Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 Sweet spot

Monkeynutz

Hi all

I have searched the threads regarding trying to assess which 991 model is the sweet spot for those, like me, that are on a limited budget but still have the urge to be in the 911 club.

I have spent hours on the online configuration looking at the various models and not surprisingly find myself easily putting 15k of options while still trying to be conservative-ish but always selecting the S model because in my head that's the one to have.

I recently started to consider a 911.2 having spec'd a 718 Cayman S to £65k which then prompted me to look at the used market. Not may bargains out there currently and the late 997.2 and early 991 market is really strong. I looked online at a 2012 C4S at OPC is only £5k less than a new C2! So back to the configuration tool I go!

The Carrera base model is over £9k less than a S model and only £2.5k less than a Carrera 4. Looking at the comparison charts the gap doesn't seem to justify the price difference. I get the 50hp more in the S models and the option for adding PDCC and SPASM - 20mm ride height etc but for UK road use and my somewhat sedate driving style (most of the time) the base model looks to be just right. Performance figures look impressive in the base model with the only noticeable difference being the 0-100mph at 1 sec with tenths of a second in it at 0-60mph. What am I missing please!?

My very limited knowledge and current train of thought would also lead me to believe that the additional 2.5k for 4WD is probably the sweetspot - allowing for inclusion of PDK, chrono, PSE + trinkets for the similar price as the S model.

Have I missed something that will make me regret not having an S model other than what is my head? I appreciate that older models may have had larger performance differences but it does seem negligible now.

Many thanks

Take a look at the comparative prices for equivalent mileage 991.1 base and S cars.

The % premium you pay for a used S over a new one actyally increases inferring that residuals on the S are much stronger.

This was always the case with the 997 too. Most of the £££s you save by buying the base car new are eroded with higher depreciation compared to the S.

T8 said:
Take a look at the comparative prices for equivalent mileage 991.1 base and S cars.

The % premium you pay for a used S over a new one actyally increases inferring that residuals on the S are much stronger.

This was always the case with the 997 too. Most of the £££s you save by buying the base car new are eroded with higher depreciation compared to the S.

Interesting thanks! Previously the engine sizes 3.8 and 3.6 and power delivery were apparently very noticeable so rightly the S would command the premium. I just can't help but thinking that it's perhaps not as justified as it might have been in the new models.

Only one way to really find out and try them back to back I am just trying to equip myself a little before spending some time at the dealer.

thanks again!

A more knowledgeable person than me could no doubt use Man Maths to demonstrate that due to higher residuals an S is only a little more expensive to own over 3 yrs than a Carrera.

I doubt I will ever be fortunate enough to order a new 911 but something I have learnt along the way is never settle.

You don't want to sit there one day thinking, what if. Just buy an S and be done with it!

Zen Ben said:
I doubt I will ever be fortunate enough to order a new 911 but something I have learnt along the way is never settle.

You don't want to sit there one day thinking, what if. Just buy an S and be done with it!

Wise words! :)

I think I am kidding myself with the new option but it's so damn close to the used prices if looking at a few years old that I have to consider it.

I have no idea how the 991.1 stacks up against the 991.2 but I have driven the new C4S and I instantly fell in love with it. Damn those used prices! Bad timing on my part I guess having arrived at the party somewhat late ;)

Monkeynutz said:
I think I am kidding myself with the new option but it's so damn close to the used prices if looking at a few years old that I have to consider it.

I have no idea how the 991.1 stacks up against the 991.2 but I have driven the new C4S and I instantly fell in love with it. Damn those used prices! Bad timing on my part I guess having arrived at the party somewhat late ;)

Your descriptions above are pretty much exactly the process I went through... to me, in the end, it made no sense to buy used given the prices of new and the strong residuals, for the way I was buying and running the car. There are lots of factors on this aspect though. Depends on how long you want the car, mileage etc. etc.

