Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Should I track it?

isysman said:
I just sold the entire back seats setup out of my Tirbo to a guy who owns a GT3 and has three kids. He wanted to be able to take them all out so he's fitting rear seats!

dsc030_zps066a7d9f.jpg

That was in my mind but I think it needs to be a Clubsport car. After I visit the ring I will decide ;)

Bryce mate! If money and seats didn't matter then GT3 no doubt as Porsche done a great job with it.
It would be interesting to see how a schrimer m3 felt as I could imagine it having some GT3ness to it.

Took a detour after work last night , the m3 on the limit and they are bloody awesome :D
Bring the m3 to Knockhill tomorrow night and let me try that shifter out :mrgreen:

Rear seats in a GT3? Me??? .. the 14th Duke of Nurburg ?

I know the chap you sold the seats too.
Extremely nice guy.

Re: Rear seats in a GT3? Me??? .. the 14th Duke of Nurburg ?

Rsx Boy said:
I know the chap you sold the seats too.
Extremely nice guy.

Really? That's funny. How did he get on fitting them? I never actually met him, I met his father I think as he'd gone out when I arrived to drop them off.

He had not got them in when I last saw him.
We may meet in Oct at a breakfast club venue.
I will see then if he has installed.

A year later and not much has changed..

I've had the car set up better by someone local and then in Germany and it has transformed the car. Im also on sticky Direzza tyres too.

I've done quite a few UK days and the car now lives in Germany so probably nearing 100laps this summer alone at Ring. I've throughly enjoyed the car and I feel comfortable now in it after new set up. The same issues remain however - its a fat bastard and it likes to roll.

As the season comes closer to ending I am now considering my next moves. I've been asking everyone I meet for an opinion and every single one is different. Options and suggestions:

1. Keep e92, strip, lighten and cage.
2. Buy an e46 and modify to same level but at half or less than half the cost
3. Modify my existing GT3
4. 997 Cup
5. 996 Cup

With these options:

1. It could cost a further £15k
2. Cheap and cheerful but slower and more importantly an older car
3. Major financial risk
4. The business and ultimate experience but sequential and other unknown rebuild costs are scary
5. The business and H pattern box hopefully reduce running cost

So in summary, Im still stuck with a first world problem of what to do for a dedicated Ring tool - all of the above will live in Germany for duration of season.

bryce said:
A year later and not much has changed..

I've had the car set up better by someone local and then in Germany and it has transformed the car. Im also on sticky Direzza tyres too.

I've done quite a few UK days and the car now lives in Germany so probably nearing 100laps this summer alone at Ring. I've throughly enjoyed the car and I feel comfortable now in it after new set up. The same issues remain however - its a fat bastard and it likes to roll.

As the season comes closer to ending I am now considering my next moves. I've been asking everyone I meet for an opinion and every single one is different. Options and suggestions:

1. Keep e92, strip, lighten and cage.
2. Buy an e46 and modify to same level but at half or less than half the cost
3. Modify my existing GT3
4. 997 Cup
5. 996 Cup

With these options:

1. It could cost a further £15k
2. Cheap and cheerful but slower and more importantly an older car
3. Major financial risk
4. The business and ultimate experience but sequential and other unknown rebuild costs are scary
5. The business and H pattern box hopefully reduce running cost

So in summary, Im still stuck with a first world problem of what to do for a dedicated Ring tool - all of the above will live in Germany for duration of season.

1. Adding a cage adds weight.
2. How fast is fast...can still be expensive, base car is cheaper but modding parts similar
3. Can you afford to bin it
4. Pain in the ar5e to get it to a circuit, the box will need a rebuild at some point
5. As 4 but no box costs

If you want a race car experience then get a radical or something. For a dedicated ring tool with number plates then keep developing the e92 or go the e46 route and have just as much fune for less cash & risk.

1. Adding a cage adds weight.
2. How fast is fast...can still be expensive, base car is cheaper but modding parts similar
3. Can you afford to bin it
4. Pain in the ar5e to get it to a circuit, the box will need a rebuild at some point
5. As 4 but no box costs

If you want a race car experience then get a radical or something. For a dedicated ring tool with number plates then keep developing the e92 or go the e46 route and have just as much fune for less cash & risk.

1. Even with a cage added by the time I go carbon doors, plastics windows, complete interior strip incl stereo, nav, carpets and even wiring loom I am confident I could get the car to 1350kg.

2. All of the above are fast enough. Its about fun for me, and part of that is knowing I can ring its neck every trip and it (touch wood) takes it in its stride.

3. Affording is one thing, being comfortable with it is another.

4 & 5 are probably - sadly - out.

The Radical and similar do absolutely nothing for me Im afraid and as you mention being a dedicated Ringtool it needs to remain (or become) road legal.

Sounds like its the bmw route then. E46 may feel bit old fashioned vs the e9x but sub 1250kg is possible if you are going to do windows, roof and doors etc i would imagine. Less hp though so its all a trade off. Both well trodden paths..not much fun on the drive out there though :grin:

Senoj said:
Sounds like its the bmw route then. E46 may feel bit old fashioned vs the e9x but sub 1250kg is possible if you are going to do windows, roof and doors etc i would imagine. Less hp though so its all a trade off. Both well trodden paths..not much fun on the drive out there though :grin:

Lol...that may well be..but for this time around it will be a whole lot comfier !

..at least on the way out. 8)

Fortunately I have a trailer for the journey so I can get a comfy seat :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back