuit, power will come straight from the igntion rather than tapping into console wires which will have a built in fuse in the box where the relays will sit in, the relays will be located at a convenient area for easy access aswel!! And the remote fob that is currently connected to the exhaust valve will be disconnected and will be made redundant..

Picture's will be posted once i get my 5hit together.. Thumb

J

J looking forward to seeing pics mate Thumb

systech1
Silverstone

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: PSE switch retrofit on 997.2 Reply with quote

DucatiRob wrote:
systech1 wrote:

Excellent work systech! Pleased that someone else has been able to do the same thing. I think your wiring solution is better, as access to the unit is probably simpler than having to remove the subwoofer, carpets etc compared to where I put mine.

I like the memory function of this unit too, so you can leave it open or closed all the time if you want, even after turning the ignition off!

By the way, how much is the carnewal unit?

Unfortunately I still had to remove the Bose subwoofer and carpet trim to get the solenoid wire to the engine bay (via a grommet under the DME) but the wiring of the relay installed under the PCM was certainly pretty easy.

The Carnewal remote kit can be found here... http://www.carnewal.com/products/P97/p091/Installation-Set-for-Switchable-Exhaust-via-Remote and costs EURO 295

The wired Carnewal kit (which uses a separate NON OEM switch) can be found here.. http://www.carnewal.com/products/P97/p092/Installation-Set-for-Switchable-Exhaust-via-Switch and costs EURO 125.

I ended up using the relevant bits in the remote kit (apart from the remote and remote receiver of course)...so if anyone wants those redundant remote bits they are going cheap Very Happy
Long time Porsche fan. Previous cars include 911T 2.2, 911E 2.2, Carrera 3.0, 986 Boxster S. Current car is 997.2S Manual (with PSE, H&S Backbox bypass, Sports Chrono, SSK, DSC PASM controller, Carrera Sports wheels, Ducktail/Diffuser and splitter, Sport Design steering wheel etc.)

DucatiRob
Kyalami

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey Surprised 295 Euros for all the bits that came free with my topgear exhaust that I only paid £600 for!!

Phil - I would work would cheap for Porsche as long as I got a company car Very Happy then I would then get off with the fit bird in their legal department and convince her to pay compensation to every owner who has suffered from bore scoring or IMS failure Very Happy
Ducati 996

Last edited by DucatiRob on Thu May 11, 2017 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DucatiRob wrote:
Blimey Surprised 295 Euros for all the bits that came free with my topgear exhaust that I only paid £600 for!!

Phil - I would would cheap for Porsche as long as I got a company car Very Happy then I would then get off with the fit bird in their legal department and convince her to pay compensation to every owner who has suffered from bore scoring or IMS failure Very Happy

Sod the borescoring tell me more about the fit bird in legal Grin Grin Grin

PS1000

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: PSE retrofit on 997.2 Reply with quote

Hi all - just to build on this excellent post from Ducati Rob (and Systec) I have now followed his instructions and successfully installed the PSE button to control my new Top Gear valved exhaust on my 997.2

A few minor differences..

- The connector on the 997.2 has 20 pins however it is still pins 10 and 11 that connect to the PSE button as per Rob's original posting https://www.dropbox.com/s/smvmpgk8pkqxjmb/20170917_171715.jpg?dl=0

- I just used two resistors in the voltage divider (100 ohm and 50 ohm) which gives the same result as the 3 Rob used

- I installed into two small project boxes which fitted neatly in the space behind the PCM https://www.dropbox.com/s/uz3srsma46gf3v0/20171025_171508.jpg?dl=0
This meant just one wire to be routed to the engine bay (see my other post on how to do this)

Switched live was obtained by using a piggy back fuse from the main fuse box https://www.dropbox.com/s/htr6qjras74dacr/20171023_163911.jpg?dl=0

The Top Gear exhaust looks good quality but not so sure about the electronic components. I decided to buy a Pierburg valve - which is what Porsche would have fitted as the OEM part
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pb8vjxggskud6ya/20171104_132009.jpg?dl=0

Everything working fine and I'm really pleased with the end result. I would summarise by saying its how the car should really sound from the factory. Not in any way too loud or droning - but just enough of a bark to match the looks and performance of the 997. Definitely a mod I would recommend to everyone. I should also say that I have also fitted the H&S crossover pipe to replace the rear (centre) silencer. I did this first and I know that there are various posts saying the 997.2 PSE is not loud enough with the OE centre silencer still in place - so I'd recommend replacing it with a crossover pipe as well

Thanks again to Ducatirob for the original excellent post. I would have been lost without it

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: