Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Outdoor car cover help

sam said:
Phil 997 said:
As Kev said the framed ones are ideal and not much more than a porsche OE outdoor cover at £350 and no messy taking off putting back on having to clean the car first etc etc.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cla...GS-140611216&gclid=CPf6iqPX8M8CFRPgGwodlKAO-g

Is that machine mart item double skinned, because we have used something which looks similar for a number of years which was single skin......................great if it's pi$$ing down with rain, but in the frosty weather we got lots of condensation freezing on the inside........sun comes out.......everything underneath gets soaked as the ice melts?????

Agreed Sam , Nothing can beat a proper garage but as a good way of keeping 95% off the car even if it does occasionally get wet from melting frozen condensation. with no wind inside blowing a cover about and chaffing you could put a cheap showerproof cover on as well for the worst of the winter especially as you probably wouldn't drive it much over that period anyway. :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
sam said:
Phil 997 said:
As Kev said the framed ones are ideal and not much more than a porsche OE outdoor cover at £350 and no messy taking off putting back on having to clean the car first etc etc.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cla...GS-140611216&gclid=CPf6iqPX8M8CFRPgGwodlKAO-g

Is that machine mart item double skinned, because we have used something which looks similar for a number of years which was single skin......................great if it's pi$$ing down with rain, but in the frosty weather we got lots of condensation freezing on the inside........sun comes out.......everything underneath gets soaked as the ice melts?????

Agreed Sam , Nothing can beat a proper garage but as a good way of keeping 95% off the car even if it does occasionally get wet from melting frozen condensation. with no wind inside blowing a cover about and chaffing you could put a cheap showerproof cover on as well for the worst of the winter especially as you probably wouldn't drive it much over that period anyway. :thumb:

True, maybe a good soft indoor cover on the car first and the shower proof item to keep the lot dry.....................belt and braces???

Buy the large size outdoor cover from Halfords. Its breathable, inside is fleece-lined, outside is waterproof. Has three straps to keep it secure.
Priced at £50.

Ensure car is clean and dry before putting on the cover.

Or spend £300 on a glove-fit bespoke cover from Porsche or someone else.

On windy cold dry days, take the cover off for half a day. Better still take the car off the CTEK charger and take it on a 50 mile drive to get all the fluids up to temp. Come home, wash the car and dry it off. Take it round the block to dry off the discs and then put back on charger and put under cover again for a few weeks. Repeat a few times October - March.

Take car out of hibernation in April and enjoy for 6 months!

The cover systems up and over has a 50mm gap around the bottom for ventilation
I'm not sure how effective this is but it keeps the crap off the car and as said on a dry day you can open it up and air the car.

Phil, that's a nifty little DIY shelter so why not. :thumb:

I bloody hate cars under trees can you not cut the damn thing down ?
:saw:

KJD said:
The cover systems up and over had a 50mm around the bottom for ventilation
I'm not sure how effective this is but it keeps the crap off the car and as said on a dry day you can open it up and air the car.

Phil, that's a nifty little DIY shelter so why not. :thumb:

I bloody hate cars under trees can you not cut the damn thing down ?

:saw:

Yea I thought so mate can't have cost the guy more than £50 to make it and it does the job :thumb: so why not, problem is this thread has now got me looking at the machine mart ones as I didnt know they were so cheap and I would just leave the door rolled up as its my daily.

If you have that structure on your house front drive, you may need planning permission if the neighbours view is that car port where it was an open lawn and drive.

Bit like people who stick a bl**dy big caravan on the front of their drive looking a monstrosity for the neighbours. Around this part of the world neighbours are a bit picky about the view from their homes at the house opposite and some are subject to planning regulations if you want to erect a structure on the open lawn and driveway.

You would have to be careful on a windy day with the door open as you may find it in next doors garden :eek:

I have an old WW2. Anderson shelter in the garden it's open both ends, drive in drive out :grin:

Not sure the arse end would go through though :nooo:

KJD said:
You would have to be careful on a windy day with the door open as you may find it in next doors garden :eek:

I have an old WW2. Anderson shelter in the garden it's open both ends, drive in drive out :grin:

Kev your living the 1940s mate, anderson shelter in the garden and when I was with you on Thursday all those Spitfires flying around all day. Why doesn't my exhaust sound like those merlin engines :grin: :grin:

Phil 997 said:
KJD said:

Kev your living the 1940s mate, anderson shelter in the garden and when I was with you on Thursday all those Spitfires flying around all day. Why doesn't my exhaust sound like those merlin engines :grin: :grin:

Lol, It was here when I bought the place but I don't think it's seen any action.
I use it now for garden storage.

You can never tire of the sound of a Merlin they have been buzzing around all weekend.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back