Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 C2S - Heater Problems?

TTW

Hi Everyone,

After many many years of wanting a 911, I am recently a proud owner of a 1st Gen Artic Silver 997 S. (YIPEEE)

The only problem I have is that whilst the AirCon could freeze the Nads off a penguin, the heater (or rather lack of?) is extremely poor?. - In essence the engine heats up fine, but very little/none hot air comes into the cabin? - At best, if I crank the temp right up (so that 'HI' displays on the controller), switch on the ECO Button, AND turn the FAN right down/off, then EVENTUALLY (after about 30 mins on the motorway) - luke warm air will start to come through the vents - but if I turn the fan up, then the heat is diluted, and goes cool again; or if switch the air to Cool, then back to warm; the air stays cool.

Has anyone experienced this problem, or can anyone advise what may be the issue?

Thanks in advance
Trevor.

Ooops, forgot to include a pic.

Attachments

• img_3394_182.jpg
    img_3394_182.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 4,907
Trevor, quick move with the pic nicely done :grin: :grin: welcome to the forum and 911 ownership.
re your heating issue , it is definitely not right and should be like any other modern car , hopefully someone like demort who is a Porsche tech will be along shortly to give you a steer. as you need to get it done soon before the weather changes. :thumb: :grin: if you don't hear from him ping him a PM as hes always happy to help. :thumb: :grin:

Welcome :)

Your problem , it sounds like a sensor fault on the heater system or possibly one of the control flap motors has failed .

My guess would be a temp sensor though , unfortunatly you would need a tester on the car and look at actual values to see which one .

Outside items internal heater flap has failed , broken shaft .. thats not so good so ill not go into that one ..

Actual circulation of the coolant through the heater matrix .. never come accross that before but anything is possible i guess , well not outside of changeing rads and the system hasnt bled through properly .

I could dig up various pictures of the heater system but its not really going to help im afraid .

Either way unfortunatly youll need to get it into a garage so they can have a look .

Edit .. there is a system check which Porsche testers do that activate all the motors .. its possible that might get a stuck one moveing , your local indy will know about it i expect .

Demort said:
Welcome :)

Your problem , it sounds like a sensor fault on the heater system or possibly one of the control flap motors has failed .

My guess would be a temp sensor though , unfortunatly you would need a tester on the car and look at actual values to see which one .

Outside items internal heater flap has failed , broken shaft .. thats not so good so ill not go into that one ..

Actual circulation of the coolant through the heater matrix .. never come accross that before but anything is possible i guess , well not outside of changeing rads and the system hasnt bled through properly .

I could dig up various pictures of the heater system but its not really going to help im afraid .

Either way unfortunatly youll need to get it into a garage so they can have a look .

Edit .. there is a system check which Porsche testers do that activate all the motors .. its possible that might get a stuck one moveing , your local indy will know about it i expect .

Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

The system has been flushed, but didn't resolve the issue, so I'm pretty happy that circulation isn't the problem? - In respect of Sensors, or internal heater flap(s), where could I find some info on these?

The heater box assembly has motors on both sides that activate various flaps to direct heat and control which vents to blow through , the heater shut off flap might have stuck or a temp sensor might have failed and so giveing an incorrect value ..

They are not really that accessable and i dont have any listings at home for each motor on the system , ill have a look tomorrow to see which is the heater motor flap control and see if i can come up with a way to check it .

I did a search and came up with this ..

http://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/897200-need-info-help-on-ac-blowing-hot-air-only.html

This is the opposite of what you have but i now think this is your problem .. its just stuck the opposite way , its for a 996 but will give you an idear .. ill check 997 tomorrow .

Demort said:
The heater box assembly has motors on both sides that activate various flaps to direct heat and control which vents to blow through , the heater shut off flap might have stuck or a temp sensor might have failed and so giveing an incorrect value ..

They are not really that accessable and i dont have any listings at home for each motor on the system , ill have a look tomorrow to see which is the heater motor flap control and see if i can come up with a way to check it .

I did a search and came up with this ..

http://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/897200-need-info-help-on-ac-blowing-hot-air-only.html

This is the opposite of what you have but i now think this is your problem .. its just stuck the opposite way , its for a 996 but will give you an idear .. ill check 997 tomorrow .

Many Thanks :) - Might replacing the whole Heater Box, for a used one on Ebay be one of the easiest options? (eg. like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-P...en:997&hash=item235d22b47f:g:lNkAAOSwQItUGvEM )

Well ... before you go down that route as it requires the dash out and a fair bit of work after that try seeing if the actuator has stuck.

The one you want should be to the left of the clutch pedal and up a bit .. couple of diagrams i got from a training manual might help .

It could also be an interior temp sensor or possibly air intake temp sensor .. only way to check these is with a tester or replacement.

I would start with the actuator though as in the picture you can see how it shuts off the heat supply to the car.

No.16 central flap.
No. 6 top left shows the flap.

Attachments

• heater_1_195.jpg
    heater_1_195.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 4,730
Demort said:
Well ... before you go down that route as it requires the dash out and a fair bit of work after that try seeing if the actuator has stuck.

The one you want should be to the left of the clutch pedal and up a bit .. couple of diagrams i got from a training manual might help .

It could also be an interior temp sensor or possibly air intake temp sensor .. only way to check these is with a tester or replacement.

I would start with the actuator though as in the picture you can see how it shuts off the heat supply to the car.

No.16 central flap.
No. 6 top left shows the flap.

Your an absolute star!!! :worship: are you referring to #17 on the diagram.

Tell you what .. PM me your email addy and ill send you the complete manual ... i thought it was the top one to be honest but as the diagram is off center and for a left hand drive im now confused !!

Its a lot easier when i look under the dash as i can see what im looking at then :D

I think it is 17 but thats at the top and not how the picture looks .

Problem turned out to be Heater Matrix. Fortunately only a 2.5hr job dropping a replacement in under the bonnet (not a dashboard out job) - All sorted & ready for winter now :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back