Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Owning a Porsche in Africa

megdog

Anyone ever owned or considered owning a 911 / Cayman / Boxster in Africa? I'm emigrating to Kenya which means having to part with my beloved 991.1 Carrera S.

Having been out there the roads are nowhere near as bad as I thought. And for a Sunday morning crack of dawn car could be awesome.

Any advice or thoughts?!?!

Personally I would refrain from such vehicles in Nairobi -
I'd feel far happier in an under the radar Land Rover or similar

Totally unsuited for the roads ANYWHERE in Kenya.
Simple recommendation - chop it in before you go and buy a Land Cruiser when you are there.

Importing a car attracts a lot of tax - and the KRA man will want you to pay the KRA tax plus his personal provident fund, otherwise he will make your life difficult trying to clear goods at customs, may even seize the car!

It's a while since I was in Kenya but from what I remember I wouldn't dream of running a 911 there. Too much dodgy attention. As suggested, a 4x4 will be massively more suitable.

Few years back I went to Colombia, I sat in a relative of a relative's 4x4 and noticed the car pulled away but very heavy. I asked I was told it has been made bulletproof!! Safety and not attracting too much attention comes first. I saw no Porsche there. Kenya is probably even worse, to me, it's a No, No! :eek:

No actual experience in Africa but my prejudiced would expect..

Attachments

• img_3859_109.png
    img_3859_109.png
    707 KB · Views: 5,021
Just my opinion as a Kenyan

posrche has recently opened up an official showroom and service centre in partnership with a local company and seem to be doing well. However, 99.9% of the porsches out there are either cayennes or macans and it's definitely more a case of brand ownership/showmanship than practicality out there.

There are a few other models out there but majority are classic 911s heavily modified for rally use. Panameras are now being advertised and there's one or two on the road but again I don't think it's been thought through.

The roads are, relative to UK, utter crap and will cause major issues for a sports car like yours. It's just not worth it. Factor in the traffic and unless you're using it at 2am on the main highway which isn't that long anyway, there's really no place or time you'll be able to enjoy it.

You will generate attention but more curiousity and not people trying to shoot up your vehicle. That being said you'll probably get tired of people touching and running their hands across your car (if you are particular about your paint and damage then You'll hate this almost immediately as there's no concept of private property for cars) and there's a probably chance you may find bits of bodywork missing or mirrors snapped off (or as I've experienced once, some **** trying to hurl $h 1 te through the window if you don't give them money)

And this all waits for you after, as someone accurately posted above, the hassle and cost of getting your car into the country. It won't come in under the radar so I'm sure customs will give you the full experience. Ask me how I know....

That being said, if you really want a Porsche pick up a cayenne or macan there but again due to tax the vehicles can cost up to twice the amount when comparing it to here. Especially now with the exchange rate!!

Otherwise, as other posters have said, get the best land cruiser money can buy and explore the country. So much to see and do and that car will get you there.

Sorry for the long post but hope it helps. Ps ignore the pic above no ones going to shoot at you. And you don't need a bulletproof car (unless you have reason to hide behind it or are a public servant embezzling or using tax payer funds)

shalz said:
Just my opinion as a Kenyan

posrche has recently opened up an official showroom and service centre in partnership with a local company and seem to be doing well. However, 99.9% of the porsches out there are either cayennes or macans and it's definitely more a case of brand ownership/showmanship than practicality out there.

There are a few other models out there but majority are classic 911s heavily modified for rally use. Panameras are now being advertised and there's one or two on the road but again I don't think it's been thought through.

The roads are, relative to UK, utter crap and will cause major issues for a sports car like yours. It's just not worth it. Factor in the traffic and unless you're using it at 2am on the main highway which isn't that long anyway, there's really no place or time you'll be able to enjoy it.

You will generate attention but more curiousity and not people trying to shoot up your vehicle. That being said you'll probably get tired of people touching and running their hands across your car (if you are particular about your paint and damage then You'll hate this almost immediately as there's no concept of private property for cars) and there's a probably chance you may find bits of bodywork missing or mirrors snapped off (or as I've experienced once, some **** trying to hurl $h 1 te through the window if you don't give them money)

And this all waits for you after, as someone accurately posted above, the hassle and cost of getting your car into the country. It won't come in under the radar so I'm sure customs will give you the full experience. Ask me how I know....

That being said, if you really want a Porsche pick up a cayenne or macan there but again due to tax the vehicles can cost up to twice the amount when comparing it to here. Especially now with the exchange rate!!

Otherwise, as other posters have said, get the best land cruiser money can buy and explore the country. So much to see and do and that car will get you there.

Sorry for the long post but hope it helps. Ps ignore the pic above no ones going to shoot at you. And you don't need a bulletproof car (unless you have reason to hide behind it or are a public servant embezzling or using tax payer funds)
It was firmly toungue in cheek :)

Thought so buddy, just in case someone else didn't ... :thumbs:

If you take it to Nairobi, take a drive through Kibera suburb of Nairobi in it and show it off to the natives.

I've lived in Nairobi and Nanyuki, neither place would work for any 911/Boxster/Cayman. The roads are rough at best and full of holes.

But the main issue is it would make you target, it is not like driving or owning a car in the UK!

Buy a Hilux or a Land Cruiser you'll get way more out of it out there.....

Tom

I'm in Nairobi at the moment and there are a lot of Toyotas and Nissans. I have seen one Cayenne but it could possibly be first generation.

There is no way I would drive my 911 here. If I had to have a Porsche I would look for an 10 year old Cayenne.

you'll probably see some brand new macans and cayennes if you wait long enough ...

to the OP... i'd be worried about the speed bumps:

right my images aren't coming up and i'm to stup! d to figure out ... can anyone help?[/img]

findtom said:
I've lived in Nairobi and Nanyuki, neither place would work for any 911/Boxster/Cayman. The roads are rough at best and full of holes.

You could say much the same about South Oxfordshire/West Berks :x

was meant to be in my previous post, but here you go - i think the 991 would be fine on the local roads :lol: :grin:

Attachments

• 11218801_10100660038486617_8827286567214003970_n_181.jpg
    11218801_10100660038486617_8827286567214003970_n_181.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 4,746
  • 11351291_10100660038571447_7633405530113825887_n_134.jpg
    11351291_10100660038571447_7633405530113825887_n_134.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 4,746

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member