Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Capper's 996 C4S thread

good thread c4pperS , Look forward to reading more about what your doing ,as you sort it. :thumb: :grin:
tell me more about the sports breather is it part of the induction set up :?:

Phil 997 said:
good thread c4pperS , Look forward to reading more about what your doing ,as you sort it. :thumb: :grin:
tell me more about the sports breather is it part of the induction set up :?:

Not sure Phil?? I'm an Engineer but no Mechanic :dont know:

It's purpose, as was explained by the Technician at Porsche, was to stop oil surging into the exhaust areas on long sweeping corners, to avoid it being burnt off in the exhaust compartment. This makes sense to me but I'd have thought Porsche would have had this covered anyway via a baffled sump or some other component.

Any light shed on this to me would be welcomed :thumb:

Robertb said:
Sounds good! Car looks very clean in the pic...:thumbs:

Care to tell us more about the rare options?

Just edited my first post after decoding all the options, Thanks for the inspiration Robert :grin:

So the To Do List has had a few things ticked off recently and it's been an expensive month with Good and Bad in it!!

It all started when the diff started making a strange noise :?:

Turned out that the Axle Bearing in the Diff that had a damp patch on it had completely broken down. This in turn was rubbing against the casing.
So whilst we were stripping the diff down and replacing the Bearings, Seals and Fluids it seemed rude not to replace the fluid in the Rear Axle and Gearbox. Porsche do advise a Transmission Service at 12 years so this has been carried out now using Millers Fully Synthetic 75/90 Gearbox Oil.

Whilst dropping the front differential it was noticed that the previous repair to the front rigid brake pipes was not to a great standard :gunfire: and others were highly corroded... well when I say others I mean literally every single one on the car :eek:
so front differential already down we dropped the gearbox and replaced all brake pipes right to the calliper's with OEM parts, all the calliper's had new bleed nipples as well as these were shot!

Yes this all hurt like hell and cost a fortune and there is still more to come, but it's nice knowing all the braking and transmission gubbing's are now tip top and will be for some time. After all it took them nearly 13 years to get like this.

So carrying on...
whilst the gearbox was out it was noticed that the Fly-wheel and clutch had about 30% life left in it, changing this before the car went back together saved about 10hrs labour so I decided to bite the bullet.
I toyed with the idea of a Lightened flywheel but decided against this for various reasons, the main one being added risk to the Crankshaft.
I was also going to do an IMS bearing upgrade but it turned out that my car has the later larger diameter 997 bearing in it anyway :thumbs: these reportedly haven't ever failed, the fact that there's one in there though means my car has had an engine rebuild at some point :dont know:

I'm going to contact Porsche as well as the centres its visited to try and find out if it's had an Engine by them at some point or if the original one has been rebuilt. My current Docs all add up regarding Engine numbers but apparently you can change the V5 if a new Engine has gone in. The original V5 may have a different Engine number on it?!

The RMS was also replaced, and that's about it :sad:

The car does feel great now and a lot of things have been refreshed. Yes it's been expensive but these are all things I knew I had to do... I just didn't plan on doing them all in one visit :sad:

Will update my OCD to do list now... :grin:

-Need to sort drivers Side window regulator. (Regulator is fine but the spacer for the Boxster has been left in so window doesn't drop the last 20mm)
-Replace Rear Spoiler Brake light Unit.
-Sort issue with Head unit or CD Changer. (It wont read CD's in the disc changer??)
-Service and condition all interior leather. Pretty sure I'm gona need new door cards as parts of them make the car look like its last owner was BA Baracus. May just replace some bits with Carbon Fibre from DB Carbon, but we'll see. I'll definitely be spending some $$ there at some point!
-Seat Backs Sprayed. (Not sure how yet but I have a few crazy ideas, it'll be interesting, put it that way!!)
-Replace front top strut mountings.
-Refurbish Exhaust fixings.
-Install the Sports breather correctly.
-Brake Calliper Re-paint.
-Alloys Re-furbished. (In pretty good nick but a few annoying marks from previous balancing weights inside the rim)

Saturday morning Jobs

Few Bits to fit in the morning :saw: if I can find enough Clothes to put on to keep warm

MXIjisW.jpg

I have a new Head Light Switch and I need to take a spacer out of the Window Mechanism which requires removing the drivers door card.

Anyone know If I need to disconnect the battery to do any of this??
I don't wana blow any fuse's or set airbags off ideally.
Also can Disconnecting the Battery for any length of time cause any issues on these cars? :lol:

Sorry for the late reply, look at the Pelican site, no need to disconnect the battery but I would disconnect the battery before delving into the window mechanism, you don't want it to go up or down while you are in there as you may lose a finger. Disconnecting the battery is easy but don't forget to put the key in the ignition for a minute first to avoid setting off the alarm.
Mike

Are you local to Wolverhampton? I work on the i54 estate just behind it.

jplportugal said:
what does the 09991 - Manufacture from the exclusive programme option relate to?

