Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Issue - Trucked Away

Any news/update? Will be at Precision on Saturday morning, so can take it for a test drive for you, if it sorted by then.

Yes I have an update.. just not found time to write it up correctly... this bloody day job I've got that pays for it :)

long story short.

Precision, identified the issue and 90% resolved it with two new injectors and a new O2 sensor. However there is an oil leak issue that I'll have to deal with at some point in the future, so I'll have to save and schedule that work next year.

Precision's experience shined through in their effort. They are very thorough, and now I know exactly what the issue is, rather than, we think we fixed it, just drive around and see how it goes.

Who ever tested the injectors for the last garage missed it... I've not called SBD yet but they need to know their testers missed this, and therefore cost me money. I know they did not intentionally miss this... and they had another garage look at my car... but reality is, precision got to the bottom of it in a week.

I'll provide more detail when I get a chance in the next few days.

PS I think the work might be finished by Saturday but I won't be able to pick it up till the following week so feel free to give my car some loving pats for me :)

Glad it's sorted. Will show it some tlc on Saturday.

Bit weird though.... what caused just two of the injectors to fail? Do they have any theories? Bad petrol is rather rare these days? :dont know:

Don't forget to make sure Precision keep the old injectors and you can pass them onto Raj.

Good question OC, I'll find out.

Yes they have the old injectors for me.

It does seem odd to me, if the car was playing up that would have shown the injectors up on the Bosch hammer.
I thought the injectors were checked over and an 02 sensor is an easy switch.

I can't see how these things were missed the first time round.

I appreciate these cars are not over technical, I assumed your issues were down to an erratic map as the hardware is easy to check.

Shirley the sensible thing to do would have been to replace the O2 sensor, then test drive?

If that's what they did then whoopee.

But I've never heard of injector problems on the 993 before?

(pops off to Rennlist)

Interesting and informative read..
Hopefully when you pick it up she'll
run like brand new with no further woes.. :thumbs:
Thanks for sharing..

orangecurry said:
Shirley the sensible thing to do would have been to replace the O2 sensor, then test drive?

If that's what they did then whoopee.

But I've never heard of injector problems on the 993 before?

(pops off to Rennlist)

Don't call me Shirley.

They did loads of tests first to rule things out (unfortunately for my wallet this was redoing work, but as it turns out necessary, and Precision also didn't charge me for all the hours the spent!)

Here is some of the work they carried out before they tested the injectors... They didn't go straight to the injectors as I'd told them they had just been tested and came back with a clean bill of health.

They knew cylinder one had an issue as the spark was fouled. They carried out a full test plan of the engine fuel and electrical.

They replaced the O2 sensor but it was still failing emissions. They traced all the wiring back to the DME I.E all voltages earths and resistances.

They carried out a hot engine leak down test number 1 cylinder has 10% leakage, the others are all below this reading. They said that was not high but due to the oil contamination they felt there was an internal fault; either valves, piston rings or bore pick up . They were leaning more towards a valve issue but would need to dismantle the engine to be 100% certain.

In addition, they carried out a smoke test to make sure there wasn't have any air leaks.

They did pre and post cat tests to understand the effect of my FabSpeed 200 cell cats... The fabspeed has the O2 sensor on one side, not in the middle which makes it imperfect.

They put video cameras in there to see what was happing (I can't remember exactly where.)

Then as one last check before embarking on a rebuild to fix the oil leak they swapped out the injectors with ones they had in the shop. And emissions when right down to acceptable levels.

So the said I didn't have to do the rebuild unless I wanted to address the oil leak immediately. I think they said it was likely a valve issue. But the car is now fine to drive and passes emission tests.

I'm going to drive it and then get the oil leak fixed in the oil leak fixed next year, spread the costs out a bit.

What gives me comfort is the problem is no longer 'unidentified', I know what the oil leak issue is and I can plan to get it fixed and it's not urgent.

Very odd this tale of woe! make sure someone changes the fuel filter if you have been running stale fuel it will contain a lot of water....the merest hint will corrode your injectors and cause failure, although as has been mentioned have not heard of many injector failures in these engines. The best guy I know on A/C engines is Eddie Bennett @ Silvertune in Christchurch, he has been working on Pcars for only 35 years!! used to work for/with Charles Ivey and Bob Watson back in the day! He has forgotten more than most will ever know about a/c cars.

Saw the car this morning. Looks mighty fine to me.

orangecurry said:
shirley said:

Sounds good. Is there any chance injector problems would occur after the 200 cell cat was fitted?

How much are new injectors BTW?

I'm not sure why the injectors failed, and if the 200cell cats contributed. I'll ask them when I pick it up.

new injectors £210+VAT

Christian pulled me at Goodwood.
Said it was injectors.
WTF
I thought they'd been tested.
And all was good.
That said, I bet it flies now.
With all the electrics and injectors done.
Well done.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back