Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Winter Wheel and tyre sets

sideways

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, as i take delivery of my first new 911 in December. (C2 coupe PDK)
I was just wondereing if anyone knew the best place for 19" winter wheel and tyre packages. I would rather not spend stupid money (OPC).
I only do about 2000 miles max over the winter and it seems cheaper to get a package rather than winter tyres for the 20" rims i have.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Cheers

before answering that... more details needed on what you've ordered! ;)

6appeal said:
before answering that... more details needed on what you've ordered! ;)

You drive a hard bargain!

It's my first 911 (had a couple of boxsters and a Cayenne) and after test driving 997's i wanted something a little more modern as my daily drive. I have got used to modern tech and whilst sitting in traffic I like the little luxury's! In a ideal world i'll get something N/A for weekend fun when my kids grow up and give me back my weekends!

So i ordered a new 991 C2:
Midnight Blue
ParkAssist with reversing camera
Rear Wiper
Electric slide/tilt glass sunroof
PDK
20 inch Carrera S wheels
Cruise
Auto dimming mirror/rain sensor
Heated mult function steering wheel
Seat heating
Floor mats (wtf)
Isofix on front seat (I have a 8 month old)
BOSE
Sports tailpipes in Black

As you can see its a 'comfort mode' car, as i spend a lot of time in traffic. Having test driven one it didn't feel much slower than my RS4. I imagine i will end up steadily upgrading to an S or 4S in the coming years....

The 911 has always been the car i wanted to own but either timing or money stopped me, i am just a little bit excited :yahoo:

Attachments

• 911_153.jpg
    911_153.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 5,701
The best place to get winter wheels and tyres is frankly eBay. Ensure that you include Felgen in your search and extend it to Germany (winters are required over there if the car is driven through winter weather and thus the supply is much, much greater, though you may still get lucky in this country).

As a general rule of thumb - if you buy wheels used, you can sell them (assuming in the same condition) for essentially what you paid if you ever get out of a car into something that they don't fit on. When buying used you will be able to get 2nd hand wheel and tyre sets, 2nd hand wheels with new tyres or just the wheels and source the rubber directly (perhaps via a mobile fitter like Event Tyres or a similar company) depending upon what works for you.

All of my winter wheels came from the 'bay - I had to drive to Preston (I contacted the seller after they failed to sell and got his best cash in hand on collection price) to get a little used factory set complete with Sottozeros and TPM sensors for my 997 GT3 for £1200, my BWM has a factory wheel/tyre set which when acquired had only about 1200 miles on them (tread depth gauge had them basically as new) for £400 and I even bought a set of wheels for my mum's Honda for £99 and had new Goodyear Ultragrips put on them once they arrived.

Thanks Colin
Appreciate the input. Had mixed issues with eBay but it still seems the best option for second hand. Need to decide if I change rims or just tyres.
Paul

Excellent... you must be counting down the days.

That spec is the best looking exhaust IMO.

6appeal said:
Excellent... you must be counting down the days.

That spec is the best looking exhaust IMO.
Little bit.......

Attachments

• img_3825_177.jpg
    img_3825_177.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 5,549
Ha! brilliant

Try to get a full set of rims and tyres. Keeps your summer wheels nice and shiny and undamaged. I found a used set for mine for £800 3 year ago, these were proper Porsche rims with quality winter tyres only 20% worn. As already said, you can get a big chunk of your spend back when you sell them on. If you only change tyres, you'll pay £20 a corner each end of the winter to swap them over,so that's £160 each year.

Shurv said:
Try to get a full set of rims and tyres. Keeps your summer wheels nice and shiny and undamaged. I found a used set for mine for £800 3 year ago, these were proper Porsche rims with quality winter tyres only 20% worn. As already said, you can get a big chunk of your spend back when you sell them on. If you only change tyres, you'll pay £20 a corner each end of the winter to swap them over,so that's £160 each year.

Thanks for the feedback. That is the way I'm leaning provided I can find them at a fair price.
Cheers

Worth mentioning that you definitely need OEM Porsche wheels so be careful of copies described as such or third party makes.

Porsche will void your warranty for a non OEM battery or not N rated tyres so wheels would definitely come under same scrutiny!

Enjoy the new car, looks fantastic!

Cheib said:
Worth mentioning that you definitely need OEM Porsche wheels so be careful of copies described as such or third party makes.

Porsche will void your warranty for a non OEM battery or not N rated tyres so wheels would definitely come under same scrutiny!

They will refuse to extend one with anything non-OE fitted, but there is no history that I am aware of in the UK of them ever voiding a warranty that was in place. Moreover while it is in the statutory warranty period (first couple of years) you have (for now at least) further protections under EU law which prevent them from mandating OPC servicing and OE parts to honour warranty as long as everything is of equivalent quality. Note though that if they are not an OE wheel then you will need to have it declared as a modification with your insurer.

It is a can of worms, but non OE wheels on a new car are ultimately fine as long as from a reputable manufacturer and your Insurance company is happy. I'd still recommend second hand OE wheels with lightly used or new rubber though.

Cheers for the feedback and heads up on N rated. Given the cost of the car I don't think I'll be trying to cut too many corners for the sack of a few hundred quid. I think OE all the way on this one.

OPC says hopefully they will have the car for me during first 2 weeks of December as due to be finished build on 18 Nov. Will see what the weather is doing nearer the time. It's been pretty mild 'down south'. Last year I don't think I saw more than a few days below 5 C. I put the winters on the RS but felt like taking them off after a couple of weeks.

On a side note, if anyone needs a link to ANY road test of 991.2 I'm pretty sure I've watched or read it in the last 2 weeks!!
:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back