Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Camel's Porsche 993 Targa Project

Chaps, just an update as I know there were recent posts complaining about a lack of content on the site beyond the usual resale and values threads.

SO progress has been slow recently due to the arrival of our first child :).

That said I have a room at home now dedicated to my parts, much to the distain of my mrs. These consist of two new rear quarters and rear bridging panel, two new bumpers, all new suspension, targa parts, the list goes on.

Below are some pics to tell the story so far, I've now lifted the Targa roof away from the body, a tortuous process of much scraping, pulling, cutting but finally managed to free the thing as you can see:

Had to buy a tool for the job :)

You can see how you have to peel the roof away front to back:

The three motors shown here, two for the retracting glass roof and one for the sunshade. You can see here how you have to cut through the bonding adhesive as you go round the rear screen, tricky.

Inspection of mufflers shows how the straps have been bolted too tight and caused corrosion, these are past repair.

New gear gator on my Aldi bought load skid :)

All suspension removed showing easy access to engine and box:

New rear bumper:

and quarter panel:

Engine out and ready for cleanup and fettling, cam covers, leads, new tray work, etc,

Shot of the bereft bay:

Finally a shot showing the dolly that I will sit the rear of the car on to transport it. Car is off for professional fitting of the rear quarters and have some minor dings removed :), it should be in there next week.

orangecurry said:
Lovely.

What swayed the NB or WB decision in the end?

Just the extra cost really, there's more than you think required for the change, also the most of the panels, WB items are much more expensive.

Trev

Trev, I take my hat off to you for doing this yourself. I am having the final bits (plastic cover strips) fitted to my car this week.

ATB
Ian

Niceone chum. It's great you've started with the hardest bit - the console tray, mat and gearstick cover :thumb: Everything else is a piece of cake :grin:

Zingari said:
Niceone chum. It's great you've started with the hardest bit - the console tray, mat and gearstick cover :thumb: Everything else is a piece of cake :grin:

Precisely, only way I could feel like progress was being made :thumb:

But could you image if I'd forgotten the cigarette lighter?, thrown out I would be :)

Trev

Millomboy said:
Trev, I take my hat off to you for doing this yourself. I am having the final bits (plastic cover strips) fitted to my car this week.

ATB
Ian

Thanks Ian, I'm doing a good chunk of the work myself but having it checked out on a jig and new quarters fitted professionally. It will also require a full respray too at the appropriate time.

Trev

Best thread in ages!
No denying the girth of your cojones!

Great stuff, thank you of taking the time to post photos, I always find it's the last thing I want/find time to do when doing these projects.

It'll be a rewarding project when finished.

Please keep the reports coming

Ive never tried that before holding the car up with the handle on the trolley jack :D

Attachments

• b5491e9e_f11c_40f7_b86f_fc2381dadb581_112.jpg
    b5491e9e_f11c_40f7_b86f_fc2381dadb581_112.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 8,414
Oh Car-o-liner

I'll get my coat :coat:

Folks,
some more progress made recently so I thought I'd post some pics:

Car loaded and ready for trip to the garage:

Work is being done at CrashUK in Bolton, you can judge the workmanship for yourselves.

Being winched onto the jig:

Sat on jig but still on trolley:

Car now secured to jig with custom welded brackets, N/S rear leg was 4mm (due to wheel impact) out of factory dimensions where the side panel bolts to the chassis leg, so pulled straight.

Trick here was that it was only out in one spot so had to hold the remainder of the leg solid hence chain and bracket being held from O/S, and RAM from N/S.

Rear view:

Ram setup on O/S now ready to pull small indent from chassis leg due to wheel impact, chassis leg this side was spot on and well within factory tolerance:

Here you can see how Colin has welded two plated onto the chassis to pull out the O/S indent damage:

A clearer shot:

After pulling straight, removing plates and cleaning up:

Now fill the area:

It's always best to pull the damage in the panel back to where it was to ensure the best fit when installing new panels:

Same on N/S, impact pulled back on panel, not to save panel just to ensure everything goes back to where it should be:

All engine aperture measurements taken and compared to factory, rear quarters now removed on both sides as well as the top scuttle panel.

And with those panels goes the inherent Targa rust beneath roof problems :). New panels will receive plenty of layers of protection along the top edges of the panels to ensure rust will not return.

O/S without rear quarter:

N/S without rear quarter, notice how the sill has been cut ready for new panel, this juncture will butt to new panel and be braise welded to ensure reduced distortion compared to Mig, braised welds are also much better for rust prevention.

Rear quarters clamped on for mockup purposes at this stage. The quarters will be spot welded as per the originals however Colin is going to use additional special panel bonding which conducts allowing you to spot weld through. this should help give the panels more rigidity and hopefully the chassis. Spot weld locations noted to ensure perfect match to original panels.

Rear quarters are now primed on the inside and will be seam sealed:

Checking door gaps on mockup:

Much more to come within next few weeks, paint is booked in for 2nd May.

Trev

Epic. :bow:

Good work Trev. Get stuck in there boy :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back