Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Project outlaw 944

igaffz

Many months ago I spotted this car on eBay and not being to far away from me it cought my attention. I wasn't sure at first and the car disappeared off eBay but a few days later it re appeared for sale again. I contacted the seller and it turned out he was having a problem with people hitting the buy it now button without even seeing it and failing to make payment or get in contact with him.
Anyway I went to see it and did the deal. It's actually been in a REAL barn for four years. Turned out the guy had bought it with a suspected failed cylinder head gasket but it turned out it had a bad leak from the radiator. Full of enthusiasm he stripped the front end and fitted a nearly new radiator and pipe work then parked it in his barn and never even got it put back together.

As it was when it was pulled out the barn.

I got a mate to trailer it home for me and I rolled it down my street and onto my drive, the engine would run no problem but it had no brakes whatsoever!
So up to now I've been the length of my street in it and got into second gear briefly, I hope the rest of the gears are all happy and the diff doesn't whine but that will make the first proper drive a bit more exciting!

I haven't got any decent pictures but I've almost finished replacing all the brake pipes and flexy hoses, I've just got the rear driver side pipe to replace and there sorted.
Quite a while ago I replaced both engine mounts as the car has the shakes really badly and I thought they might need a refresh. I might of done this the hard way with the cross member in place? Access was very tight but I managed eventually.

The new and old mounts, to be honest the old mounts looked fine to me.

Driver side, this one gets all the heat from the manifold and tends to collapse.

Passenger side, I think this one must be a Porsche item.

Resently I've put the front on axel stands to refurb the front suspension and brakes.

Canny grotty!

Decided to refurbish/renew everything.

After a good clean.

Gave the stub axels a good clean up with a wire brush in my dads old drill and a coat of hammeright. Replaced the control arm and all the rubbers and ball joint with new parts, I also replaced the track rod ends, but I still need to replace the anti roll bar rubbers.

Front calipers looked very grotty.

A good clean up with the wire brush in the drill and they came up really nice, then I blew the pistons out with an air line and loads of crud and water came out with them! I don't know how but the pistons were in mint condition so I got some new seals from big red and rebuilt them, this was very easy so I'm glad I did it. After a million coats of hammeright and a dusting of clear coat they were sorted.

A bit premature but I picked these up aswel

I'm planning on deleting the side rub strips, areal and rear wiper. The rubber strips missing off the rear bumper, I might leave it off and drill holes in like some of the race cars I've seen?

Any ideas for mods or wheel colours welcome.

:bye: :bye:

I look forward to seeing the finished Outlaw article. It looks quite a clean car, is there no rust to deal with?

I'm a sucker for silver wheels especially on a red car but it depends on the path you follow with this one, it looks like you've jumped in with both feet already.

Cool project Ian. Watching with interest!

I want to find a 924 at some point and make a crude Carrera GT rep, track car.

I'm sure you'll bring yours back upto a good standard.
I take it you got the 928 sold then if you're pressing on with this?

igaffz :thumbs:

that is indeed a challenge

Hi Marky still got the 928, no one came out to view it so I've decided to keep it until next year. It was a nightmare dealing with time wasters asking stupid questions!

Infrasilver, it's very clean apart from the bits that arnt! :grin: if I have time tonight I'll put some pics up of the bad bits.
I'll probably go with silver wheels, I've already got some black ones and anthracite ones so I don't want to go the dark route.

911 uk, it's nowhere near as big a project as the 828! It's great working on a car that's so simple.

Kas 750, :thumbs:

Just a couple of quick observations for future reference.
Changing the engine mounts made no difference to the shaky engine? I've been informed by my local Indy it will be a balance belt issue, I need to check what water pump I have befor I can order new belts and rollers.

This was my first calliper overhaul and it went well but I wouldn't use hammeright again. It hasn't adheared to the metal as well as I'd like and the coloured stuff goes on very thin requiring many coats wether you paint it on or spray it. Next time I'll buy a proper caliper paint.

:thumbs:

Good luck with it :thumbs:

Had a 924 and my brother had a 944 at the same time.

I would do something like this (boss one is my fave):

41ba93b7f1da73b4ade2d2644420c2a5.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

39156924001_original.jpg

pm_boss_1155.jpg

Nice one Ian , i thought you might give up on this one but pleased to see it getting a second life on the road , good luck with it . Keith

Some nice 924's here :thumb:

I was there when Jurgen Barth raced that Boss 924 Carrera GTR back in 1981 Le Mans, him and Walter Rhorl came in 7th overall. Lovely car.

Can't wait to see this develop Ian :thumbs:

Cheers,
Paul

Ian, the wheels you have bought are forged 944 Turbo with MO30 option wheels, rare and desirable.
If you get them refurbished do not get them blasted or skimmed as you will lose the scallop detail and weaken the wheel, very common to see them for sale with a "haircut" but worth nowt as they have been weakened by the procee of metal removal.

Don't seem to be able to post pictures anymore?

Ok, I've been trying to make a bit of time for car stuff over the last couple of weeks.
Stuff completed so far-

All brake pipes renewed, including flexy pipes.
New engine mounts.
New airfilter, plugs, oil filter and oil.
New front control arms and bushes.
New track rod ends.
New pagid front and rear discs.
New pads.
Front calipers rebuilt.
Removed intake to clean ISV and check for air leaks.
New front wheel bearings.

Last week I started the belts and water pump.

Strip down started.

To this.

Glad I decided to replace the water pump, its a genuine Porsche pump but I think it's been on a while.

New one ready to go back in.

Hope if to get it finished on Friday if I manage to get off work!

I've got the front built back up, I just need to fit some power flex anti roll bar bushes I picked up cheap off eBay and fit the new coilovers when I get round to ordering them.

Rears are coming along, I've fitted the new discs and cleaned up the disc covers.

Rears.

Fronts.

Only my rear disc covers are aluminium and cleaned up brand new.

But my fronts are steel and have rotted badly.

If a buy new fronts will they be steel or aluminium? If they are steel how have I got aluminium rears?

When I fabricate new fuel pipes can I use copper? I can't remember if coppers ok with petrol! The old pipes are a bit tatty so I'll be doing away with them.

I'll update at the weekend

:thumbs:

What make water pump did you use and how much, I'm just looking for one at the moment, there seems to be a Circoli one at a really good price that needs modifying slightly as it's for an S2 or go for the genuine one at £££?

I bought new backing for my front discs as they were shot and I think they were around £40 each which was a little steep for a couple of sheets of stamped steel, I couldn't find them any cheaper than OPC at the time though. My rear ones are aluminium same as yours so that must be standard fitment.

These once forgotten front engined Porches are becoming Uber cool now guys :worship:

Keep up these fantastic rebirth build threads :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back