Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What size sim card goes into the 991.2?

Rayo2703

I am about to take delivery of a brand new 991.2 4S and am looking to put in a sim card to get the new pcm functions. Does anyone know if it takes the micro, nano or standard card size?

Also if I have that just for data can I still use my iPhone via Bluetooth for calls?

Its a standard size SIM, I bought a Three 4G payg card of 12gb for £30.

Memory card is also standard size, 128gb cards on Amazon for £30.

There is a bit of a mini technology clash with the PCM...

If you plug in your phone and use the apple car play, it disables the PCM phone functions. it still works as a handsfree phone, but only via the car play interface. you cannot use the PCM for selecting contacts, or in the mini dash screen whilst connected to car play. It would be nice if you could use either, and not one or the other.

Also

If you put a sim card in your PCM, and connect your phone to the PCM, it uses the PCM SIM card as a default for any phone data, instead of your phones SIM contract data. Personally, I want the PCM sim to feed data to things like the mapping and traffic, but I want my phone SIM to feed data for anything else.

I was going to buy an SD card for a secondary source of music, but then realised that I had about 4 old iPods in a draw at home, so dug out an old 120gb iPod and have updated that with my music library, so it cost me nothing and I've left that plugged into the glove box usb, works a treat.

I have spent a bit of time with the dealer on the connectivity of the systems, it is very good and very quick, but just a few initial niggles it seems. Dealer reckons that another major software update is coming in November...

A final nice touch, is that my car is also connected to my home wifi. So any mapping or software updates etc are done over my home broadband. Pretty epic that. :worship:

That is really helpful. I was thinking of getting a 3 mobile unlimited data card for the PCM functions and using my iPhone on Bluetooth for phone functions. If I plug in my iPhone for Apple CarPlay will the PCM still use the 3 mobile card for data or will it default to the iPhone? I only have 1gb of data on my iPhone so that will not last very long at all.

How will I update the software when the November update comes our? Is it automatic or is there some sort of reminder that comes Up?

I believe that the PCM will default to the installed sim card, unless you actively connect your phone in the settings to the PCM connect software system.

No idea how the software is notified/updated, dealer intimated that you can do it over a wifi or 4G connection... the Software update is apparently going to be linked to the first customer deliveries of the new Panamera in a couple of months time.

Apologies I can't answer conclusively, still early days playing with the system.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back