Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Issue - Trucked Away

I've recently had a similar problem

Strong smell of unburnt fuel on start up
Tickover rough and usually stalled when I tried to pull away, then wouldn't start.
Down on power and would give symptoms of running out of fuel when on overrun at motorway speeds.
Seemed to be running really lean and probably wouldn't pass the emissions test.

Turned out it was a failed lambda sensor!!

911 sport in Horncastle sorted it and it's been fine since, I've even done 2,000 miles in Europe without a single misfire.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Good decision Cam ........ if they can't get to the bottom of the problem nobody can ....... good luck.

cambjones said:
Ahhhhh..... engine issues....

I took it for the annual MOT at Kwikfit.. and it failed emissions. They suggested taking it for a blast and then trying again... I drove it home around the corner it started behaving like it did on that fateful day when I had to have it trucked away. It didn't start smoothly. I had to put my foot on the accelerator to get it to fire up.. and it coughed a little. then the car had more movement than normal, ie like everything wasn't balanced, like one of the cylinders was not in unison with all the others.

It sounded rough, then a few hundred meters down the road it was running fine again. I decided not to take it for a blast and risk doing damage. When I got home I could smell fuel.

So I've decided to take it down to Precision Porsche on Saturday. Everyone speaks so highly of them... I feel like they'll get to the bottom of this once and for all.

I don't understand - why don't you take it back to the first garage?

As they've replaced everything, it's certainly going to be easier for any other garage to find an issue, but were you not going to take it back as they were worried about cylinder 4?

If there is a problem with no.4, then the first garage have found the problem?

With all due respect to the first garage ...... to be honest I don't think it was up to the task ....... in my opinion best to move on to resolve the problem with a garage that has an excellent reputation especially with the 993 ...... just saying ...... :)

Hey chaps.... I'm turning out to be probably the most promiscuous service person...and I want to be loyal. In my ownership since Jan 2010, it started at Paragon, then OPC Byfleet, then Porsche Torque Heathrow, then 911 SBD for this most recent issue (because they were the only one that was open sat afternoon when I had the engine issue)

I'm still trying to find the right garage match/relationship that works for me...

I think 911SBD were pretty good, I liked Raj, not a bad communicator, some good air-cooled experience, reasonable price labour £65. However, Raj was not always in (he owns the business) and I called him yesterday when I had this issue and he was not in for the day.

I thought if I'm there is a chance this is going to need a lot of work (£2k+) I want to be absolutely sure I'm with the right guys, and set up a future service relationship also.

Precision seems to get so much positive feedback on here I thought I'd give them a call. I spoke to Mark and then Peter and I just got a good feeling from them. Similarly to 911SBD they steered me away from a rebuild which I always appreciate. They also said they wanted all previous notes so they could avoid duplicating work. I also like the fact they have invested in a lot of Porsche service equipment which makes me feel like they are better prepared...

They are slightly more expensive at £75 labour.

I was trying to decide between Precision, 911SBD & Porsche Torque.

Sid at Porsche Torque also very good, and quite cheap too, small operation, direct relationship with Sid who works on your car, but he doesn't have the facilities that Precision have, which I felt was important for what I'm about to embark on.

Plus the drive down there is on country twisty roads... rather than North Circular or through London... :thumbs:

I'll definitely get them to check the lambda sensor, thanks Chris-mac. Your issues sound very similar to mine.

Hey Mads - my point is that if it is engine/cylinder issue, then the first garage ARE up to the task.

Why take it all that distance, especially if there is a real engine issue?

And CJ - I would go to Sid rather than Precision, exactly because you are paying for their facilities, whereas with Sid you are only paying for his extensive knowledge.

My opinion :)

OC ....... I just think the issue should have been sorted after the length of time they had the car ....... and yes I would agree that Sid would also be a good option as he has an excellent reputation but still would not hesitate in using Precision even if it costs a few quid more.

Let's hope Cam gets a good result as it must be somewhat of a worry for him.

Decisions, decision... Thanks for your opinions guys, helps me consider all options.

What an awful situation to end up in. I hope it's all resolved soon and without too much extra cost.

Cam, a wise chap named Colt frequents and occasionally posts on this forum. He was on the Dinslaken trip earlier this year and has extensive experience working on air cooled.

LondonRob's car had an issue on the trip which he resolved quickly. The man knows his spuds from his onions. Perhaps the highest praise is that Dom Morton has used his skills on the Domobile itself.

I would PM him and ask him to have a look. He may travel. The Precision chaps are good as well. I feel your pain.

Colt AKA Christian is very simply the most dedicated and knowledgeable 993 doctor I've ever met. He's overseen the care of my cars for years in his role at a known Indy in Wilts, but has now gone it alone and will be very successful indeed I am sure.

I've seen him work out and fix things others have failed to many times over. I'd say his main quality is not to jump to conclusions. He considers every move like a chess master.

Whilst Precision are top notch, as are Ninemeister, I've seen Christian's thought processes at first hand, and my car's going to him from now on . . . no greater praise etc . . .
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Hey guys. Thanks for the comments.

I bit the bullet this morning and took it to Precision. I met Jonny and I got a good feeling they are going to attempt to minimise effort/cost which I think may have been some people's concerns that jobs escalate easily.

Whilst they want to diagnose themselves they will leverage prior work investigations done by other garages. Jonny also highlighted that 993s typically have bulllet proff engines and very rarely need a rebuild. He also touch on a few examples of simple things that can be done to avoid large jobs.

So I feel reassured they have my interests at heart and time will tell. I've asked them to document with photos what they find. I'm a hopeless mechanic and half my enjoyiment with my 993 is the education process.

We chatted for some time about prior work done, mods I've done which could be a variable. Also as we chatted it became apparent the issues I have are mainly when the car is running hot.

Anyway I do feel pretty disloyal not going back to 911 SBD beause they weren't bad. However I get the feeling Raj is a professional and whilst disappointed I've gone elsewhere I bet he'll be willing to help if Precision need to call him.

Anyway I'll update as I go. I just hope it turns out to be something simple/cheap.

Christian also sounds the goods. Where is he based now he's out on his own. It must cost him a lot to buy all the equipment to set up shop. Good for him. I've seen him post some very insightful comments on here for others. If I was under less time pressure I might have been able to consider him too.

By the way. It started up well, a bit bumpy for the first 20 seconds and then ran perfectly all the way (40m) to Precision. Felt tight as a nuns nasty. But knowing it failed emissions I know there is some deeper issue.

I was lucky that ECP were doing a special offer at the time and was able to get the OEM leads, caps and rotors for under £300 all in. Not too bad a saving for a day's work and some skinned knuckles. :dont know:

ECP are doing 30% off at the moment, but leads and caps still cost £362.58, is this a good price??
Or, should I hang on a bit longer to see if they do a better deal over the next year?

Car parts saver have them on offer on the bay for £244.99

From what I remember these are just ecp under a different guise

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back