Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DVLA has lost £93 million revenue after scrapping tax discs

mzmini

Shock horror DVLA has lost £93 million in revenue since the scrapping of the old style paper disc ,is this because people are cheating the system or a coincidence :dont know:

Perhaps it is just the ease of Pay as You Go (monthly payments) and the associated ability to SORN at the click of a button.

I have SORN'd stuff four times in the last 12 months, up from between zero and one in the previous 12 months, just because it is so easy to get your money back!

I would imagine there is also a general decline in VED as people buy new cleaner cars.

£93MM is a rounding error in any case vs the £40+ BN it brings in total annually (0.25%)

The real question is how many million they saved on printing, paper, postage and manpower by automating the new virtual system.

its actually a very good idea, much easier to flag up criminals, the old way was being used as a 'mask' by criminals, I wonder what the associated savings have been due to this policy.

Projections are £33MM PA savings index linked to the DLVA, and a saving of £22MM PA for businesses through efficiencies (ie less paperwork and less standing around in Post Offices!)

I much prefer this system, no more catching some shites germs in the post office and queuing for 20mins for your disc. its a win win in my book.

in fact, I more or less run my life online now, and I was reluctant in the beginning.

you can teach an old dog new tricks. :thumb:

I also SORN mine far more often if I think I'm not going to use it in the month.

You're all wrong, it won't last.
I'm just waiting for this whole internet thing to blow over.

:grin:

With regard to sorn. If you know you're going to be sorn'ing a car a couple of months after its tax renewal date as I will with mine as tax is due September but it comes off the road in October for winter, are there any benefits to going monthly on the payments rather than pay for 6/12 months upfront?
Or is it just as easy and cost effective whichever way you do it?

what you mean people sorn their cars to save 20 quid, how ludicrous

My Cayennes tax is over £500 per year, my 911s are a bit less but still loads. I can only drive one at a time.

By SORNing the cars I am not using I am not paying more tax than I should. I've already paid tax when I earnt the money, and will be taxed when I spend it.

If it takes me five minutes to save me £20 that's not a bad hourly rate!

Marky911 said:
You're all wrong, it won't last.
I'm just waiting for this whole internet thing to blow over.

:grin:

With regard to sorn. If you know you're going to be sorn'ing a car a couple of months after its tax renewal date as I will with mine as tax is due September but it comes off the road in October for winter, are there any benefits to going monthly on the payments rather than pay for 6/12 months upfront?
Or is it just as easy and cost effective whichever way you do it?

Full whack is the cheapest per month, and the refund months are the same for either method.

Fear not fellow motorists as the DVLA will be back soon to recover these loses through its stupidity :floor:

So - nothing to do with the fact that most of the cars on the road are taxed by CO2 and the older (higher taxed) ones are gradually being decommissioned and their replacements are all lower banded vehicles that pay less tax then :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back