Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Potential daily driver, lots of miles :) (Now Actual Driver)

7 week anniversary... 3,500 miles under her belt... still learning new elements of the car.

Sat bored in the traffic tonight, f licking through the various menus, max g-force is an intriguing one.

Acceleration max 0.71G

Cornering max both L&R the same at 0.85G

Braking force a whopping 1.06G (threw the anchor out the window once last week :eek: ).

Go me intrigued what is considered the norm for a road car, found "a passenger car will normally top out at 1G. Only supercars exceed 0.95 Gs" :thumb:

Certainly feels pretty super to me. Haven't yet used the launch control function, wanted the car to properly bed in before putting such strain on, and after all, its pretty super off the line anyway, can remember from Silverstone experience that it was lol fast. Will have to do a bit of R&D on that front and see what it pulls when I hit the 4k mark, got to do it at least once.

What G-max have you guys???

Is there a V-max record anywhere in the menu's? (I assume everyone has 70mph of course)

Great to see you're enjoying the car. 3500 miles in 7 weeks is pretty damn impressive :)

6appeal said:
Acceleration max 0.71G

Braking force a whopping 1.06G (threw the anchor out the window once last week :eek: ).

Some interesting figures, pretty similar to my own :-
Braking 1.05g
Acceleration 0.75g
Corner L 0.90g
Corner R 0.77g

All obtained during "normal" road driving. :roll:

Reckon that cornering can be pushed towards 1g before the tyres cry enough, and the acceleration can get close to 0.9g. Wonder who'll get there first. :grin:

apollokre1d said:
Great to see you're enjoying the car. 3500 miles in 7 weeks is pretty damn impressive :)

Cheers, is ironically lower mileage than I was expecting. Had a couple of weeks when I didn't get much chance to be in the car... Hopefully by end of November will be up to the 6,000 mile mark :thumbs:

DRZ911 said:
Reckon that cornering can be pushed towards 1g before the tyres cry enough, and the acceleration can get close to 0.9g. Wonder who'll get there first. :grin:

Awesome info! Cheers... I feel a league table coming ;) :worship:

6appeal said:
Sat bored in the traffic tonight, ***** through the various menus

Noticed that random one, as the system for some reason censored my word, which is in no way a rude or inappropriate word!? Bizarre. W*****s ;)

DRZ911 said:
6appeal said:
Acceleration max 0.71G

Some interesting figures, pretty similar to my own :-
Braking 1.05g
Acceleration 0.75g
Corner L 0.90g
Corner R 0.77g

All obtained during "normal" road driving. :roll:

You guys need to try a lot harder. All 4 of mine are over 1g
Cornering hits 1.1g almost every day in my 4 mile commute.
You can get 1.1 lateral relatively easily, but then the tyres start to loose grip.

Only way to get 1g acceleration though is a full launch controll start on a grippy surface

6appeal said:
6appeal said:
Sat bored in the traffic tonight, ***** through the various menus

Noticed that random one, as the system for some reason censored my word, which is in no way a rude or inappropriate word!? Bizarre. W*****s ;)

Fixed that for you. :thumb: i.e f licking.

Wilko1 said:
You guys need to try a lot harder. All 4 of mine are over 1g
Cornering hits 1.1g almost every day in my 4 mile commute.
You can get 1.1 lateral relatively easily, but then the tyres start to loose grip.

Only way to get 1g acceleration though is a full launch controll start on a grippy surface

Ha! Good skills that man!!!

And Cheers to T8 for solving the riddle.

Sounds like Wilko could do with borrowing that suit ;)

Anyway... question: what do you guys think about the merits of changing oil at 10k miles instead of 20k as the service schedule advises. Worth it or not?

My daily commute is 100miles+ round trip, so engine condition is good as it gets up to temp regularly and is not really stressed by the journey. So not just weekend blasts, little standing, no short cold running etc.

Even with your high daily miles, think the Porsche recommendation of 20K miles between oil changes is way too much, so changing at 10K miles seems a sensible idea.

My own car does about 8K miles per year, and I change the oil at 5-6K miles.

I do mine on a 12 month cycle which is around 10,000 miles.
If you're going to bin yours at the end of the warranty and move on, then it'll make no difference to trade in value, but may make it easier to shift privately to an enthusiast.
Modern oils are incredible. I've done 10 plus track (2,000+ miles) days on the same oil in my track car, and it looks like new when we change it. As long as you don't overheat the oil (>130c) then it'll last indefinitely.

Cheers...

91 hours driving and 4,000 miles under the belt now. mpg has decreased a bit to 29. Grin continues to increase.

I swear that the sound of the engine has increased in its roar, noticeable difference with sport chrono and the exhaust button pressed, the gurgle and pop is pretty addictive. I don't have a benchmark of previous 911's, as this is the first i've ever been near, let alone drive, but despite the you-tube reviews of some journo's, I love its sound. Discreet when you want stealth and understated driving; but crank it up and it creates great aching face muscles from grinning like a kid in a sweet shop.

Kept my eye on tyre pressures and oil level, but haven't had to top anything up. Car is driving like a dream. No squeaks or rattles or dramas. Every now and then I get the odd brake squeal, but very rare and ironically I quite like it.

Car bumper and bonnet is fairing up well... I didn't get any protection film in the end, I decided to go for fresh porsche paint as and when I need in the fullness of time. In 4,000 miles I've had one small stone chip. Its an effortless car to keep clean, car and alloys easy to clean, seems the wax I used last month is working well and everything rinses off. Think i'll give another coat end of this month to see me through to new year.

Car has seal of approval from the 4yr old, she thinks its great. Car has seal of approval from work colleagues. Car has seal of dissaproval from the wife, she thinks its a waste of money that could otherwise be spent on holidays :D

Attachments

• autumn_chill_127.jpg
    autumn_chill_127.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 8,637
Hand brake is still clearly wired up the wrong way around... muppets ;)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back