Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne must have's

Cheib

Hi,

I am looking to replace our current X5 family bus with a Cayenne....probably a diesel made in the last couple of years..maybe even new id the deals are there.

From what I have read PCM was updated this year ? Does anyone know when that was in terms of car builds/registered ?

Anything else in terms of spec improvements/enhancements over the last couple of years I should look out for ?

Also what are the must have spec ? Upgraded suspension I think seems to be one ?

Many thanks

Unless you're going to pimp it on 21" wheels air suspension not necessary. PASM is fine but shoite on anything other than very smooth road surfaces.

8 speed Tiptronic is not well matched to the car when in congested traffic. Always starts off in 1st gear and then is up/down whilst in stop/start traffic. Try one and see if you like it

Pan roof is a must have if you want to sell it on for a decent price. Heated seats were an extra so check as nobody wants one without.

18 way sports seats are surblime and worth the dough. 14 way comfort memory OK.

Adapative cruise. Once you've got this standard cruise will be prehistoric

Lane Change assist works well

100 Litre fuel tank a must

Get the ambient lighting LED stuff in the doors etc.

Standard HiFi fine. Couldn't tell difference with Bose.

I dont think PCM gets the update until new model? 958 is still running 3.1. If you buy secondhand see if you can wrangle latest map update as it aint cheap

Dont get heated screen as the filament is a distraction. Go for heated steering wheel instead.

Heat insulating glass/rear privacy glass (a must)

I think electric tailgate is now standard. However once you press the key to unlock it you have to press the button in the tailgate to close it. There is no remote closure :pc:

Build quality and fit/finish trim excellent.

Computer mpg will tell you 35-45mpg which is bollox. Real world 28-34

to add

Useful real world options.

- 4 zone climate control
- front and rear heated seats
- Front Seat Memory if not already included
- Digital Radio

Expensive Gimmicks

- Seat ventilation
- Basic Sunroof as Panaromic roof is the only choice
- Anything extra that can be painted

an all Luxor Beige interior is best avoided

and Hybrid doesn't do 83 mpg, if you're lucky you'll get half of that

what matters

Pan roof
Sat nav
Air suspension
Reverse camera
Heated seats
Spare wheel
Telephone
xenon

Not sure you need 100 litre tank, my wife can do 700 miles on a tank full

:D

I was disappointed with the xenon, admittedly the PDLS is a nice touch but in terms of range/reach I expected more from xenon units.

Yes full size spare is a bonus (I had one) and most will have 100L tank as it was a no cost option. Plus for me despite having it I was still filling up every week! Downside is how long it takes to drop 95L in it on regular pumps :what:

Telephone module essential as it will be easier getting rid of Ebola than trying to sell one without it.

Agree camera very useful (as are folding mirrors) when you realise how wide the thing is trying to park it in these 'modern' car park spaces :frustrated:

Not sold on air suspension as it appears negligible value selling on it would appear. If it's black with 21" wheels when you sell you'll have a wider audience appealing to the blingmeister brigade - who will all bid you in the knackers and never turn up as their mum wont let them out after dark.

I stuck with 19" wheels as it's near impossible to scuff the alloys :wink:

Zingari said:
.... If it's black with 21" wheels when you sell you'll have a wider audience appealing to the blingmeister brigade - who will all bid you in the knackers and never turn up as their mum wont let them out after dark.

I stuck with 19" wheels as it's near impossible to scuff the alloys :wink:

we also went "yummy mummy" spec as opposed to gangster spec :thumb:

Attachments

• hpipercent20bottom_159.jpg
    hpipercent20bottom_159.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 6,172
  • side_232.jpg
    side_232.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 6,172
Hi,

I'm on my 2nd Cayenne and I'd recommend forgetting about a loaded V6 an go for the diesel 4.2. The performance is outstanding with more pulling power than George Clooney and the mpg's are brilliant. If you have any doubt about that watch the Autocar Youtube Roadtest.

As far as extras are concerned, forget 21" wheels the car drives rubbish on them, if you do anything off-road 19'' is max. Don't bother with air-suspension unless you drive on rocks.

Sunroof is also a waste of money in a car as big as the Cayenne with A/C (useful in Macan though with limited headroom).

Get full leather, reversing camera, 18 way adaptive sports seats, heated, in rear too, ambient lighting, Porsche logos on head rests. DAB radio. Cayennes also look good with roof rails and side steps and stainless from & rear under protection. Privacy glass. Don't waste money on Burmeister, Bose is ok as is the standard setup.

Enjoy,
Paul

That's very helpful Gents!

So I went to "my" OPC today and they were very helpful...I drove a 3.0d with PASM (non air) on 21" wheels.

Impressions were

- The 3.0d is pretty gutless. My nine year old X5 SD had more grunt.

- The PASM even on 21's was pretty good. My personal preference would be for Sport when driving on B roads and country lanes as I think there is too much lateral movement in comfort. Comfort on A roads and Motorways.

OPC think the best set up for a Cayenne is 20" wheels with the standard PASM. They say that the ride on air is more "floaty" and unless you tow you won't see the benefit. We do take the car to Europe a couple fo times a year very full laden...they reckon it'll be okay. Anyone found Air suspension "floaty" ?!

Other things I have learnt are that you need full leather as otherwise there's too much plastic. And I also think it benefits greatly from the Sport Design Pack.

There are some very good deals around by Porsche standards on pre-registered/demo cars and still cars available for end of year delivery.

Oh and PCM has been updated...not sure quite when this year but the latest cars have an upgraded system.

If you're looking at a latest generation 3.0D they should have sorted the oil leak out :what: But with OPC warranty you'll be covered.

I didn't like PASM 'sport' suspension on B roads especially where they were uneven/rippled as the car felt like it was skipping over them - sport setting on A Roads was superb.

Paul is right about the seats - the 18-way sport adaptive are THE best I have ever sat in. I looked hard but couldn't find one with air suspension and knowing what I know now I'd have forgone the air for the seats. Also the 4.2D is the best of the bunch and amazing on fuel but I couldn't find one in the right price bracket

20" wheels are recommended as the compromise by dealers.

Why they never made the Cayenne with the remote closing tailgate is beyond me. Dont make the mistake of pressing the button when its raining and you've got to physically go back to the car to close it :pc: (A mod is available from Germany via eBay for c£100)

vroomvroom, I thought they only supplied black to Cheshire :dont know: But I like your style as you'll be able to find it quicker in Waitrose car park :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back