Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

13 years of 993 ownership in numbers (revised 01 Nov 2017)

Kat1

Some numbers to quantify the 12 years of ownership of my C4. It might be of interest to any one thinking of purchasing a 993.
Fuel, Insurance, Mot and VED costs have not been included.

It should also be appreciated that all parts have been fitted by me at home so there is no labour included.

Date of purchase:- 23 Sept 2004
No of years owned:- 12

Mileage on purchase:- 45027
Current mileage:- 110143
Total mileage since purchase:- 65116
Average yearly mileage:- 5426
Lowest yearly mileage:- 1273 2011/12
Highest yearly mileage:- 10927 2004/5

Parts cost during ownership:- £13253.49
Labour cost during ownership:- £0 - All labour carried out by myself
Average parts cost per annum :- £1104.46
Average parts cost per mile:- £0.204
Average tyre cost per mile:- £0.032

Cost of modifications to standard specification:- £15.00 - Replace cassette storage with a tray.
Largest single item cost:- £1239.62- Shocks and suspension set up by CoG in 2010

No of evaporators fitted:- 2
No of batteries fitted:- 3 - Routine replacement every five years
No of clutches fitted:- 0 - Will need doing soon - it is stiff to operate
No of rear discs sets fitted :-3 - It's the corrosion thats them every time - now I am getting them skimmed.

No of sets of rear tyres fitted :- 4 - 6.0mm left on current set
No of sets of front tyre fitted :- 3 - 4.5 mm left on current set
No of 'in journey" breakdowns requiring recovery :- 1 - Alternator failure

993 ownership is not all about the numbers but sometimes it is good to know.

Great informative post.

12 years ownership from a 45,000 miler, £13253.49 in parts. Hats off to you for being able to do the labour yourself.

What do you reckon the labour cost would have been at approx £100 per hour inc vat? (like wot the majority of owners have to pay).

A 'guess' will suffice :thumb:

labour is astronomical, its a smokescreen, who checks the hourly rate, answer, they do. I reckon 200 quid an hour is commonplace but you just don't know it. forget the advertised rate, its just a number. And before anyone gets on their high horse, I speak from experience, not hot air.

I would love to be able to do what the op did. maybe I could if I had a ramp or pit.

great post :thumb:

£55 per hour, + Vat up North :grin:

Ridders said:
£55 per hour, + Vat up North :grin:

Think I'm paying £60 +vat. Worth driving north if you have a big job planned :thumb:

No rose tinted specs on this thread. The OP was in spuds deep :worship:

Re: 12 years of 993 ownership in numbers

Kat1 said:
Largest single item cost:- £1239.62- Shocks and suspension set up by CoG in 2010

Hi-
What exactly did you get for £1239 ?
I'm off to COG soon......

Kimbo said:
What do you reckon the labour cost would have been

I have just fired up the spreadsheet and will get back to you with an estimate in due course.

carkid said:
What exactly did you get for £1239 ?
I'm off to COG soon......

Bilsteins all round, corner weights adjust, suspension set up and a chance to see the superb detail and attention of Chris's work.

I also had my overalls on and assisted with the fitting of the shocks.

I suspect it will cost you a bit more as costs will no doubt have increased in the last six years.

Thats a lot of labour even doing the work yourself at home.

Pretzel said:

Thats a lot of labour even doing the work yourself at home.

The first time (Aug 2005) it took about 11 hours by the second time (March 2016) it took about 8 hours.

Kimbo said:
What do you reckon the labour cost would have been at approx £100 per hour inc vat? (like wot the majority of owners have to pay).

I estimate that it would have taken an experienced 993 mechanic some 160 hrs to fit these parts. It took me longer!

At £100 per hour its £16k but I think £60 per hour which takes into account regional variations and the passage of time is more realistic and comes to £9.6k

I also did a front end and side respray in 2011 which I estimate took an additional 40 hours and £269 of "paint" consumables plus numerous Porsche parts.

Great post Kat' :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back