Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 v Aston Martin vantage S V8

Simonl72

Possibly the wrong crowd to ask but.......

Would anyone consider a Vantage V8s over a new 991.2 if buying new? Simular price, anyone experienced the Aston?

Interested in your views good or bad.

Thanks in advance.

I've test driven one... looked and sounded nice outside, felt a bit outdated and underpowered inside and to drive.

I wasn't comfortable that an AMV8 would be able to handle year round daily use, more of a weekend driver car.

Lets be honest, nothing wrong with either of them, and a nice problem to have in a choice to make.

I also looked at another RS6, but wanted something more dynamic and efficient. The spec of the 911 was right up to date and the technology that comes as standard is very impressive.

Fell in love with the engineering of the 911 and am well chuffed that I did, as having 1,500 miles under my belt over the last couple of weeks since I picked it up, its epic, and whilst you don't buy these as a top priority of efficiency, its achieving double the mpg I had from the RS6, so thats the icing on the cake for me... so with depreciation factored in as well, this car is certainly going to be cheaper overall ownership experience.

I'd say test drive them back to back and pick whichever gives you the biggest grin. :thumb:

I have driven the AM V8Vs and V12Vs and in all areas other than external aesthetics the 911 is superior.

The AM V8 is underpowered with a terrible gear box and will depreciate quicker than any car you haven't ever owned. Not that depreciation is the be all, but if you don't enjoy driving the car (due to being under powered or having a rubbish gear box) it will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

My advice is drive them both, I have and I know which I would choose without a doubt.

I really like them. I have a 2004 996 turbo , a 1998 996 C2 and a 2007 DB9. They are all good cars in their own right. I have driven a V8 Vantage a fair amount too. For me the 911 is the better all rounder. The AM looks and sounds better, both are capable cars but at the limit the 911 has it. But you rarely reach the limit on the road, in which case looks and sound are better. You can probably see why I have both. I think Astons are great value right now.

MC

Had a test drive in an AM before I ordered my Targa, no comparison--Porsche everytime :drive:

Sold my 997.2 C2 last year and to a certain extent regretted selling it , had road tests in the 991.1 C2S and 4S but I was unable to get a deal that suited me.

By chance went to the AM dealer , ended up road testing a DB9 and a Vantage V8.

A few weeks later I drove away with a brand new N430 manual vantage .

Better buying experience By far than experienced with the OPC, superb to drive and overall a better place to be in than the 997.

all in my humble opinion of course.

I've had a Vantage V8 and as others have said they sound and look great and I like the fact that they are British. But a dated interior and technology and an agricultural gearbox and clutch spoil the experience. I have a 991.2 and the build quality, technology, handling and performance are in a different class in my opinion.

Funnily enough I was just reading an old EVO twin test between a Vantage and a 997S.

It acquitted itself well.

They said the gearbox feel reminded them of a 993's.

I would love an Aston Martin for the fact that they are such an 'event'. Shame they don't do the Vantage as a 2+2 as that is essential for me.

Robertb said:
I would love an Aston Martin for the fact that they are such an 'event'. Shame they don't do the Vantage as a 2+2 as that is essential for me.

It is called the DB9.

Back seats are smaller than in a 911, but big enough for a 7 year old to play air guitar.

It is based on the same chassis as the Vantage, the interior is practically identical.

Only availble as a V12, traditional auto or 6 speed manual gearbox on earlier cars.

MC

Ah, in-car air guitar, a crucial test of rear seat space!

Fair point, though I've always imagined that a DB9 would be a big step up again in running/servicing costs vs a V8, not that either are cars to run on a budget.

I don't think so particularly, a quick service price comparison on Bamford Rose shows there is really nothing in it:

http://www.bamfordrose.com/service-and-repair/service-pricing/

If ever you are up around the Nottingham area you are welcome to come and have a poke around mine. The DB9 is obviously bigger than the Vantage, but compared to the V8 it has over 50hp more, so it feels pretty quick. You can certainly get a V12 DB9 for the same price as a V8 Vantage.

MC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back