Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Connecting CTEK charger

olivers

Hi all

I've just taken delivery of a 57 plate 997.1 GT3 (delivered in the November so may be an 08 model).

I've fitted a CTEK charger lead to the battery and want to run the cable out through the front lid, leaving the lid popped open but the car locked.

Like my old 05 car, the car will lock and beep at me if I leave the front lid open, but unlike my old car the luggage compartment light stays on. On my 993 you can fix this by manually closing the retaining clasp and fooling the car into thinking the lid is shut, but I can't see how to do that on a 97.

Has anyone got a solution?

Any help very gratefully received.

Thank you

Oliver

I use the cig lighter adaptor on my CTEK. Allows me to plug into the centre console and close the door. No issues at all :thumb:

Thanks, really helpful, I've heard the cig light adaptor works well. Have for now managed to run the wire from the battery out past the bulk head next to the washer jets and shut the lid completely.

Thanks again

Oliver

My 996 does this but the light goes out after a while, does yours not do the same?

if you do want to leave the front open - just take the bulb out

I just put the clips on the battery (lid off) and then put the Ctek in the frunk and then run the charger lead out to an extension lead.

I make sure the lead from the charger does go over one of the closure bump stops but all is fine.

the lead from the Ctek to the plug is thinner than normal so allow you to close a boot or bonnet over it.

NLW73 said:
I just put the clips on the battery (lid off) and then put the Ctek in the frunk and then run the charger lead out to an extension lead.

I make sure the lead from the charger does go over one of the closure bump stops but all is fine.

the lead from the Ctek to the plug is thinner than normal so allow you to close a boot or bonnet over it.

This is what I do, I run the wire next to one of the headlights with a polishing cloth wrapped round it to it doesn't chafe or damage the paint. there is more than enough give in the frunk rubbers to allow a thin wire through.

If running via the cigarette lighter, is to possible to fully close the door without chopping the cable in two?

nigel99 said:
If running via the cigarette lighter, is to possible to fully close the door without chopping the cable in two?

Yes no problem at all, always done mine like this with no issues :thumb:

Although someone might be along in a minute to warn me of imminent danger :dont know:

Numbercruncher said:
nigel99 said:

Yes no problem at all, always done mine like this with no issues :thumb:

Although someone might be along in a minute to warn me of imminent danger :dont know:

Do exactly the same over bottom seal of drivers door. When closed it is possible to pull the cable through the closed door seal so it definitely doesn't clamp it to much. :thumb:

Route it out the top!

996, but you get the idea:

Optimate_Waterproof_TM-71__81423_zoom.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

aperture_117.jpg

permanent_leads_206.jpg

port_1_648.jpg

port_2_272.jpg

GT4 said:
So, now I have a charging port (waterproof connecter for a bike Optimate/DataTool/CTEK etc with in-line fuse) tucked under the bonnet lip by the windscreen wiper.

Had to extend the cable a foot or so to neatly tie wrap its way via the strut brace and around the scuttle bay to reach the corner (cable neatly tucked away out of sight under the plastic cosmetic trim covers).

Fortunately there is a ready-made aperture between the bay trim and the top of the front wing, near the bonnet hinge, allowing the cable out immediately next to the driver's side wiper spindle.

When needed I just pull the connector end out of the recess (I left about 6" slack under the trim cover), pop the waterproof rubber cap and connect the charger lead.

I can also connect up a conventional mains charger via port if necessary. No doors or lids need be opened!

Sorry, but I really don't understand all this faff. It's totally unneccesary.

I just place the CTEK unit on a wiper blade. Connect battery to the charger via the cable which you feed under the top edge of the bonnet. The rubber seal that waterproof's the boot is IN FRONT of the battery, not behind it (you can see this on GT4's picture). With the lid shut there is a 1 inch gap under the rear edge of the bonnet to the battery compartment, so you run the wire under the bonnet directly to the battery. All you have to do is leave the battery compartment lid off, which I place in the boot. I also use the spade connectors that CTEK supply, which connect to the battery terminal permanently. All I do to connect the CTEK is plug it into its orange connection.

No need to squash cables, burn out bonnet bulbs or unscrew plastic fittings.

Just close the lid, lock the car and walk away....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back