Whilst there is no right or wrong answer to this aspect, personally, the Carrera 2 was more than adequate, and hey, seriously, its epic!!! sure you can get an S, you can also get a Turbo, or on and on it goes. Draw the line somewhere where it puts a massive grin on your face and doesn't annihilate your bank balance as its only top-trumps in the reality of life, there's always a bigger fish... The mere 2 goes like absolute stink, and it pushes you into your seat on the slip roads, up to a max of 70 of course.

Go for a test drive!!! Drive a 2, and drive a 4 back to back. I've had 3No 4wd cars, and last couple have been RWD, the 911 has incredible grip. When i did the track day, it felt like the grip of a 4wd car, it was that good. I decided on the reduced cost, & weight ;) You do get the sexier hips with the C4S of course! and a few other bells & whistles as standard.

They're all epic, its a nice problem to have. New, nearly new or used. Always a deal to be had, and don't forget maximum man-maths rules apply. :thumb:

6appeal said:

They're all epic, its a nice problem to have. New, nearly new or used. Always a deal to be had, and don't forget maximum man-maths rules apply. :thumb:

This, this and this more! :) Great insight from your post thanks! The test drive I had in the C4S was indeed epic. I drove an Aventador on a track day and didn't like it because frankly it scared the living crap out of me it felt like a 700bhp go-kart! That C4S instantly filled me with confidence and hugged me around the country roads. Them Italian cars ain't built for the taller men ;)

I know there isn't a great deal of love for the new 6 engine but as someone who didn't have anything to base my expectations on other than an M4 it simply blew me away. If the C2 comes even close to how that feels then it's a big win for sure. I can't wait to try the older models and see if I can get close without clearing the piggy bank :)

Please delete.

Monkeynutz said:
Zen Ben said:

Wise words! :)

As 6appeal has previously mentioned there are 'always a deal to be had'. I was able to negotiate a discount with my new S4, It all helps making your hard earned money go that little further. Yes I have to compromise a little on some of the extra optional items. I have seen some 2nd hand 911.2 being priced at dealerships more than I will be paying, and my spec is not basic, such as 18 way sports seats, 4 wheel steering, Chrono pack, Bose sound system, sports exhaust, interior carbon package etc.

All of which I am picking up next week from the dealership.

29902794130_04de23bc60_b.jpg

29569658714_2178c6e04e_b.jpg

Video link https://youtu.be/ivratfGRLoU

That is simply stunning, even with the wrapping on!! :) That colour and those wheels!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Ha! Those photo's, thats practically temptation in your path lol...

Loving the carbon trim.

I can't decide on anything lol!

Well that's not true, I have booked a meet with OPC next week to rule out the 718. From a price perspective it is easy to see the pros for the Cayman..that is until I a)try to get my 6ft 3ins frame into it and b) start adding options c) residuals will be good but probably not as good as the out going models.

The problem with b is that it takes it to 4 year old well equipped 991.1 C4S and then so close to the new C2. I want to like it for financial reasons but I know I wont but I have the day off so might as well spend it doing more research.

It's all very easy to get carried away with 10 grand here and 10 grand there. PCP makes it all too easy for me to get C4S with about 10K options but I don't have the cash flow to continue the cycle in 3 years time and beyond so that option is losing favour quickly as well as the realisation of true cost of ownership over the period...ouch! PCP at BMW is one thing but PCP at Porsche for anything over 70k is a whole different level without vehicle allowances or owning a business!! Wish I still loved the BMW M4 like I once did as there are no shortage of deals on new ones right now.

So right now I am in stunning Gen2 997 GTS or nice 991.1 territory which I am very happy to be in especially if the hips are wide!! ;) My guess is that the market will be a better place to shop in once a few more new 991.2s land in a few months time and more people trade in so I sit here waiting to pounce at the one that shouts at me the loudest. Oh that and clearing out the rubbish to make space in the garage ha!!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back