I'm Pretty sure all C4S were manufactured from the exclusive programme buddy, think its because they had so many options as standard.

mr gill said:
Are you local to Wolverhampton? I work on the i54 estate just behind it.

No not in Wolverhampton Mr Gill, bout an hr away.

Thanks for the advice Maldren, sorry for the late replys :thumbs:

So finally got round to sorting this out... this was my drivers window in its lowest position.

WihZqew.jpg

And this is the Torx bit holding a wedge in place to stop it dropping further. Apparently its the same mechanism for a Boxster and this is why there are two settings.

j1TeQxY.jpg

When you take this out the next screw and wedge that's about 40mm lower becomes the stopping point.
I then cleaned all inside and around the door to fit a new membrane. Not taking any chances with water ingress :hand:

mcaKrE4.jpg

vTfMVrr.jpg

The Head Lights would occasionally not come on straight away, and the seal in my fuel cap was pretty perished hence I fitted a new Headlight switch and Fuel Cap as well. Fuel cap was only £8 from Porsche.... :what:
Gave her a wash and that was it for the day

MDnCAZV.jpg

New "To do list..."

-Replace Rear Spoiler Brake light Unit.
-Sort issue with Head unit or CD Changer. (It wont read CD's in the disc changer??)
-Service and condition all interior leather. Pretty sure I'm gona need new door cards as parts of them make the car look like its last owner was BA Baracus. May just replace some bits with Carbon Fibre from DB Carbon, but we'll see. I'll definitely be spending some $$ there at some point!
-Seat Backs Sprayed. (Not sure how yet but I have a few crazy ideas, it'll be interesting, put it that way!!)
-Replace front top strut mountings.
-Refurbish Exhaust fixings.
-Install the Sports breather correctly.
-Brake Calliper Re-paint.
-Alloys Re-furbished. (In pretty good nick but a few annoying marks from previous balancing weights inside the rim)

Getting there with all the maintenance now. Should hopefully be able to start with some fun stuff soon.

An update on my Engine number as well...
Turns out the car has had its original engine number its whole life so no new Engine. I guess it could have been rebuilt or maybe the IMS bearing was just replaced with the Larger diameter 997 one by a previous owner??
I'm tempted to start calling individual Service Centres or maybe even contact previous owners as I'm sure the Ceramic discs have been replaced at some point as well, they are like new and I've done 83k now!!

I can't believe people wouldn't keep receipts like this with the car??? Surely hefty engine work and Replaced PCCB bits would cost a decent amount and add to resale value!!

Good for me though as the more I learn about my car the better a buy it seems to be :D

Hi looks good and I agree about not cutting corners.
Just found that the carpet along the bottom of my doors is very wet so I'll be doing the membranes, did you find a reasonable price source and what did you use to 'glue' them in?
thanks
Mike

Good work Cappers!

Similar to do list as my C2 and I had my Indy remove the wedge from my drivers window last October. I'm sure he got in through a hole in membrane to avoid replacing it.

Car looks great anyway. I must get me some snow foam this year. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
Good work Cappers!

Similar to do list as my C2 and I had my Indy remove the wedge from my drivers window last October. I'm sure he got in through a hole in membrane to avoid replacing it.

Car looks great anyway. I must get me some snow foam this year. :thumb:

Thanks Marky

As someone said to me the other day... "our cars are never finished"

Snow foam is great, it's all about doing as little as possible when actually washing with a mitt, as this is where the damage is caused in the washing process.
Someone on another thread said you can remove the wedge without taking it all apart but I don't see how as the only place I could get to it was in the fully down position at which point the speaker is in the way and needs to come out?
Any way... I've posted more info on doing this than I could find, so hopefully this will help somebody else. I would just add that you need to make sure you disconnect the battery before the airbag or you will end up with an airbag fault :frustrated:

maldren said:
Hi looks good and I agree about not cutting corners.
Just found that the carpet along the bottom of my doors is very wet so I'll be doing the membranes, did you find a reasonable price source and what did you use to 'glue' them in?
thanks
Mike

I noticed about 4x bungs in the bottom of the door Maldren, you need to open the door and lay on your back under it to see them, but maybe take one of these out and see if any water is gathering... I was surprised how much damp was in there actually :eek:
I got the Membrane from Porsche for £43.86+VAT
Thought this was steep but couldn't see them anywhere else and I was ordering other bits anyway so :dont know:
They come with a glue on them and are easy to fit :grin: remember to order a few replacement clips if you take the door card off as well as I guarantee at least one will be broken!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back