Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ragpickers Leggy 986 S.. first real problem: page 9

Just found this last night. Top work Raggy! Great project.
Nice to see you leaving all the good jobs, like the manifold studs, for Jamie. :grin:
I've spoken to you at his a couple of times, back when you had your C4S.
I bet he loves your jobs as much as mine. They always turn into a nightmare. ;)

Very impressed with your paintwork. That's one of the most expensive things to have other people sort and I've never been 100% happy with work I've had done. :thumb:

ragpicker said:
Cheers fellas!

Tom - yeah, I have an *ahem* understanding MOT chap who is very realistic about these matters! I'm sure old Demrot knows this but likes to keep everyone right :grin:

:floor: i HAVE to quote by the book ! if you want a real world answer to anything then i need PM'ing lol .

At the end of the day it helps people that read this in the future :)

If the c.v boot is clean of grease on the inside fixing edge then any fixing will hold it , ( well IMHO anyways ) my thought with useing a jubilee clip was it's a bit big and might start to cut into the boot over time hence my answer :)

Excellent work and keep my favourite post going please !!!

Marky911 said:
Just found this last night. Top work Raggy! Great project.
Nice to see you leaving all the good jobs, like the manifold studs, for Jamie. :grin:
I've spoken to you at his a couple of times, back when you had your C4S.
I bet he loves your jobs as much as mine. They always turn into a nightmare. ;)

Very impressed with your paintwork. That's one of the most expensive things to have other people sort and I've never been 100% happy with work I've had done. :thumb:

Haha, cheers Marky! Remind me, did I see you a day or so ago, or was the last time we met quite a bit back? Did you have a red 996 GT3, or do you have a silver 996?? I've got to know a few folks through Jamie but its hard to place someone from a username!! :grin:

Demort said:
At the end of the day it helps people that read this in the future :)

Good point there! Useful for anyone thinking of de-cating as it could come as quite a shock at the next MOT if you had no clue why the cat was there in the first place. :thumbs:

ragpicker said:
Haha, cheers Marky! Remind me, did I see you a day or so ago, or was the last time we met quite a bit back? Did you have a red 996 GT3, or do you have a silver 996?? I've got to know a few folks through Jamie but its hard to place someone from a username!! :grin:

Was a while back matey. When you and J were having your nightly online Nurburgring battles on Gran turismo on the PS3. :grin: Although you still might be.
I keep telling Jamie you's need an Xbox one for Forza Motorsport.

Yeah I had the red Mk1 GT3 and before that the red 964 Turbo. My mate Craig has the sorted Silver 996, (Cobra seats demo car).

I'm sure I'll bump into you again at some point. I might even get to admire the Boxster in the metal. Good to see one getting a thorough sorting. :thumb:

Ahhh! I've got you!! Yeah I remember you well now.

Its amazing how J and I didn't end up wifeless back then with gran turismo every night. I don't ever remember beating him either!

This boxster is a labour of love to be sure. The paintwork still needs a final sand and polish to be perfect but I had to stop doing it at the time because the clear coat was still very soft and was ending up marred. Its rock hard now so I plan on doing a bit with it this weekend actually.

Might see/catch up with you sometime Marky!! :thumb:

Brief little update. Routine maintenance time.

It's roughly 5k miles since i last did an interim oil change, so thought I'd do a minor service.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in an earlier post but a few months ago I put a new hood on the car with a glass window. Bought it from Douglas Valley for a couple of hundred quid. Its a car hood warehouse (986.1) hood with their glass screen in, but it is vastly superior to the plastic screen that was in before.

Changing the hood takes about 20 minutes too, which was a total surprise! Basically 3 bolts hold the hood in place at each side and then the whole unit lifts out.

Anyway, back to the minor service:
Stick the old girl on the ramp:
32063811786_b7374dbccb_o.jpg

Old oil drained - the picture doesn't do it justice, it is very clear and looks like its been in 500 miles, let alone 5k.
31984658791_82da6b339a_o.jpg

A look around the car reveals that the steering rack leak is getting worse despite the jubo clips I put on the aluminium connectors... :pc: This is known to be a real bitch of a job apparently :roll:
32102988945_b64a634347_o.jpg

The 987 airbox makes changing the air filter a doddle:
32063811736_bc9fec5d30_o.jpg

Check all connections along the intake - all good!
31984658401_745d02d722_o.jpg

Diddly squat in the oil filter:
31984382201_a891b68fdf_o.jpg

Noted that the front brake pads have only about 2mm left, so change them:
31261397104_aa46f0c9b6_o.jpg

31261396444_95fba497bb_o.jpg
31261397494_ec6e1507c8_o.jpg

And bring her back down again:
31984381791_3bfefc2974_o.jpg

Before going here to be invaded by geese!
31261398204_d7d45689a3_o.jpg

:bandit:

MOT time.

I'm ashamed to say that she failed on a front cracked coil spring. I only checked them about a month ago and they were fine.. Anyway it gave me chance to try my 'change the coil springs without removing the wheels' trick.

THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT WAY TO DO THIS, I WAS JUST TRYING TO BE CLEVER (i.e. stupid)

First of all put a little loop of tie wrap through the handily placed holes in the strut
33496945883_956cf78bd3_k.jpg

Then sacrifice a 21mm socket and weld it into a sacrificial ring spanner. You'll need this because you need to remove the middle top nut of the strut (not touching the 3 mounting nuts). There is a 7mm hex head in the middle which you need to put through the socket and then the spanner to twist off the nut.
33465361464_37808fc8b1_k.jpg

Once you've undone the strut nut you jack the wheel up to compress the spring and use a long screwdriver to push the strut arm down through the top mount. Then you place the tie wrap over the lower top mount washer (which is now down in the middle of the spring) to prevent it returning.

Then you spend ages removing the spring. Or in my case I got fed up, removed the wheel and ground the old spring in half to remove
34175982521_c0afe5f83c_k.jpg

New H&R lowering spring:
34149380692_2e8cc13ba3_k.jpg

Then using spring compressors, tie wraps and gorilla tape you compress the spring into this:
33496945713_4b0542027d_k.jpg

Before popping it over the top of the strut arm:
34175983071_5cfe33a37e_k.jpg

and releasing all the tie wraps and tape. Then cut the tie wrap holding the strut down and allow it to return through the top mount. Nip up the top nut and the job is done!

The whole thing can be done without removing the wheel but its a bit fiddly to get the old spring out.

Although this really isn't the best way to do it (because if the spring breaks free it can injure you), it is the easiest because it prevents the faff of undoing all the other bolts on the control arms and sub-frames which you may also round etc.

Anyway, car now has MOT and no advisories...

:D

Blimey! :D
Nice work and glad to see your still in one piece. :thumbs:

Nice works rags. Have to say though those cable ties look really scary!

Jeez rags, you have some balls mate! No fingers, but some mighty kahunas :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back